Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coniferfreak

What would you plant here? (pic)

Luv My Conifers
15 years ago

Along our 225'w x 6'h privacy fence we have some arbs (that have been there about 7 years now and are growing way too slowly), and in some places there are hemlocks and doug firs. In this pic you can see some Arborvitae, a Picea Omorika (serbian spruce), and some Peeping Rednecks (the Father&Son cultivar I believe). ;)

The Serbian has not been filling out or growing much at all since we put it in a few years ago, and because our township (and neighbors) won't allow fences over 6' high, we have no privacy here.

The disturbing event you see illustrated in the photo occurs much too often, and trust me these are NOT friendly neighbors unfortunately. :( So what would you plant there? We have clay/shale soil, which stays pretty damp back near the fence, except for very dry summers. The fence is to the north side of a line of huge, old sickly/slowly dying white pines, so there is not a lot of sun back there. Thanks for any ideas you can come up with!

Comments (11)

• claymont
    15 years ago

Hi Weeping nootkas jeff

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

how much lineal space between the patio/house and the fence...

think flowering crabs somewhere in between ... or redbuds.. etc

you are fixated on the fence line.. when presumably.. you have a lot of lawn in between ....

something to block the view... need be much shorter.. the closer to the house it is ....

ken

• Luv My Conifers
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions Jeff and Ken. The fence is approx. 125 ft. from the house/patio, at the bottom of a gradual downward slope (which is why the 2-headed creature back there appears to be over 7 ft. tall...haha).

You might be right though, Ken. Maybe a fast-growing decidiuous tree somewhere in between the house and fence is the answer to this one. I sometimes tend to think in linear terms.. so thanks for the insight.

• coralbelle
    15 years ago

Jeff suggested weeping nootkas. I might suggest Chamaecyparis nootkatensis 'Glauca.' Its foliage is much denser than 'Pendula' so it will give you lots of privacy. It is fast growing too. Will tolerate drought once established. And it is a very attractive tree! Then you can plant some "pretties" in front of your living fence. Good luck with the 7 foot tall rednecks.
    Coralbelle

• picea
    15 years ago

If you don't have to have all evergreen I have had Dawn redwoods and Schubert choke cherry grow well in that type of setting. If you are in an area that doesn't get to much wind you could also plant some of the Hardier southern magnolia selections like Brackens Brown beauty. David

• bunkers
    15 years ago

I was just over at my parents house and they had a huge row of lilacs ... and they were just dinky things not many years back ... not they were all about 7-8' high and created a very nice privacy hedge. And all in full bloom ... gorgeous and wonderful to smell.

15 years ago

the big tree.. above the back of the chair ... is an oak .... look for the first V ..... and you will see .... make a nose print on your screen .. lol.. a slight suggestion of the white house everything is hiding ...

closer than the oak .. on the far end of the bending bed.. is a variegated oak ...come around the bend ....toward the chair .... and there is a variegated liquidamber ... no one said you have to plant plain old green trees ... lol ..

the height created closer to the viewer.. easily can hide something 200 feet away in my case ...

with 125 feet.. man can you put in some gardens.. forget about the fence ....

go to the hardware store... and get some marking flags like miss dig uses .... sit on each corner of the patio .... good to have a hyperactive kid available ....

send them out to put flags where views need to be blocked ...

then go to each window in the house... and add more flags.. or have hyperman move them slightly ... continue ad nauseum .. until you have a real idea of what you need where ...

once this is done... think about how you can make 3 beds which include all the flags ... roundup grass... add mulch ... start planting conifers and trees ... i can post a tutorial on such.. if you ever get that far ....

get the drift????

good luck

ken

{{gwi:726059}}

• botann
    15 years ago

To simplify Ken's post, sit on the back deck or patio and look out from there. The better the view, the closer you can come to the fence with the lawn. The worse the view or where you want privacy, the further the lawn needs to be from the fence. You have plenty of room to make a very good garden with a lot of privacy. More than most. Make your landscape decisions from one point called a territorial view. That simplifies a lot of 'what do I plant where' decisions.

15 years ago

to simplify it even more than botann ....

when the box is frustrating you .. think outside the box ...

ken

PS: the box being delineated by bed at the fence line

• Luv My Conifers
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas!

Amazing property, Ken! I can't even detect that house you are talking about. Thanks for the tips! I think if I sent my daughter out there with the flags though, I would still end up with a straight line across the whole yard. LOL! But I will definitely have to give that a try.

15 years ago

here are better pix of the neighbor.. i actaully like... lol .. probably because he isnt a hydra.. lol.. ken

{{gwi:726060}}

{{gwi:726062}}

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths