Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
midnightsmum

Starching Crochet

Well, this is way OT, and I thought about posting on the craft forum, but whenever I post outside of this forum I never get good advice.

I have started crocheting Christmas Angels. Keeps my hands busy at work. lol. I work on the phones, brain not required. This helps keep me focused. They are then to be starched and blocked so that they standup by themselves. I have used cornstarch and sugar many years in the past, but would not like to use something like glue, or some other permanent stiffener - any ideas?

Thanks guys, I will cook some regular starch up to make an example and post it later.

TIA, Nancy.

Comments (8)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, duh! When in doubt, read the intructions, it had that info!!

Nancy - whose face is red.

• natal
    12 years ago

I have a couple of those angels. One is an ornament and the other was once a tree-topper. Her skirt isn't as stiff as it once was. Is there something I can do to make it stiff again?

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Natal - it depends on what was used originally to do the job. I am going to use craft glue, 50/50 with water to do the job. I hope to pick some up tomorrow, to try this out on the weekend. If you like, I can post pics and results when it dries.....

Nancy.

• natal
    12 years ago

I have no idea what was originally used. I bought them at a crafts fair.

I'd love to see pics when you finish.

• plays_in_dirt_dirt
    12 years ago

I read the forum nearly everyday but rarely post, so you won't recognize my name.

About starching the angels ... I crochet only flat ornaments (flakes, bells, wreaths, etc.) and starch them with a 50 - 50 solution of water and multi-purpose glue. One year I bought a "bargain" school glue for 14 cents a bottle. Don't make that mistake. All the ornaments turned a nasty, dark brown color. Really ugly. Now I buy only Elmer's. I salvaged the ornaments but it took several washings.

Hope this helps,
    Barbara in Virginia zone 7

• plays_in_dirt_dirt
    12 years ago

I read the forum nearly everyday but rarely post, so you won't recognize my name.

About starching the angels ... I crochet only flat ornaments (flakes, bells, wreaths, etc.) and starch them with a 50 - 50 solution of water and multi-purpose glue. One year I bought a "bargain" school glue for 14 cents a bottle. Don't make that mistake. All the ornaments turned a nasty, dark brown color. Really ugly. Now I buy only Elmer's. I salvaged the ornaments but it took several washings.

Hope this helps,
    Barbara in Virginia zone 7

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Barbara - I appreciate your input. These angels are 3D, and lots of work. That is why I am wary of what I am doing. Pattern Book says craft glue, 50/50 with water, but since they must 'stand' on their' skirts, it ain't enough. I bought some 'podge' stuff at the dollar store, but it is lumpy - not wasting $$'s on that again. I think that good craft glue, full strength, may be the way to go - again, been busy, will try to get and post pics!!

Thanks All, Nancy.

• plays_in_dirt_dirt
    12 years ago

Nancy, I think you're right about the craft/multi-purpose full strength being necessary to make the angels "stand" on their skirts. I don't make the dimensional items because I didn't know what kind of form to pin them to for drying. That's why I stick to flat ornaments. What kind of form do you use for shaping/drying?

Here's a good link discussing different stiffeners. She has an embedded link on 3D items:
    http://crochet.tangleweeds.com/stiffeners.html

Hope this helps,
    Barbara in Virginia zone 7a