Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chopstocky

Guava tree emergency

Joe
18 years ago

I know that this is the citrus forum but I wasn't sure where else I could ask this question.

I have a 4' guava tree that is in it's original soil. I haven't had a chance to repot it into a citrus chc mix. It is inside my house by a south window(but probably does not get enoough light even there) I got busy with work and let it go for a few days. When I checked it again i noticed some serious wilt in the leaves and that some of them were drying up. It had gotten very cold outside and the heat kicked in high gear drying up the room (it got down to 50% humidity) I gave it a good soak and misted the leaves. After a day or two I noticed improvement. The leaves stopped wilting and the ones that didn't dry up got soft and pliable again. However quite a few of the leaves (70-80%) dried up completely and now fall off with the slightest touch.

I put it outside tonight because it is raining and I figured it could use the extra moisture(it is about 60F now with a predicted low of 53F). It is a little windy though so that will probably blow off the rest of the dried leaves, but they don't look salvagable at this point. I plan on bringing it in tomorrow morning in case the temps drop again.

Is there anyway I can save this tree with so many missing leaves? What can I do?

Comments (21)

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Chops, first, make sure the temps don't drop tonight while your guava is outside..keep up on the forecast.
    Does the pot have drainge holes? This is important especially since it's raining.
    Allow the wind to blow off damaged leaves; they won't return to their normal state.
    But with care, new leaf growth will resume..It may take time especially with winter so near, dark days and all. as the days lengthen, fertilize with fertilizer high in nitrogen. Nit and the sun should help speed up new leaf growth..I'm sorry hearing this happened.

To check, in a few days, bend w/o breaking branches..make sure they're flexilbe. If they are, then your plant is alive..Toni

• Joe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks. I may just take it in tonight anyway. I hear the wind howling out there and it's making me nervous. They predict temps to only drop to 53F but with winds gusting to 30mph and it tends to be a little windy anyway in fall and winter. Yes the pot has drainage. I will run a humidifier in that room from now on. Is 70% humidity enough or should I go for more?

Would a MH or HPS grow light help the tree or hurt it at this point (i.e. dry the leaves more). i was thinking of getting a setup anyway, but definitely will if y'all think it would help grow new leaves.

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Chops, that's what happened here the night before last. Temps were nearing 60..later that evening, the winds started blowing, then t-storms..suddenly the temps dropped, high 20's..
    70% is fantastic humidity. How did you get it so high? I guess with the outside humidity being so high (because of the rain) this makes a difference indoors, too..especially if you've a window cracked open. Toni

• Patty_in_Wisc
    18 years ago

Hi Chops,
    I bought a guava same time as you. I repotted into chc. It's in my sunroom where temps are 40's (45* this am) at night & 50 - 60* during day. I had a few leaves dry up and fall off too but it just needed a littlle water & more light. Hopefully yours isn't TOO wet now with winter here, but you'll repot soon anyway (?). When you fertilize (March or so) use something like a 8-3-9 & NOT high in nitrogen as someone said.
    Because my sunroom stays cool, it keeps humidity at around 70% & when it warms up in there - 55-65%. There are better ways to tell if the tree is dead other than bending the branches. For one, when ALL the leaves fall & a scratch test shows no green on a brown leafless tree.
    If your tree perked up even a bit, I'm sure it's ok now. Mine got droopy at top when some leaves got brittle. Like I said, I just watered a LITTLE (enough to see some drainage) & set it closer to south facing window & it's fine. BTW, I never heard of a tree or flower pot without drainage holes LOL
    Aren't you the one who has a big enclosed porch? I will email you.
    Patty

• Millet
    18 years ago

Guavas, like to sprayed down three or four time day. Never let them go dry. - Millet

• Joe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Millet- YIKES! 3 or 4 times a day?! THat could be my problem. I can't spray them that much since I'm out all day, but i can do 2 times(once in am, once or twice in pm)I'll try that.

Patty- yes we bought at the same time I believe. I've learned to shut off the heat in that room and the humidity will hover around 70%, temps 60-65F without me doing anything. If i turn the humidifier on low, it jumps to 80% or more. Then the windows start to sweat. I will repot this weekend or tomorrow. Just got in a new shipment of CHC. The soil it's in now is moist but not soggy.

My concern is that the handful of leaves that survived and perked up, are now starting to dry at the edges. I cannot lose these leaves! I will spray the heck out of it.

• Joe
    Original Author
    18 years ago

BTW Patty , I don't have an enclosed porch. Just a small,open, south-facing balcony that i plan to put my citrus out on in the summer. The south window they are staring out of now opens onto that balcony. The balcony has that rooftop black tar paper as a floor and I figured that would be good for attracting heat. Maybe it would be too hot for the roots of my citrus/guava? On a sunny July day that baby can cook up to about 100F!

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Chops, you can use upturned pots or small stands so roots don't boil. Tar gets hot, espececially on sunny days.
    Is your balcony heated in winter?
    Misting your guava/citrus once a day is sufficient. You can do so before leaving for work, or when you get home.
    Chops, do you have a humidifer? If not, I suggest buying one..I not only use humidifers, but two indoor fountains..
    My Pineapple Guava is misted once a day and taken to sink once a wk...I hose the leaves..So far no leaf drop at all. Good luck, Toni

• Millet
    18 years ago

Actually, I have six different guava varieties that I am currently growing. Guava's are heavy feeders, and need to be fertilized with a complete fertilizer that also contains trace minerals. I would not bother to just mist the leaves, as a mist evaporates in less than a minute and does not do the guava much good. I actually hose my plants down whenever I visit the greenhouse, they love it. My plants are now heavy in fruit. Guava's are a great plant, and will repay you with LOT AND LOTS of fruit if you give them the proper culture. Remember, guavas are TROPICAL plants, so you need to treat them as such. - Millet

• gonebananas_gw
    18 years ago

Except for freezing (and nematodes I think) guava trees are tough as nails. Mine is just in a 10 gallon pot and is thick-trunked and a good six feet tall above the pot (i.e., needs a bigger pot) and stays on a glassed porch at about 40 degrees all winter. A poor situation but it's all I have and it does fine. I don't water it heavily then but it gets watered incidentally to spraying all the other plants. It loses all its leaves for a month or two in late winter but leafs out every year and I eat fat apple-sized dessert-type quavas every summer. This is the regular guava, not the slightly more cold tolerant strawberry guava with which I have no experience.

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Gonebananas, whateever works for you is what counts..U know, I've never, ever tasted a guava..they're not sold around here..but all this talk on taste if making me hungry for sweet fruit..LOL..Toni

• laidbackdood
    17 years ago

Hi,i have a yellow guava growing in a pot.I have removed most
    of its branches and left one single stem to grow tall and
    removed all laterals.Its a young tree but its growing taller
    all the time.I found out recently that my "Feijoa' trees are
    actully a type of guava.I have two different types in my garden. The one year,one of the fruits was huge like a big
    pear.Generally,they look like an egg shape,just a bit bigger.
    Do you guys get them out there?They reach fruit maturity in
    early autumn. My next door neighbour has a red cherry guava,
    sour as hell.Can you feed the guavas with your citrus npk
    ratio? cheers

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Laidback..I've a question..I'd like to grow my guava as in treeform, too..how big was your guava when you started removing the lower branches? I know the younger the better, but mine is already about 1' tall..is it too big? Toni

• laidbackdood
    17 years ago

Hi Toni,when i bought my yellow cherry guava it had several
    branches and sprawling.The lady at the plant place suggested
    i leave it a while.It was about 2 foot tall all around and
    untidy.I removed all but the strongest branch,the one i thought would do the best job.After that it just went for the
    skies and its now about 4 foot tall and staked.I removed the
    laterals in the same way you would a tomatoe.So,its tall
    and thin at the moment.When its about 5 or 6 foot tall i will
    clip the growing tip and see what happens.I hope it will bush
    out a bit then.Been feeding it the citrus fert!Hope this helps,in a reasonably small pot too.Good drainage though.
    Have you heard of feijoas? cheers

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Thank you so much Laidback..I'll have to try it w/my guava..Yep, I've heard of feijoas..Why do you ask? Aren't they related to guavas?
    I've never heard of cherry guavas, only pineapple and strawberry, and Chilean.
    I'm scared clipping the leaves, but I'm going to do it. I'll follow your instructions..Did you root the cuttings? Thanks again, Toni

• laidbackdood
    17 years ago

Hi,toni I read somewhere that feijoas are a form of guava.I
    have a type called "apollo",they grow big fruits and are yummy.Feed like a citrus in the ground.I always hack them
    back in winter,they can get large.The guava im growing has
    yellow fruits.No i didnt root the laterals,good idea though.
    Cheers.

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Laidback, would you believe I still haven't cut my guava..LOL..I just looked at it, and there's one thick trunk and a side shoot..should I just remove the sideshoot? I might try rooting it after I get the nerve to cut..I want mine growing as a tree, too. not bushy..IN fact, I prefer most plants growing tree-like..how about you? Are all your citrus growing this way or bushy? I've a few bushy citrus, but they take space..I want mine growing tall and vertical, not horizontal. Today I got the last of my citurs outside for a summer vacation..NOw I can fertilize and Superthrive then I'm all set..Toni

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

Laidback, I made a big booboo..I thought this plant was a guave when in fact it's a Kei-apple..lol..I am so sorry..Now I don't know if I should cut it back or not..have u ever heard of this plant? I am SO sorry..Toni

Here is a link that might be useful: RE: error

• laidbackdood
    17 years ago

Hi toni,i use the same principal with any tree,treat them like
    a tomatoe!!When i grow chillis,always use a method which
    encourages upward growth.When they are about a foot tall,i
    remove one bottom leaf off every now and then.That makes them
    grow,after a while the tree forms a Y shape.I rewmove all the
    leaves below the V and they generally spread right out.
    With tomatoes,I let them grow 2 foot tall,then remove all the
    branches to leave 2 or 3 branches,often quite small at the
    top.Then i dig a big whole in a U shape,they will grow roots
    all the way down the stem and have more roots as a result.
    As Laterals appear at the junction of stem and branch,i remove when easy to do so.That makes the growing tip carry on its business and no bushy.I have done this with my guava,
    avocado.If you dont want bushy,remove the laterals,but try
    to grow one main stem,the thickest.If you remove other
    branches,that one will take off for you but make sure it
    has a growing tip,to carry on for you.Mine had three very
    whimppy other branches,so i cut them all of and left that
    main branch.It makes sense,because the plant can put all its
    efforts into one branch.Then remove your laterals as they
    come out for the stem and branches,feed and all should be good for height.I think,once you are happy with the height,
    snip the growing tip and it will bush out.You will need that
    to happen for your fruit to have something to hang on.
    When it gets bloody huge,transfer to the ground,i reckon.
    I still think this could apply to your kei apple,although i
    would encourage three branches in a Y shape.Thats what my
    feijoa are like.Is there any sign of this tree taking up a
    Y shape?
    My citrus collection is going well.I have a red ruby grapefruit,clementine mandarin,vainiglia orange,navelina
    and a tangelo in the chc/coir. The tangelo seems bloody
    dormant but all the rest are putting out new growth and i am
    keeping them on the dry side because its winter here and
    rains all the time.The clementine is sluggish for new growth
    but lost some of its middle leaves due to the wind.I eat
    californian navels here from the shop.I have to say they are
    the best!!!New zealand oranges look aneamic lol.They dont
    leave them on the tree long enough i reckon.
    I know that its the cold that helps citrus to change from
    acidic to sweet,so we should be able to get good results,
    only problem is all the rain we get!!!Its mild now 14c at
    night.I will show some photos some time.I removed all fruit
    this year to encourage growth.How do i post photos on here
    please? Good luck with your apple tree! better get a guava
    now then!!!!!!!cheers

• Asim Billoo
    3 years ago

Hey guys in southern California here and my Guava tree is about 8 feet tall finally started growing after years of nothing (prob not taken care of by previous residents) but past two years its fruiting huge but hard tart nasty guavas. thoughts?

• Joe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Asim,

I just noticed this pop up in an old email account that I rarely use. This is a very old thread and don't know if any of the users above are still active here.

I have not grown these trees in years as I didn't have the proper resources to succeed. I suggest you try starting another thread in the hopes of getting an answer.

Sorry i cant help. These plants are fun to grow if you have all the proper conditions. Good luck!