Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joscience

Aloe 'Silver Ridge' big plant, flowers too!

joscience
14 years ago

I was out looking for some peat-free soil last weekend, and found a 2-gallon pot of Aloe 'Silver Ridge' at a local chain nursery. For $15, I just couldn't pass!!!! A. 'Silver Ridge' is a Kelly Griffin hybrid that is being mass propagated by big commercial nurseries here in SoCal (along with A. 'Pink Blush').

In a break from habit, I used this vivid, beautiful turquoise blue pot my wife bought. The bright pot definitely gives the Aloe a run for its money in terms of attention, but all in all, I would say it's a success!

{{gwi:624580}}

Lots of color goin' on!

{{gwi:624583}}

I never tire of photographing flowers...

{{gwi:624591}}

Classic KG texture and contrast on the foliage.

{{gwi:624594}}

It's a beast!!!

Comments (8)

• paracelsus
    14 years ago

Nice plant AND container. Love the close-ups. It's the texture of this hybrid that is most interesting, but the color in the flowers is great too. I also have this plant, and other hybrids derived from it. If each rosette is worth $4, and it looks like you have more than a dozen, then this $15 plant was worth at least $50! What a steal! :)

Brad

• caudex1
    14 years ago

Love those KG textures!!

• joscience
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Brad, do you know what other hybrids have come from 'Silver Ridge'? In fact, do you, or anyone else, know of anywhere that has a list of KG hybrids? Gotta catch 'em all!

Caudex, have you seen any of Tim Harvey's hybrids? He really has some incredible stuff going. Since he isn't naming, or even numbering them, I don't think he is trying to get anything stable for mass propagation. More like a whole bunch of one-offs that are totally spectacular. He had a few for sale at Intercity, I bought one that actually didn't have much texture, but did have some super nice marginal teeth. You were probably too distracted by his Commiphora to even notice! ;-)

{{gwi:616377}}
    Unnamed Tim Harvey Aloe hybrid.

• caudex1
    14 years ago

I saw a few Tim's Aloes but was quickly distracted by the Cyphostemmas. Of the ones I did see they were pretty nice...if your into that kinda thing ;o)

KG introduced 3 new hybrids at the auction I attended, don't remember the names but they were sharp looking with unusual colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: KG hybrid photos

• paracelsus
    14 years ago

Josiah, I was wrong about descendents of 'Silver Ridge'. Checking my list, I see 'Silver Ridge' is 'Quick Silver' X 'Rare Flare'. I have 'Quick Silver' and 'Silver Ridge', among others. Many of the KG hybrids I have bought recently have been un-named. There are a couple of growers nearby (Jim Smith and Tom Vincze) who are using KG and other hybrids as breeding stock, creating another group of cool looking hybrids (e.g. 'KG-14' X 'Purple Haze'). It's getting messy fast. I'm just collecting plants I really like, named or not ;)

BTW, what happened to KG-1 through 13? First numbers, then names, and now no names. I don't think even Kelly Griffin has a complete collection of KG hybrids. ;)

The market for KG hybrids is getting crazy. I know someone who sold an un-named KG hybrid on EBAY to a Japanese collector for $180!!!!

Keith, do you own all of those in your link? That is an impressive collection of photos.

Brad

• philofan
    14 years ago

I put a link to Jim Smith's hybrid. I haven't seen the parent 'Purple Haze' yet, but am curious as to its appearance.

Brad, the link in Keith's post goes to Billy's plants. There are also a few KG aloe photo posts in TGF, both named and unnamed hybrids.

Karen Zimmerman has some really nice ones growing out, but she is not selling any at this point. I will post some photos of her hybrids in the near future.

Tom

Here is a link that might be useful: Jim Smith hybrid

• succulentfan
    14 years ago

Nice score joscience!! Pretty soon the aloes will take over. ;)

I really like 'KG-14' X 'Purple Haze' great color!

Billy

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    14 years ago

I love the colors in that pot. Nice plant. I will have to wait a while for my tiny Silver edge to get a good size. I have acquired silver ridge, Pink Blush, Fire Ranch, and midnight. They are the only ones that made it into the nurseries in TX with Proven Winners. Maybe at the C&S show this weekend. I have my fingers cross. I love the KG hybrids and now New names I wish I never heard. Now I am really in trouble. But I agree It is getting messy out there I am just glad there are people concentrating on the pure guys. I am up to 18 species and I stlll never have enough.