Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ralphw_gw

Plant ID? May Be a Salvia.

Ralph Whisnant
14 years ago

I have two plants from a previous Raleigh plant swap that recently started to bloom. These plants have heart shaped pale green leaves that resemble redbud leaves. The stems are about four feet tall and have a large pink bud at their ends. From this terminal bud emerge flowers that look like a salvia blossom. Can someone identify these plants?

Comments (6)

• tamelask
    14 years ago

Sounds like rosebud salvia to me, and i did bring some to past swaps. Salvia puberala. Some are hardy; it's borderline. Mine has come back in the garden, but isn't blooming.

• karen__w z7 NC
    14 years ago

Could be either Salvia puberula or S. involucrata. Both are blooming in my yard now and have been traded at prior swaps. I love that hot pink in bloom against the changing fall foliage. S. puberula (I think I have the El Butano form) and S. involucrata (bethelii form) have been fully hardy in the ground for me for ~10 years. The Yucca Do form of involucrata has been +/- on hardiness.

• brenda_near_eno
    14 years ago

I've brought Salvia coccinea 'Coral Nymph' and Salvia microphylla 'San Carlos Festival' - both pink and blooming now.

• Ralph Whisnant
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It is Salvia puberula. The leaves on my plants are more rounded than those in the picture of S. puberula in Betsy Clebsch's book, but they look very similar to the leaves on the one sold by Plant Delights. If I bring this plant into the greenhouse, how long will it continue to bloom versus leaving it outside?

Here is a link that might be useful: Salvia puberula from Plant Delights

• Lynda Waldrep
    14 years ago

My S. puberula is 'Hildago' but the bloom looks like what is shown in the PD photo. I was told this particular one will be hardy in zone 7A. Hope so. It is blooming now. I have another pink one, too, that is much older and always blooms very late...have no idea what it is since it was a "swap" from several years ago. I plan to mulch them heavily. BTW, my brugmansias that were mulched and left in the ground over the winter are blooming up a storm now. One even has TWO different colors of blooms, light pink and yellow, on the same stem! Maybe the cold winter confused it?

• karen__w z7 NC
    14 years ago

My puberula/involucratas will take a few degrees of freezing without problem and generally bloom until about Thanksgiving outside. I don't know how long they'd go on inside, but I have a cutting of 'Yucca Do' in the greenhouse this year so I'll find out.

I have trouble sometimes telling some collections of puberula from the involucratas and have read where some think puberula should be a subspecies. My form is pretty different from the one PDN sells, in that the foliage is fuzzy and more aromatic. I had thought this was a distinguishing feature for that collection. But PDN calls theirs El Butano, too, so I remain a little confused as to which one I really have. The tag is long lost down at the bottom of the patch and my memory isn't what it used to be.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21