Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jarpe

some narrow forms of picea abies

jarpe
10 years ago

Nice golden picea abies with slightly weeping branches and narrow looks. Found by Jukka Lehtonen from forest survey institute of finland among the freely polluted offspring of weeping spruce. This cultivar is available in finland by the name kultasurukuusi.

Comments (12)

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Jarpe, those are real beauties!
    I guess the tree specimens at this photo are grafted one's and are not original seedlings?
    It's colour doesn't look golden to me, it looks more silvery to me.

Picea abies 'Argenteospica' is pretty simular to this 'Kultasurukuusi'...

• jarpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is an iteresting narrow picea abies find of my own with vertical branches located in oulainen finland. I must try to propagate it in autumn after needles harden. It too looks pretty odd and unique to me.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Picea abies 'Argenteospica' growing in my Pinetum.

• Simoni
    10 years ago

Jarpe,
    very interesting plants, success in their expansion...
    L+M S

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

Found by Jukka Lehtonen from forest survey institute of finland among the freely polluted offspring

==>> did you mean freely populated????

on the first pic.. can we have a scale ... approximately how wide at the base ...

thx for the pix

ken

• jarpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry! My english is bit rusty when it comes to special terminology. What i ment was freely pollinated offspring.
    Narrow spruce in wintertime-pic is about half a meter wide at the bace and about three and a half meter tall.
    Kultasurukuusi in first picture is little over one meter wide.

• dansgrdn
    10 years ago

I really like 'Kultasurukuusi', wish it was available here. I'm always looking for narrow cultivars and I really like the coloration of this one. Enjoyed the pics, thanks

Dan

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Dan, how about the Picea abies 'Argenteospica', is that one availlable in the U.S.?
    It's a very old cultivar with the same characteristics as the 'Kultasurukuusi'...

• jarpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another finnish cultivar often referred to be the most beautiful of all finnish aurea-type spruce also has very similar coloration as kultasurukuusi and this Argenteospica. It is called Kuhmoisten kulta wich means Kuhmoinen gold. This photo is again from my back yard.

• jarpe
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here is the original tree in Kuhmoinen,Finland. I dont know if that tree still exists.

• coniferjoy
    10 years ago

Jari, thanks for showing us this pic of another brautiful Finnish Picea abies cultivar.
    Because it's new growth colour isn't golden, but a silvery white, it's translated cultivar name 'Kuhmoinen Gold' is infelicitous.
    'Kuhmoined Silver' was a better choice.
    Translated in Finnish this is 'Kuhmoined Hopea'...

This post was edited by coniferjoy on Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 4:43