Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Plenty of blooms, but no leaves...Why?

meyermike_1micha
15 years ago

Hi...

All my cirtus trees are doing awsome. But this one tree that I received back last December has me mystified and stumped.

It is a "ponderosa lemon". It is about 4 feet tall. It is in a clay pot in well draining soil.

I fugured I would let a whole year go by and give it a chance before I ask for help on this. I let it grow outside all summer, feed it on a regular basis, keep it in full sun, then under lights and in a south facing window in the winter. It has had full sun since last winter. Out in full sun all summer. Yet that tree does not want to produce one leaf, not even new growth, but the roots look very healthy and it gets treated just like all my other trees that are doing quite well..:

In fact, it is drinking water, beacuse the soil dries out just as quickly as those that have leaves!!

I was wondering if anyone might have an idea why it does not want to push anything but blooms?

It has bloomed 5 times since last winter, and when it isn't blooming, it is just bare.

When I first recieved it in the mail last winter, it was full of leaves and then dropped them all. Nothing since.:-(

Thank so much!

Comments (6)

• starloc
    15 years ago

When it lost its leaves, were the roots healthy then?,
    If not, it may still be flowering to try and save itself by trying to produce seed, as it doesnt think it is yet healthy enough to produce both leaves and fruit it will go for fruit.
    I would remove any flowers it produces till it gets some leaves, to save up root growing energy
    Is it getting enough nitrogen?, i have seen some trees fed with tomato feed doing this as they have lower nitrogen and it makes them flower instead.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes. The tree was shipped barerooted and the roots looked fine. Within a month of planting it, all the leaves started dropping. I checked the roots again, and still fine.
    Nitrogyn? I have been feeding it the same fertilizer all my other trees are getting. They are all healthy and green in constant leaf growth, ecept for this one though:-(.
    I will try pinching off flowers as suggested. Maybe this will help. Thanks alot for that!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Does anyone else have any ideas or think this is weird? Thanks

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Merry Christmas/Hannakuh/Happy New Year's..

Mike..how ya doing? I've been busy baking and all that good stuff that goes along with the holidays..

Are any other citrus potted in clay?

What month did you get your Ponderosa? If late in the year, it's possible the shock of shipping bare-root, then short-days/winter, set your tree back..That's a possibility. Did you say this tree had leaves before?

Are you certain it's a Ponderosa? lol..Toni

• theda-blue
    15 years ago

Nothing really to add; except that my new kumquat is doing the same thing right now. Covered in blooms and teeny little kumquats that I don't have the heart to pick off! No new leaves since I got it late this summer.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Toni, it is so good to see your alright!! I am happy all is going well and that you have had plenty of reasons to to keep busy other than spend all your time on this site like me...LOL
    How are you?
    Hi theda-blue,
    Yours should be fine. My sisters sheds it leaves too this time of year, and gets loaded with blooms. She even says once the blooms are gone the poor thing looks pitiful..lol
    At least your tree hasn't been bare for over a year. If it stays that way, this post might help you.lol

Hi everyone,
    I have had the tree since "LAST" year in December. I recieved it from a reputable citrus grower in full leaves then. It was beautiful and full. Once I potted it, about a month from then, it dropped most of its leaves,then the rest of what was left in the summer, and since then, over a year now, it has not grown one leaf, nor any growth...
    On the brite side, it has not lost one "branch" neither, suggesting to me root rot. So roots are fine. I have inspected them in the summer with this same problem then.
    The only thing that tree does is, stay bare for a bit, then grow blossoms and even fruit. Stay bare for a bit again then grow blossoms and fruit. It keeps repeating this process. why, once the blossoms have past, I take the fruit off to give the plant energy thinking to myself this will help it grow leaves, or strengthen roots if need be. BUt it keeps going bare and only grows blossoms and fruit, ever since last year. That is what is so intriguing about all this.
    I have some citrus in clay and some in plastic pots. All are fed regularly, treated the same way, put in full sun all summer, and in sunny windows with lots of grow lights all winter.
    All my citrus are doing awsome except for this bugger. Right now it is bare. I picked all the blossoms and fruit off again. I never heard of such a thing. It has been over a year like this. It has no bugs either. I would know that..lol
    I would love for someone to help me help it grow leaves and new branches...The poor thing..:-(
    I am positive it is a "ponderosa". It still has the tag on it, and it grows the same flowers as my others along with the same fruit. It is grafted to create a tree though
    Please help me with this one...Thanks alot everyone!
    Mike