Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laaz_gw

McKenzie Farms 8-28-05

18 years ago

As promised I visited Stan "The Citrus Man" McKenzie today. Great trip with the wife & kids (Even if the kids decided to stay in the car & run the stereo & A/C without the car running, killing the battery. Stan's son had to jump start me ;) ) Stan has over 60 varieties of citrus now & some new ones I've never heard of. On the word of Pecanman I bought a Miyagawa Satsuma. Stan says Pecanman says this is an excellent Satsuma. Also filled my truck up with everything I could fit in, including 15 rootstock...

Stan with a Swingle tree behind him.

{{gwi:617259}}

Comments (18)

• 18 years ago

St. Anne early fruit is almost double the size of later ripening varieties.

{{gwi:617262}}

• 18 years ago

Changsha Mandarin

{{gwi:617264}}

• 18 years ago

Various Citrus trees

{{gwi:617265}}

• 18 years ago

Here are some just budded tree's

{{gwi:617267}}

• 18 years ago

And a photo of my truck loaded with new tree's

{{gwi:617268}}

• 18 years ago

The wife & kids had a great time. Stan really knows his citrus, I'm sure I'll be back up to get some more new varieties before long. Anyone near enough to make the trip should really visit.

• 18 years ago

Laaz, what a great haul you've come home with..Where did the family sit? LOL..Nice trees..Toni

• 18 years ago

Laaz..Looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you digging all those holes. If it gets to be to much for you let me know.LOL
    Nice tree's Lazz Very nice. Best of luck with 'em..You Lucky Dog...Dale

• 18 years ago

Here's another large assortment of citrus

{{gwi:617269}}

• 18 years ago

Toni. I had to squeeeeeze them in ;)

Dale. Yeah I have tomorrow off, I'll be busy.

• 18 years ago

I did not see a picture of Laaz and Laaz's family. Stan is one of a kind. Although I have never met him personally, (YET - BUT WILL SOON) I have talked with HIM via e-mail. Another big long time name in citrus that I must meet is Sherwood Akins of Louisiana a real old timer. - Millet

• 18 years ago

Mr. Akins is definitely a citrus old timer, especially when it comes to cold hardy stuff. I visited with him several years ago at his home. I went to check out his citrus (including the impressive Thomasville TREE in his yard), but left there wanting to plant jujubes, mayhaws and several other non-citrus plants. At the time he was preparing an order for Jerome Black (Oregon Exotics). If you remember the company, they offered all types of cold-hardy citrus and other unusual stuff. As it turns out, they got much of their stock from Sibley, Louisiana -- until Jerry flew the coop and shut his business down.

• 18 years ago

Hey Millet. Sorry no pics of the family, my son was acting up & my wife was dealing with him & his sister. I told Stan you would be attending the Expo. He is really excited about this years Expo. He also informed me that a friend in GA is working on & very near a new Changsha "Seedless" Mandarin variety.

• 18 years ago

Great pictures Laaz! Your car reminds me of mine when I made my journey down there in early spring. We had the SUV packed! I'm tempted to make another trip to his farm, but I guess I'll wait until the Citrus Expo in a couple months. Maybe I'll see you all there.

{{gwi:617270}}

• 18 years ago

Another famous person in the citrus industry that I would add to my list of people I would like to meet, is Mr. Bonnie Childers of Texas. Mr. Childers posts on this forum from time to time under another name. I found out who he actually is just today from a large citrus wholesaler in Texas. - Millet

• 18 years ago

Millet:
    I can't agree more.
    Mr. B. L. Childers (also known as Buddiman) have helped me so much regarding grafting and many other things on his private emails to me.
    He even sent me trifoliate seeds which are now about 5 inches tall and are now vigorous and green.

• 18 years ago

Millet..I also got some private emails from him. I didn't know who he was, He was very nice an helpful. I personally emailed him at that time to thank him for his help. I still have your e-mails Mr Childers about T-Budding and how to wrap them. Thank you Millet for bringing this to light. And Thank You...Mr Childers once again for your e-mails...Dale

• 18 years ago

Yes indeed Mr. Childers has helped many people on this board. I'm sure he will continue in the future. He is a very important asset to this forum & the citrus industry north of the citrus belt.