Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ralph31558

Meyer lemon question

ralph31558
11 years ago

I have a meyer lemon growing in a container, with lots of flowers , and the fruit are pea size and are growing in clusters of 11 or 12 min a group, should i thin them out or leave them alone?

Comments (7)

• johnmerr
    11 years ago

If you post a picture, we can give you a better idea.

In general, I would thin each group to maybe 5 or 6; later to 3 to 4 depending on the strength of the branch and the location of the fruit; if it is at the tip, no more than 3.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

I would leave them be for the time being. Most young citrus will drop excessive fruit set. I would hate for you to thin your tree, only to have the rest of the fruit drop. You're perfectly fine to wait to see how much fruit makes it past golf ball size. You will normally see two fruit drops - one at about be-be/pea size, and then a second fruit drop at about golf ball size.

Patty S.

• johnmerr
    11 years ago

Ralph,

If you post a photo I could give you a best guess; but in general Meyers cannot be "trusted" to self thin in their early years; the tree will keep too many fruits and "forget" to grow. You have to just trust me on this; I have a fair amount of experience with Meyers. FYI, almost all my experience is with inground Meyers; but I also produce trees in containers (black plastic bags, actually) and you would be amazed, even in that condition, how many lemons those little trees will keep if you leave them to "decide for themselves".

11 years ago

John is correct about too heavy a fruit load will retard canopy growth. Meyers, like other lemons, fruit prolifically. Almost too much of a good thing. But, young trees tend to self thin very well. It is the more mature trees that will carry huge, huge amounts of fruit. I have to put twice the amount of fertilizer on my Meyer than any of my other citrus trees.

Patty S.

• johnmerr
    11 years ago

Ralph,

We still need a photo; but I defer to Patty's greater knowledge about Meyer lemons. Anyway, it is your tree, do what you think is right for you.

11 years ago

Now, now, John. Don't let your natural curmudgeon come out. We know you are the undisputed king of the Meyer lemon. You have reminded us enough on the forum, we get it :-) All I'm saying is it doesn't hurt to see what fruit will drop on its own, so poor Ralph doesn't end up thinning the fruit, then having the rest drop and he's left with no fruit. Fruit can be removed a little later, if it looks like his little Meyer is going to hang on to everything.

Patty S.

• ralph31558
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your input,i think i will leave them for now and wait until they develop a little more.