Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missylin_gw

My Darling Clementine vs. Betty W. Woods , Humdinger

missylin
16 years ago

I am thinking about getting both. Is BWB much better? They seem similar. Should I get both, or just Betty Warren Woods? Thanks! Also, I have not read much mention online of Humdinger, but see it is an 8 inch yellow flower. Anyone familiar with it? Thanks so much!

Comments (11)

• i_c_dillies
    16 years ago

You just can't go wrong with Betty Warren Woods, beautiful plant and flower.
    I have HUMDINGER, and it is a HUMDINGER!!! I love it. This will be the second year for it in my garden, and am really looking forward to the blooms. I'm not a big fan of yellows, so they have to be pretty special for me to get them.
    Sorry but I don't know anything about My Darling Clementine.
    Lrae

• MaxBaerHems
    16 years ago

MDC does very well here in my gardens...very happy with her.

{{gwi:692146}}

• shive
    16 years ago

In my gardens, BETTY WARREN WOODS is superior to MY DARLING CLEMENTINE. The blooms look a lot alike, but BWW has better, huskier foliage and taller scapes. Here BWW multiplies and reblooms better than Clementine.

• missylin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm going to go with BWW and Humdinger. Although MDC is very pretty, I do like the idea of the nicer foliage. Thanks for the info and pictures. I appreciate it.

• Nancy Barginear
    16 years ago

I have all three cultivars. This is their first year to bloom for me. My Darling Clementine blooms its heart out with new blossoms every day. So far, I've only had one bloom from Betty Warren Woods, but it is in too much shade, so I need to move it soon. Humdinger has lovely creamy light yellow extra-large blooms that keep on coming. I am liking it more and more every day. So far, the best yellow that I have is a diploid, Ruffled Perfection. It is stunningly beautiful.

Nancy

• missylin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Is Ruffled perfection an evergreen. I don't remember seeing that one, but I try to stick to evergreens. i live in Florida. I don't think I've seen that one on the two growers I'm settled with right now, Gene Wynne and Eclectic Gaardens. I'd like ot know more about Ruffled Perfection since you are so sold on it. I'm going to get BWW and Humdinger. Maybe add Clementine next year.

• Nancy Barginear
    16 years ago

I understand that Ruffled Masterpiece and Ruffled Perfection were two very important diploids. I know that RM was converted to tetraploid, but am not sure about RP. If you want to know the specifics on certain cultivars, you can go to Tinker's on-line daylily database to find out more about them.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Tinker's Gardens Daylily Database

• bambi_too
    16 years ago

BWW is one of the few yellows I like, it is ALWAYS perfect even on cold mornings. It has it all, substance, bud count, nice foliage.

{{gwi:692147}}

{{gwi:692148}}

• random_harvest
    16 years ago

You need both. If you can only have one, then it's got to be BWW, of course. As bambi_too points out, she is perfection in yellow (as is her child, FERENGI GOLD). But you need MDC for her extra early bloom. In my garden, she's only a day or two behind Stella, weeks ahead of BWW.

• i_c_dillies
    16 years ago

Here is a pic of my HUMDINGER (I hope)
    {{gwi:692149}}

• missylin
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you everyone. I will get My DArling Clementine in the fall for some early blooms for next year. If it's that early, it may be too late to plant it for this year, here in Florida. I love those pictures of BWW. I ordered for from Gene Wynn. I hope my eastern front yard will be enough sun for it. I will have to find out if the Ruffled one is an evergreen.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County