Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squirrel_girl

What can I expect from new deer?

squirrel_girl
16 years ago

Deer stopped by my gardens for the first time the past two nights. I live adjacent to 32 acres of forest and wetlands and they have been passing through my yard nightly for two years. We have had relatively heavy snow, but nothing unusual.

Since we have been coexisting for two years, I had not planned for deer resistant flowers. I figured they must be getting enough to eat in the woods. I will not be putting up fencing and have planned to put in at least 50% native flowers/shrubs/trees.

Is there anything I can do now to discourage them from forming the habit of nibbling my garden?

Would putting carrots, a deer block, sacrificial shrubs, or something else along the trail steer them away from the plants?

How much decimation can I expect from a family of 4 deer? Will it be a nibble here and nibble there to irritate me, or can I expect my flower beds and shrubs to be mowed to the ground?

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

Squirrel_girl

Comments (30)

• natvtxn
    16 years ago

Even if you put deer corn or something out for them, they will still mow down you plants. And their tastes change from year to year.

I had a real love/hate relationship with them.

• lorna-organic
    16 years ago

Chocolate scented plants come in a wide variety of types. I have read that deer do not like the scent of chocolate. These plants are supposed to be helpful in repelling deer. I haven't tried them myself. There aren't any deer where I live. Some of the "chocolate plants" are bushes, which would be of a size to be very noticeable to deer.

My only personal experience with a chocolate plant was a chocolate mint. It had a strong scent of chocolate. Mint is invasive, so I had it in a pot.

If you have dogs, you might want to place their feces around the perimeter. Some folks buy bottles of cougar musk or urine, and such, but those are terribly pricey and the scent wears off pretty quickly. Maybe a scarecrow would be helpful, if it was big enough to look like a human. Especially, if it was wearing stuff which would flap around in a breeze.

The food source for the deer in the forest must have become scarce. They love salt. They like bread, though it probably isn't very good for them. Maybe you want to create a place where you can feed them, but do things in your garden area to discourage them. I imagine whirlygig things would frighten them. Maybe something as simple as a few pinwheels. They are inexpensive. I usually have a couple of pinwheels in my garden just because I think they are pretty.

If the deer get in the habit of grazing your garden, they will probably be there every day. When I had squirrel problems, I put out food for the squirrels, but I also did things to keep them out of my plants. I found chopped up rose bush trimmings, and blackberry bush trimmings, kept them out of my potted plants. They didn't like the thorns. Sometimes they did damage, but we co-existed pretty well.

• lorna-organic
    16 years ago

Dang! Guess I'll be buying rabbit pellets for my critter problem. Didn't know I had a critter problem until this morning. I went out to water, because I expect that storm to hit New Mexico today. The high winds will wreak havoc on plants and trees, so I watered.

I discovered that rabbits have been eating the greenery on my baby arborvitae (thuja) trees. One baby tree is virtually denuded. The oldest, biggest, hollyhock had a lot of nice green leaves on it a few days ago. There isn't a hint of green there now. Phooey!! Does Walmart sell rabbit pellets?! Sure hope I don't have to drive all the way to Albuquerque to find rabbit pellets!! I have cottontails and jack rabbits.
    Lorna

• DYH
    16 years ago

Deer LOVE arborvitae, so it may not have been bunnies.

I live with a very large herd. They wander through my garden nightly, but we have a good co-existance. I've even had a doe walk between me and my greyhound out in the meadow at night!

The worst time of year for deer damage (here in my area of North Carolina) is February when green food is scarce. Only then do they start trying to eat deer-resistant evergreens. I put a little 32" high wire edging fence around trees that I don't want them to damage (cleyera, anise, magnolia, gardenia). In the summer, they don't touch those because they have other food. I put the little fence far enough away from the tree that they have to stretch to nibble, but close enough so that they can't jump over it. If they can't see a place to land, they won't jump. You can also lay welded wire fence down on the ground and they will not walk across it (unless it's covered with snow or heavy leaves).

For small plants (like heuchera), you can take wooden skewers like you use on a BBQ and stick them in the ground through the plant leaves. Just don't skewer yourself! I tend to let them munch the heuchera in the winter and then they leave it alone again in the summer. It comes back out just fine.

