Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
v1rt

ok to transplant?

v1rt
15 years ago

Hi folks,

I widened my front bed. Now, I need to transplant my 3 yr old low growing evergreen closer to the edge of the bed. Is it ok to transplant them now? Do they have deep roots?

Here they are. I'm not even sure what type it is.

Thanks!

{{gwi:682855}}

{{gwi:682857}}

Comments (11)

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Junipers. With summer around the corner, timing is poor. Fall would be better. You may or may not find these hard to move.

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the heads up. I'm in zone 5a. It starts to get hot here around late June. Is 1.5 months not enough for these Junipers to establish when I transplant them?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

in my z5 MI... just north of you..

this is just a week past perfect time..

ken

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hi Ken,

Would that mean, don't do it? :(

• prostrata
    15 years ago

if you move them now, they'll be fine, just give them plenty of water from now till the fall. Kinda hard to kill junipers...

15 years ago

yes within the next 2 weeks for best chances...

i wouldnt be surprised of some of the branches have rooted in ...

gently lift the spreaders.. and if you see they are rooted ... you can cut them off.. before the roots .... AND LEAVE them there... and move out the main tree ... and move the others in fall ...

i hope you have read enough of the other posts to know about PROPER watering.. PROPER mulch.. and all that stuff ...

ken

• v1rt
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks folks! :)

I finally was able to transplant them. And yes Ken, some branches that were touching the dirt have roots already. They were very short though like 2".

I also moved the dianthus. Then I planted red twig dogwoods on the spot were the junipers where previously. I'm so tired today. :D

Anyways, here is the latest pic as of 7pm.

{{gwi:682859}}

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think I should have waited for next year. The inner central leaves are turning yellow. Is that normal?

14 years ago

interior browning.. i wish i had a buck for every time i typed this.. IS NORMAL ...

it is increased by drought the prior year ...

a severe winter...

AND BY TRANSPLANT ...

as long as the last few inches of new growth is fine..

GO FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO WORRY ABOUT ...

got it??.. lol ...

my first few post discussed the proper time to do this.. if you would have done it a few weeks earlier.. you MIGHT have given the roots an extra month to pump water to avoid some of this ... but whatever

keep them PROPERLY watered.. and PROPERLY mulched.. and you should be all set ...

ken

• gardener365
    14 years ago

Fertilize them with Mir-Acid (1/2 strength would be better or go get a ready to go sprayer that attaches right to your hose). Once a week until October. Liquid only. That will help the plant get growing, keep it's immune system up so insects and disease are much less-likely to move in. And you should be more than fine. If they don't carry Mir-Acid in those spray to go, get regular Miracle Grow. No big deal.

Dax

• v1rt
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to both of you! :)