Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazydogs

Weekend Trivia: Saturday

Good morning all. It dawned sunny and nice this morning, so I filled the bird feeders and bird baths and hosed off the deck. Now the sky has darkened and it looks like rain again-not that I am complaining, mind you. We are still down as far as totals go, so every little bit helps. I am not looking forward to the hot, humid, rainless summer if we aren't caught up precipitation-wise before then. Right now, everything is lush and beautiful, especially the weeds! Have I mentioned that I am thinking of cultivating dandelions? ;)

So, today's question is a combination of art and science. Leonardo daVinci invented many things: flying machine, armoured car, parachute,crossbow, machine gun, etc. One of his inventions was, presumably, intended to help him measure something that has an impact on art. Very important today in all museums and homes (even if you don't have art hanging on your walls). What did he invent? Is this too easy?

Cynthia

Comments (17)

• thinman
    12 years ago

Good morning to you, Cynthia. How about sending some of that rain up to northern Michigan? We're a little bit short this year.

I like your question, and I don't think it's too easy, at least not for me. A few measuring possibilities have gone through my head: spirit level, plumb bob, tape measure, framing square, transit level, ... That's all I have come up with so far, but I'll be digging for hints to see if I can do better.

ThinMan

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, thinking.....

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

Easy?? I have no clue. I with Annette, thinking, thinking...

Nancy.

12 years ago

Something to do with lighting?

Annette

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, yippee!

Hasn't started raining here yet, but it has turned colder than this morning. I prefer warm rain that makes the summer more comfortable rather than this when we don't need cooling off.

Not thinking of leveling for the hanging of the art...this could be another "not-well-thought-out" clue since da Vinci was such a prolific inventor. Will try to think of more clues.

Welcome back, TM. How was Arizona? Dry and warm????? Hope you had fun.

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry, Annette, not lighting, but keep thinking along those lines. I think it is surprising that an artist thought of this, but perhaps he wasn't thinking of taking care his own art as much as just randomly inventing a way to track something. Sorry I didn't come up with a clue. You'll have to settle for the hint.

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Now, you probably don't have a stand alone one of these in your home, but you do know when what it measures is off or out of whack or too little or too much...

May I say that science is a little outside my comfort zone?

Cynthia

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

So Tm had it in one??

Nancy.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Not quite. It does measure something, but not lighting or straightness *which I should have said instead of level since there is an ideal level involved. Wonder how the length of time it took his paint to dry had anything to do with this.

Cynthia

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Not quite. It does measure something, but not lighting or straightness *which I should have said instead of level since there is an ideal level involved. Wonder how the length of time it took his paint to dry had anything to do with this.

Cynthia

• thinman
    12 years ago

Hmmmmm, what could be out of whack in a home that we would notice? Walls not plumb? Floor not level? Walls not flat, but bulging? Corners not square? Colors clashing? Too dark or light? Did daVinci invent some kind of photometer (light measuring device?)

Arizona was warm alright, Cynthia. We saw 102 F on the car thermometer one day in Phoenix, and 104 the next. Sedona and the Grand Canyon were considerably cooler. We had a good time with DD1 and family, who met us there. DW didn't care how hot it was in Phoenix --- malls are air conditioned. Thanks for asking.

TM

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

Humidity reader?

12 years ago

Good one mnwsgal I think maybe you have it, since I didn't come up with anything I'm hitching myself to your coattails;).

Annette

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    12 years ago

A humidity reader would would help you estimate how long the paint would take to dry.....

Nancy.

• thinman
    12 years ago

Does Bobbie have it? It sounds reasonable. I know there is a simple kind of hygrometer you can make using strands of hair, but I didn't know that da Vinci invented it.

TM

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

**** for Bobbie, Nancy, Annette, and TM!

Yes, da Vinci created the first hygometer. Although a German first came up with the idea and drew a picture of his idea, Leonardo was the first to actually build one. It was a scale-like instrument that used a tuft of wool on one side of the balance and either wax or stones on the other (I read both, but it seems that LDV probably used wax which does not absorb water). As the wool gained or lost humidity, the balance would indicate the humidity level. I wonder if he was concerned about preserving his paintings or if it was just that inventive mind of his.

Very cool even though very crude. It would be about two hundred years before a more practical version was built. The link also notes TM's mention of one using human hair. Wonder why blonde hair was better. Perhaps our resident scientist can tell us!

Happy Sunday all. I am going to run to a nursery to look for Distylium myricoides 'Vintage Jade' and or D. 'Emerald Heights' that someone mentioned in the shrubs forum. Looks like a wonderful evergreen shrub-one 2x5 and the other 5x5 feet. Sun/shade, dry/wet...sounds like it would suit almost anywhere. I have places for both! Hope it is a good as it sounds-probably though, "if they say it is too good to be true...". ;)

Have a marvelous Sunday all and thanks for playing.

Cynthia

Here is a link that might be useful: Hygrometers

• thinman
    12 years ago

Thanks, Cynthia, though I probably don't deserve all those stars for coming up with the name hygrometer. I was just adding a little bit to Bobbie's answer.

I don't know why blonde hair would work better in a hair hygrometer, but there might be a blonde joke in there somewhere.

Thanks for the fun question, Cynthia.

TM

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert