Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natureboy8888

Plant suggestions for edible parking strip garden

natureboy8888
15 years ago

We are converting our front lawn into a garden and I want to tackle the parking strip too. ItÂs about 40 feet long by 4.5 feet wide. Cars actually park in front of our house at least half the time and we live on a side street that is not "busy," but not "quiet" either.

Three main questions:

1) What type of edible plants would you recommend?

2) What do you think of raised beds?

3) Anyone with experience know if I should I be concerned with: (a) dog pee, (b) car doors and foot traffic on the garden, and (c) Passers-by pillaging my garden (I have no problem with sampling, but IÂd like to enjoy the majority of my harvest).

Thanks!

Comments (5)

• genuineimitation
    15 years ago

1) something above exhaust level.. trees? vines? do you want shade or a screen? would fruit dropping bother you? what about pollinators in spring - bees and wasp activity near cars?
    2) make sense - easier to water, though, i've had plantings near parking areas and raised beds collect trash from insensitive parkers if it's a public parking area.
    3)a-ugh. yes. dogs pee. ugh. i can say that - i have 3 dogs that i clean up after. i just found my neighbor's dog's calling card at my front walk this afternoon. dogs that run free are a nuisance. and cats think the whole world is one big catbox. double ugh. b) car doors will ding the beds, but also might get drivers mad. on the other hand, raised beds will protect the plants. c) i had a public front garden - not fruit, but flowers. i had borage and lavender. i got lots of attention from walkers, no one tried to steal the plants from the bees, and i made a great environment for honeybees - a threatened species. if you can grow something to help pollinators, i'm all for it. fruit will be either eaten, or will drop on the ground and create a mess. pits, cores, or seeds will be tossed around. maybe blueberries would work - people are a little more leary of trying berries in case they are poisonous. or, get the raintree nursery catalog and get something unusual that people aren't so willing to test without permission - like a pawpaw or something that doesn't look "normal".

that's a pretty big strip = you could do plenty of planting!! have fun!

• murkwell
    15 years ago

I live on a corner lot in an East Vancouver suburb and I've been gradually converting my parking strip to edibles.

I've mostly put fruit trees or bushes and have surrounded them with a square raised box made from old 1x6 cedar fence boards.

While the tiny new trees are small I've planted other things in the boxes with them. The most successful so far seems to be garlic. I think its planted densely enough (or perhaps because the bed is raised) I haven't seen much evidence from dogs and cats in them.

I also have lavendar, onions, brocolli, cilantro, saffron crocus, artichoke and rhubarb. I don't think any of those things are too tempting for passers by.

As far as the fruits go, I tried to pick things that wouldn't stain the road, and either wouldn't be super tempting or would be so abundant that hopefully I wouldn't mind too much.

I started with apples because there were already trees there. The previous owner had cut them to the ground so they were stumps flush with the lawn. After allowing them to grow for several years I grafted them over to dozens of good varieties. The first couple are just starting to fruit now. I'm doing enough weird things to the trees (like bagging the apples, and constantly grafting) that I think people have been leaving them alone.

I've added 3 feijoas (pineapple guava). They are attractive, evergreen, amenable to pruning, make beautiful flowers and delicious fruits that are tidy.

Also Asian pear (hopefully abundant) and quince (not good fresh).

• murkwell
    15 years ago

I forgot to mention that it is important to leave a space to put your garbage and recycling if you have curbside.

• john_bonzo
    15 years ago

Raised beds would be a good way to discourage foot traffic from areas that you don't want.

I am certainly no expert on the NW, but Pineapple Guava, as previously mentioned, was going to be my first suggestion...tough, hardy, not too picky, and will eventually get large enough to screen out the street.

• chaman
    15 years ago

Mullberry shrubs or trees.They are available for cold hardy weather conditions too.

Sponsored