I have done a lot of testing plants with our deer herd, but your herd may have different preferences. My blog has a lot of the information about my experiences with deer-restistant plants.

Hope this is helpful.
    Cameron

Here is a link that might be useful: blogging about deer and plants

• teacher_mom2
    16 years ago

Oh, I love deer! How I wish we lived in the country where we got to see them all the time. My parents live down the street here in town and they have deer in their yard all the time. We live in a medium-sized town, but we have a lot of deer hiding in the woods here! :)

• libbyshome
    16 years ago

Good list, Cameron.

I had to put up a 'deer netting' fence. For years, I never had a problem. One spring, I thought I bad slug problem when all the tulip tops were chumped. Then I noticed the hoof prints. > > > and ^ ^ ^ and Libby

• rosefolly
    16 years ago

If you feed the deer, all that will happen is that you will have more deer. We humans have pretty much eliminated their predators, so deer will breed to the point of starvation in any environment they inhabit. I'm sorry, but this is so.

You can do either of two things. You can put up a barrier to keep them out, or you can decide to restrict your garden to things they don't eat. Repellents only work temporarily. When deer get really hungry, they will ignore repellents.

Rosefolly

• lorna-organic
    16 years ago

I just remembered that deer don't like daffodills. The bulbs are poisonous to most, or perhaps all, mammals. I read somewhere that a border of daffodills acts as a deterrent.

There is a deer repellant forum on the Garden Web. I checked it out yesterday. I didn't find much information.

Lorna

• squirrel_girl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, that was not the news I was hoping for. I guess I need to encourage the coyote to come around more often. ;)

We can't have fences here, so I will have to look into deer resistant plants. I like wonbyherwits' idea of putting wire fence directly on the ground. Maybe I can get away with something temporary to stop this from becoming a habit.

I'm going to try some twine or something that guides them back to their original path 50 feet from my gardens. Hopefully, they won't jump it. We managed to deter the neighbor's cat from visiting by doing this.

Lorna, Thanks for the information about the deer resistance forum. That forum is pretty slow and I didn't see anything either about what to do when the deer first arrive.

• rosefolly
    16 years ago

The good thing is you are on it right away. Deer are creatures of habit. It is much easier to discourage them now than it will be once they are used to coming into your garden.

Rosefolly

• mermanmike
    16 years ago

I have heard a dog can really help too. Of course if you end up with a dog like mine, he will befriend the deer and you will shake your head in consternation. ;)

• ginny12
    16 years ago

Deer have destroyed my garden of 30 years. I really hate them. Sorry for the strong language. When they are hungry, they will eat absolutely anything. Don't waste your time on "deer-resistant" plants.

There are sprays that help but you must be very regular in re-applying them. And when the herd gets big enough--and it will--there is no hope.

If you live where you can hunt, then do so. I live in a suburb so that is not allowed--or safe even if it were allowed. They carry disease and multiply like rabbits. From all my reading, only completely fencing your property to a height of at least eight feet will work. That includes the driveway. Of course, that's impossible for most of us.

I have read there are more deer now in the eastern US than when European settlement first started. No predators to control the population. I wonder where it will all end. Again, sorry for the rant but you should see my poor garden we've worked so hard on for so many years!

• libbyshome
    16 years ago

I'm so sorry, ginny. I don't blame you for hating them.
    If I hadn't been able to fence my garden, I'd have given up.

Libby

• ginny12
    16 years ago

I appreciate the sympathy, Libby. Watching your garden of many years being destroyed is indescribably painful. We were here 20 years before we saw a single deer and now there are literally herds of them.

• squirrel_girl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ginny,
    I can't imagine how hearbreaking it would be to watch your mature garden get munched bit by bit. At least my gardens are still young.

I strung twine from one tree to the next at what might be deer chest hight. It does not block off everything, but it aims them back to their old trail. The snow has melted so I can't see if my "fence" worked.

We are in a small subdivision out in the rural townships. There are at least two hunters of this herd on adjacent property, and since I hear gunshots all times of the year, I think there is enough poaching to keep this herd small. I'm hoping the deer and I can co-exist. I like all the wildlife out here and will give up the plants if I must.

