Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ziyakr

Columbine seeds

ziyakr
12 years ago

Hi, most of the posts on columbines seem to be in this forum so I have a dumb question. I bought a packet of native columbine seeds ((Aquilegia canadensis) to put in a new shady bed which is finally almost ready to plant. My neighbors plants are already up, is it too late to sow the seed now? Seems like it will be more difficult after I mulch the bed, but the seeds might do better with a fall sowing.

Any thoughts?

Ziya

Comments (4)

• docmom_gw
    12 years ago

That's a hard call. They definitely like a cold period, but they are also much more likely to sprout when they are fresh. I'd say plant them now, and if you don't have good results, buy or trade for some more and try again in the fall. I wintersowed some and I've only got 3-4 sprouts in two large containers so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a few more.

I've also heard that some people recommend collecting seed as soon as it's ripe in mid-summer and direct sowing it immediately. I guess you'd get small sprouts by fall that would survive winter and maybe even blossom the nest spring? I've never done it that way. Hopefully someone more experienced will chime in.

Martha

• faerygardener z7 CA
    12 years ago

I'm with docmom - plant them now. In shade, they'll grow all summer (in hot sun they may go dormant - or die). Just make sure to keep the soil moist until they sprout and don't let them dry out in the summer. Birds are coming back and foraging - you might also simply sprout them in something until you get a few leaves and transplant them if you want a better chance of success. Direct seeding in my area synonymous with feeding hte birds :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

• luckygal
    12 years ago

I either let Columbines self-sow or I direct sow as soon as the seeds are ripe and I've had lots grow from seed. I don't cover them, just sprinkle the seeds around. Last year I bought a package of specialty seeds and carefully planted, babied them along, and not one sprouted. Have since found out they need light to germinate and I had covered them lightly. Which is why they grow when I only spread the seed around. Live and learn. LOL

Gardening is often an experiment so I'd sow them now and hope for the best. I've read they require cold stratification but there are some people who have had success without.

Here is a link that might be useful: stratification or not?

• mandolls
    12 years ago

I winter sowed them last year with good results. Obviously too late for that right now, but the seed packs do suggest 2-3 weeks in the fridge. You wont get blooms this year anyway, so I would chill them for a couple of weeks and then plant them.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor