Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenmachine10

Favorite mail order nurseries with that sell 4' tall plants?

greenmachine10
13 years ago

Hey guys, so I'm new here and I'm wondering what are your favorite mail order nurseries that sell at least 4' tall conifers? I mean, I know about such places as girards but seeing as how I would have to pay $18 and shipping for a two year old hoopsi graft and then have to wait a couple of years for it to grow, I would rather pay a $100 for a five footer at my local nursery.

So I'm looking to see which mail order nurseries are your favorites that sell at least 4' tall plants. And, don't worry I'll research the nurseries myself before I buy anything. Also, it would be helpful if the nurseries charged a fair price instead of over the top prices.

Comments (13)

• greenmachine10
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Also, I'm not really looking for anything in particular. Just interesting cultivars, a few true species and stuff such as larches, etc.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Once you get above a liner or one gallon price goes way up but plant may only be a year or two older.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    13 years ago

My favorite for larger individual specimens is Forest Farm.

One of the reasons I like them is their variety of cultivars.

Another is their great packaging. They really pack your trees in there well. Then again their shipping is a little high.

If you can find it local and in good shape get it there. I DESPISE planting big tall trees with small burlap wrapped rootballs though.

Ug, my friends ask for my help all the time. Transplant shock, sore backs, have to dig a huge hole. Have to stake them because of the ridiculously small root ball / pivot point.

Ever drive by a nursery and wonder when all them rows of trees were removed from the ground? Spring I bet! They've been sitting under a bunch of rocks running this what do the rocks do to the root ball PH experiment since spring experiment.

Then there is the issue of 1st getting the root ball wet if its a different composition than your soil. THEN there is the issue of getting trees to grow roots out of this rootball you've been watering into my buddy's compacted no top soil having new subdivision yard.

Sorry for the rant lol. I'd rather plant conservation department 18" bare root fellas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Their Website

• firefightergardener
    13 years ago

Bloomriver has excellent conifers in the larger sizes, as well as super healthy plants, high quality stock and safe/fast shipping. They aren't cheap though but you should probably take a look.

-Will

Here is a link that might be useful: Bloom River Nursery

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

what i recommend is that you go to the high end nurseries in town.. and ask for the owner/manager .. and ask if they will contact you when the new fall shipping lists comes out from places like iseli .. for fall shipping ....

and then you put in order in with them ...

the stock that is there now.. was ordered in fall .. there will be sale lists that come out for fall shipping ...

developing a relationship with your local 'dealer' might work out better than mail order ...

if we knew where you were.. we might make suggestions ...

or.. go to iseli's website.. and see if they have a dealer finder by zip code ...

from this little seller.. you can get a boxed 50 foot tree if you want.. lol ....

if you are looking for size.. or the unique.. your local guy just might feel its not otherwise salable .... but that doesnt mean he cant get it .... dave ought to be able to discuss this more deeply ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• gardener365
    13 years ago

Gee Farms sells some larger stock. Their list is updated.

Dax

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    13 years ago

Fantastic Plants located in the outskirts of Memphis offer some taller interesting conifers. 'Course, the taller the plant the taller the shipping price. I've bought a few plants from them and they've all been very good quality and the prep for shipping was satisfactory.. Google the name for their website.

• bunkers
    13 years ago

I've ordered from Forestfarm and Greer Gardens. The FF trees were decent sized for mail order, but don't expect anything bigger than what you'd find for about $9.99 at home depot. I got some 5-6' trees and they are all heathly and thriving. The greer trees are also doing fine, but the size and shipping left a lot to be desired when compared to FF. The people at FF are fantastic in their customer service and communications, IMHO. And their shipping/packing is top notch.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

In USDA 6 you can get away with fall planting of fully hardy kinds, this is the preferred time to plant whenever possible anyway. In fall plants are often taller, an entire growing season having just ended.

But big tops in small pots are not preferable, if roots are circling and compacted these will have to be opened up to assure long-term success. Mauling roots in fall defeats part of the purpose of fall planting, as replacement roots from cut root ends will not appear until top growth starts in spring. If undisturbed root systems are installed (early enough) in fall, existing root tips then immediately push a considerable distance into the surrounding soil - immediately giving the new acquisition a good start.

Plants installed during any other season will not get as good a grip on the ground until the first fall after planting, fall is the only time when the roots get to have all the fun - the rest of the year the energy budget is prioritized for other parts of the plant or the plant is basically sleeping (winter).

Elongation of new roots formed in spring is minimal, the tops also being active at this time and taking their share of the available energy - which is at a low point because of winter having just taken place.

• greenmachine10
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for responding guys. Forest farm seems to fit the bill for what I'm looking for.

Fortunately, I have my own backhoe to dig holes and other landscaping work around my house. So no backaches and it really doesn't matter to me how big the tree is, as long as it's about 4'.

And bboy that's what I figured, that most of the root growing takes place in the fall. Fortunately, I don't know what it is but I seem to have a green thumb. Maybe it's because I receive tons of manure (aged), topsoil and compost from a friend that runs a farm. Or maybe it's just me, but for some strange reason, everything I grow from fruits and vegetables to conifers and other ornamental trees, shrubs, etc. grows like crazy whenever I plant them.

• greenmachine10
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Do you guys have any other suggestions? Seems like this thread has died out

• firefightergardener
    13 years ago

There really aren't a lot of nurseries that will ship plants larger then a gallon or two. I think most notable ones have been mentioned. From my own experience, it's usually better to buy in person for that large sized stock, or to start smaller.

Best of luck, either way.

• greenmachine10
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, well that's kind of what I'd like to do, buy them locally. And while I finally found an actual nursery that has rarer stuff, it is still pretty limited as to what it offers.

And most of the garden centers around here don't have anything interesting. I think that I finally found a "pendula bruns" at a garden center that I'll probably buy, but other than that it's pretty much it.