Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dogcatlady

mulberry photos & ideas

Ann
15 years ago

I can't shake the idea that I need a mulberry, but I'm having trouble finding photos of mature trees, other than m alba which is obviously NOT the variety to get. Anyone have home photos? Illinois everbearing, Persian, M. nigra?

Also, I understand the ground below will be covered in berry purple, but do the birds drop purple poop allover the whole yard? If the edge of the tree is 10 or more feet from the edge of my fictional (maybe one day) deck, will that be OK??

THANKS!

Ann

Comments (6)

• tasymo
    15 years ago

We have a very old, gnarly mulberry about ten feet from our back door. Yes, we get lots of purple fruit on the ground (the birds absolutely LOVE this tree, yet there are always lots of berries for us) and the bird poop does indeed turn a lovely shade of purple! Unfortunately, the birds seem to prefer plopping it on our cars. We don't have a problem with it anywhere else. I don't know what variety this tree is, just that it is very old. Half of it was removed before we moved in, over 16 yrs. ago. Alot of the bark is missing from it's trunk, but the poor old thing is hanging in there! I'll snap a pic of it when I get home form work today. Kathy

• tasymo
    15 years ago

Sorry it took so long- had to recharge my camera batteries!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:666874}}

• Ann
    Original Author
    15 years ago

it doesn't look bad! Actually looks like it could be a good climbing tree!

Anyone with known varieties have a photo?

thanks!

Ann

• phoebe100
    15 years ago

Here are two or three youngish ones. These are M. rubra a native Mulberry. Loads & loads of delicious Mulberries! The side of the building in the first picture is about 10' tall. I let my branches grow to the ground. Underneath it is dense shade, which is very much appreciated here in Florida!
    {{gwi:666884}}
    {{gwi:666887}}

• rqhansen
    15 years ago

I have an Illinois Everbearing planted, it has HUGE tropical leaves and delicious 1 inch fruit. It is still small and I have successfully propagated it by buring 18 inches of a 5 foot branch as suggested by NAFEX. I think they are great trees and I love the fruit. Another really nice feature of this cultivar is that the fruit really hangs on the tree, it does not fall so much like other mulberrys. I highly recommend it.

• Ann
    Original Author
    15 years ago

illinois everbearing seems to be the variety most often recommended. would you mind sending a photo?? how old is it?

thanks!

Ann

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!