Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kato109

Italian Cypress Browning

kato109
17 years ago

Hi All,

we just planted ten italian cypress about a month ago and they are not doing very well. almost all of them have a lot of brown needles and they look sort of sparse. They have some webbing that looks like spider webs as well.

they are planted at our fenceline at the bottom of a hill, so we are afraid that maybe they are being overwatered because the water all goes downhill.

How often should one water newly planted Italian Cypresses and how much? Could they have spider mites and if so whats the best solution.

Once they are established, how often do you water them?

Could they just be doing poorly because of being newly planted?

Thank you so much!

Katarina

Comments (9)

• jean001
    17 years ago

Insufficient water in the area of the *original* rootballs.

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

Yes, they could have spider mites, they are highly susceptible to them. When I lived in Phoenix, nearly every Italian Cypress I saw had them.

To make sure of spider mite infestation examine the needles closely, they suck out the chlorophyll and make them look dusty or pale, eventually the entire tree looks that way and you can tell from a distance. You can also shake a branch over a piece of white paper and see if they fall off. They are tiny but you can see them crawling on the paper. A magnifying lens really helps.

Spraying them with water can help but if you do have them and the infestation is bad, you are most likely going to have to resort to chemical control. I'm afraid I am not up on chemical controls, I do not have problems with mites here. I think the one I used when I lived there, Kelthane, was banned.

Overwatering could also be a problem, they are not plants that want to be constantly moist.

• conifers
    17 years ago

You don't even need a magnifying lens if you see well:)

Dax

• kato109
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the info. I have a feeling they were being overwatered, cause they are at the bottom of a hill slope and all the water goes down toward them. We changed the watering and they do not seem to get any browner, although they still aren't really flourishing. I've been hosing them off in the evenings occasionally, because another site said that was one way to get rid of spider mites.
    We tried the white paper but didn't see any spider mites, so we are hoping that they will slowly recover if we keep the watering minimal.
    thanks again,
    Katarina
    Ps. I definitely need reading glasses, if not a magnifying glass to see anything tiny any more!

• jean001
    17 years ago

Yes, they get mites.

But the most common problem for browning shortly after they are planted is too little water within the original rootball. The roots haven't had time to extend into the surrounding soil.

It takes two years of scheduled irrigation to help a woody plant establish an extensive root system to support the plant's top growth.

So, in order to know if they are over- or under- watered, check the soil of the original rootball. Get down and feel it. Then you'll know for certain.

• dcsteg
    17 years ago

A rule of thumb. Stick your finger down into the soil of the original rootball. If it is dry 2 inches down it needs water. Forget about the spyder mites. They don't build webs. If the tips of your branches are brown and you see no new growth it is probably toast. I think Southern California has had unusually hot weather. My daughter lives in Redlands and that is the case there. I have to concur with jean001. Insufficient water in the area of original rootballs. An easy oversite on the part of the owner that has done in many new conifers. I am guilty of misfortune. In the heat wave now plaguing the midwest I water 1 & 2 year old plantings everyday.

Dave

• jjdgn
    17 years ago

Hello everyone.
    Yes, some types of Spider Mites make webs. You can tell if you have Mites bad because the branches will fall away from the rest of the plant. Most people blame this on "BIG WINDS" but the mites weaken the layer just under the bark on the outside and thatÂs why they "lean" out. If this is the case cut them down lower and spray the trees with high pressure water hose (not a pressure sprayer) use a small hole hose end and this will do fine. Spray the whole tree all around and top to bottom for 2 days. Let them dry and get a sprayer and some mite spray. Ortho used to make a product called "Isotox" but now I think they re-named it so ask at a garden center.

Italian Cypress are very bad about mites, this because they always seem to have the smallest water wells or some people have a drip system and don't give them enough water. They get heat stressed easy and this allows the mites to get ahead of the tree. I have seen people with drips use a 4gal/ per minute end and only give them 15 min. 1 gal. of water!! And this is on a tree that is 3'+ around!

When you planted them did you breakup the root ball a little? If not this could be a problem. People buy the tallest cypress and these are sometimes root bound. So this could be it. Also root balls that are tight will not allow the water to go through them because the outside dirt is broken up and water will just go around them. If this sounds like the problem take a shovel push it into the ground at the outside of the ball and in about 1" in 4-5 spots around the trees ball and about a foot deep if you used 5 gal. plants. and give it a back and forth movement to try to loosen it up then put garden mix in the holes and stamp down light. WATER every 5 days for 2-3 weeks in poor sandy soil or 10 days in better soil. Water them good in heat and back off in cool.
    Remember these trees want water not soaked all the time but people think just because itÂs topped at say 12' itÂs not a big tree. Even if you do not top yours make sure they have enough water. You will also keep the mite problems down. Spray them off in spring and 3-4 times in the summer and they will love you for it!

• sanjays14
    16 years ago

Hi, I am in san jose. I have 5 italian cypress trees that I planted 3 years ago all but one did well. One of them died, I replaced it with a new one. It has been more than a year and I see that it is again showing the signs that the old one had before dying. it is drying up from bottom up.
    Is there something I can do to help this one. Please help. I really don't want this one to die.
    I spraying some fungicide just in case just last week. I am willing to give anything a try.

thanks

• ssmb1705_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I just bought sixty six Italian cypress for privacy. I will be planting them along the wall. How far away from the wall should they be and how close to each other should they be? They are 12 ft. Thank you