I just re-read Lorna-Organics post about using chopped up thorny plants to keep squirrels out. How offensive would a 300 foot long raspberry border look? ;-) It would have the added benefit of keeping my annoying neighbor away as well. Hmmm. That alone would be worth it.

I wonder if feeding them on the other side of the trail in the woods or an open lot would keep them at bay... How much could a family of deer eat in a week?

Thanks everyone for the advice and comisseration. I hope your deer are happy and well fed from someone elses garden before they pass through yours.

Squirrel_girl

• DYH
    16 years ago

There's another gardener on one of the forums who says to use Milorganite fertilizer. You go read about what it's made from! :-)

Cameron

• agardenstateof_mind
    16 years ago

Please do not feed the deer. You'll only make it worse for yourself and your neighbors.

Here in NJ we're overrun with them; years ago people thought they would be kind and could co-exist by feeding them, hence put out bales of food week after week every winter ... and spring, and summer and fall ... and the herds just got bigger and more bales were required and more gardens chomped. The more they eat, the more they reproduce.

I, too, have heard that there are more deer in the eastern states than when they were first settled by Europeans. Basically, although deer may spend a lot of time in the forest/woods, they feed at the edges of those woods, in meadows ... and with our islands of parks, greenways, etc. in the midst of suburban development, we've created soooo much more forest edge, with lush, tender "meadows" of grasses, shrubs, and flowering plants. Also, as already stated, most predators are gone (we have a few coyotes here in NJ).

I work at a county park that is a horticultural center dedicated to the home gardener. Edged with and surrounded by woods in the rolling hills of Monmouth County, when the deer became a problem the only solution was to fence the entire park. That was before my time there, but I know they tried everything before going to the expense of installing so much fencing.

The only reliable deterrent is exclusion. (That's also why there's an ugly net over my koi pond; despite other "deterrent" strategies, a great blue heron - a beautiful bird that nevertheless somewhat resembles a pterodactyl when standing in one's back yard - made off with two of my 3-year-old koi.) If you want to try it, I understand that clear fishing line strung at various heights may deter deer. Apparently they cannot see it, but can feel it against their legs and chests, and it confuses them. Of course, this could be a safety hazard for people in many areas, so be thoughtful and cautious.

Please remember that even deer-resistant plants are not deer-proof; when very hungry, deer will eat just about anything green.

Diane

• ginny12
    16 years ago

I tried everything, including the clear fishing line, soap, human hair, milorganite, a radio playing loud obnoxious music or talk radio, spotlight shining directly into their eyes, me running after them and yelling (ok, that's quite a sight) and on and on. Everything works briefly but they learn fast. Only the sprays seem somewhat effective for any length of time.

• vancleaveterry
    16 years ago

I haven't tried this, but I bet it would work:

Some kind of motion detector controlled water spraying device. I think I saw these for sale somewhere. A motion detector controlled sprinker that came on for one "sweep" of the yard, might do the trick.

If the problem gets real bad, a crossbow is very silent and venison is good eating.

• agardenstateof_mind
    16 years ago

You're right on the mark, Ginny. A fellow Master Gardener gave a talk a few months ago on Wildlife in the Garden. He actually had a video of deer in his garden standing their ground as he walked toward them, shooing them away.

His experience was that the various repellents are of minimal, if any use, and the deer get used to the motion-sensing sprinklers ... however the neighborhood kids really enjoy them a lot in summer. The only thing he found truly effective was the electrified wire surrounding his vegetable garden. It's a low voltage, so doesn't harm the deer, just gives them an unpleasant buzz they quickly learn to stay well away from.

Diane

• caavonldy
    16 years ago

We have a small herd of deer in our neighborhood. They love rosebuds, tulips and my daises. I keep them away with rotten eggs and garlic. I just put some eggs and garlic in my blender with some water and blend. Then I distribute the mix between several gallon milk jugs and fill them with water. I leave the jugs out in the sun to "ripen" for a few days. It really works well. I found it on the web labeled "Kopy Kat Liquid Fence" I usually alternate with blood meal every once in a while so they don't get accustomed to any one method. We just love to watch the deer as they stroll through the yard every morning and evening. There is an albino fawn that was born last spring, so pretty. Everyone in our neighborhood is very protective of "our deer", even the hunters! When we moved here and I planted a lot of roses, my neighbors teased me for planting "deer candy"

• natvtxn
    16 years ago

The neighbors' said mine was a "deer salad bar". Having dogs worked, but as soon as I moved they jumped the fences.

{{gwi:633085}}

{{gwi:633086}}

The zoysia has gone dormant, but there should be more green under the oaks. This is south central TX and we have yet to have a killing frost.

• squirrel_girl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Natvtxn, Am I to understand that with the exception of the grass, the deer are responsible for the changes from the first to the second pic? Oh, I hope that is not the case, because I can't have a fence and my cat does not want a dog. Your garden has very nice structure to it. I love all the curves and crazy trunked trees.

• natvtxn
    16 years ago

That is correct, the deer ate almost everything in there, even roses and grape vines. The whole yard is that way. These were the only two pix that showed a comparison.

• squirrel_girl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Natvtxn,
    I am so sorry about your garden. I can't imagine what heartbreak those deer brought. Now I wish I hadn't asked about what to expect from the deer. I think ignorance might have been bliss.

Also, please tell me that it was the deer that jumped in and not the dogs that jumped out in your post with the pic. If you lost your dogs and your garden, I would have to cry for you.

• agardenstateof_mind
    16 years ago

Natvtxn, I will confess that's about the worst I've ever seen, and, yes, heartbreaking. What lovely gardens you established!

Squirrel girl, it's probably best to know up front what you're up against. You may still decide to try a few non-resistant plants, but you'll do it with realistic expectations. When they get really hungry, deer will eat about anything, but there are so many lovely plants that are their last resort. Your local university cooperative extension may have a list of resistant plants, but below is a link to our Rutgers Cooperative Extension Service site on Lawn & Garden information - about 3/4 down the page, under "Resources", you'll see links for "Human-Wilflife Relations" and "Landscape Plants Rated by Deer Resistance". Hope this helps.

Diane

Here is a link that might be useful: Rutgers Cooperative Extension Service

• natvtxn
    16 years ago

Squirrel, yes, it was the deer that jumped the fence, not my spoiled babies. That's them at the gate in before and after thread. Almost all the plants behind them and in the pic below, are gone. The deer tasted the brugmansia, but didn't mow them down. The peegee hydrangea is still there but just twigs.
    My realtor was able to post pics of before along with current pics. We were out in the front several times a day and the 4 dogs with us. So seldom did one get in the front. Last year we changed that gate and arbor with this white one and the deer did jump that gate once in a while. Maybe when the gate was dull black they could not tell where to jump. We put barriers on the white gate, lattice hooked with bunjee cords. I know it messed with the UPS man.
    There are annuals that will come up, columbine, larkspur, poppies and nigelia.
    In 10 years, the deer had never gotten in the back yard.

{{gwi:633087}}

• corunum z6 CT
    16 years ago

Hello, squirrel_girl,

I live in zone 5b/6 and my house has been part of a deer trail for the past 25 years. They come directly through the front yard, pass along the side of my house  about 5 away - and continue through all of my backyard, exploring every nook and cranny. They ONLY thing they have not munched on is boxwood (Buxus sempervirens). The deer devoured 6 high hollyhocks in August while standing directly next to dwarf boxwood and never touched the shrub. I have 3 boxwoods in the yard, all about 5 years old, and none have been touched by deer. Hoof prints all around the boxwood, but not one nibble. It is poisonous to them and they seem to know it.

Here is a link that may help you for plant selection:
    http://www.stanleyparkecology.ca/programs/urbanWildlife/conflicts/deerResistantPlantList.htm

Good luck.

Jane

• faerygardener z7 CA
    16 years ago

Some folks on the wintersow forum have been giving testimonials for a 20% egg spray (different from other egg sprays including one someone put a recipe for in the thread). 20% egg to water is their key. I've not tried it yet myself, but it's certainly worth a peek.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wintersowing deer solution

• rosefolly
    16 years ago

A few years ago one of our neighbors put in $10,000 of landscaping with supposedly deer resistant plants. The deer ate the whole thing in 48 hours. Deer are not cute. They do a lot of damage.

Rosefolly

Sponsored