Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aj3000_gw

Browning citrus leaves

AJ3000
10 years ago

I have a 2.5 yr old orange tree and a 10 month old kumquat that are both suffering from browning of the leaves (see the attached photo of the orange tree - western side). The trees are located in Gilbert AZ and both get a lot of sun. The browning has become most significant in the past two weeks during which we have had very high temperatures. I water the trees deeply once a week.

Can anyone help me understand what's going on with the trees? Watering? Sunburn? Fertilizer issues? I haven't been able to match this problem to other photos I have seen of citrus leaf problems

Comments (3)

• johnmerr
    10 years ago

Sunburn. Probable cause not enough water during the hottest times. Shade cloth supported by some simple poles would help.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    10 years ago

Wow. Exactly what John said. Also, I would recommend that your first fertilizer application be in late January or early February. That way, your first new flush should have some time to harden off a bit. I would definitely take with your ag agent, local gardening center or ASU about best times to fertilize to protect that young flush. I know you all have a great fertilizer product, "Arizona's Best" that is highly recommended by our AZ Citrus Forum members. Shade cloth, paint any exposed trunks or branches with flat latex house paint cut in half with water to protect your branches and trunks from sunburn. A badly sunburned trunk at this age of tree can be fatal.

Patty S.

• AJ3000
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks very much!