Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

Sounds a little strange to me...

It has been overcast, rainy, and very windy here the past few days, so I can't get out to do much.

So I decided that I might sort thru some of my garden stuff and toss some things. I don't know about you guys, but I always get a ton of garden related mail. While tossing I came across this little promotional booklet for Jerry Baker 'garden potions'. I skimmed thru it. I got quite a few chuckles too.

Here are a few of good ol' Jerrys "motions, potions, and lotions" for your lawn and garden.

Q: How does one neutralize a lawn that has been chemically treated?

A: With sugar water. Add 1 cup corn syrup to 1/2 cup baby shampoo; spray with 20gal. water.

I certainly hope you don't have a mosquito situation...

Q: How do I break down grass clippings faster for compost?

A: Mix 1 can beer, 1 can regular soda, 1/2 cup liquid dish soap, and 1/2 cup chewing tobacco juice

Throw in some chips n' dip and you got yourself a party...

His house plant tonic:

1/4 tsp. instant tea, 1/2 tbsp. ammonia, 1/2 tbsp. hydrogen peroxide, 1/2 tbsp. baby shampoo, 1 vitamin tablet + iron, and 1 capful burbon (what a waste of perfectly good burbon!!)

Add Salt and Pepper to taste...;-)

Tonic to keep away deer and rabbits:

1 tbsp. baby shampoo to 1 tbsp urine (URINE!) per gallon of water.

Well I don't think I'm going to be using those measuring spoons again for baking! I certainly hope your neighbors arn't watching...

And my personal favorite

Q: How do I get my African Violets to bloom? How do I stop the leaves from curling under?

A: 10 drops weak tea water, 5 drops whiskey, 5 drops baby shampoo, 4 drops hydrogen peroxide, and "birth control water" (1 BCT pill dissolved in 1 qt. water)

How can this be a good idea? It does say not to use on food plants...brilliant. That would be a funny explanation, "oh, those pills arn't for me, its for my African Violets!".

What is the strangest garden related advice you have ever heard?

Hope you all have a great day!

CMK

Comments (10)

• keesha2006
    14 years ago

I bought this book... :) Havent tried a thing in it yet tho...

• kimcoco
    14 years ago

Yeah, um, sorry honey, I must've gotten knocked up after using one of my pills to stop my African Violet leaves from curling...but hey, look at those leaves!

...I used the urine for the pregnancy test, and what was left over I threw in the yard to keep the deer and rabbits away...errrr, the the deer. The rabbit already died.

...we're on the right track because that baby shampoo sure is going to come in handy someday with Jerry Baker's recipes. Would you like some Bourbon, honey?

• plantmaven
    14 years ago

About a year ago while surfing composting info, I stumbled on to an article about composting with urine.

It mentioned that both sexes could urinate on the compost pile and went on the "explain" how women could do this standing up. It was pretty graphic!

• amare_al_giardino
    14 years ago

reminds me of the country song...

"God is great, beer is good and people are CRAZY!"

lol!

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    14 years ago

Well here's one that apparently works, or so I'm told. Get your DH to drink lots of beer then get him out there marking your territory, the more beer the more territory he can cover, supposedly keeps the deer out. Just be careful he doesn't get charged with indecent exposure. My suggestion wait till it gets dark.
    Don't have a DH, maybe borrow a neighbor :o).

• newbiehavinfun
    14 years ago

aftermidnight,

Better yet--have a weekly kegger and get all the menfolk to mark the territory! I'm laughing just picturing this! But, hey, if it works...

• ianna
    14 years ago

Well,I recall using antibiotics to clear my fishtank of bluegreen algae!. It worked! the stuff died in sheets.

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    14 years ago

lol!! This makes me think about the beaver problems up at the cottage!! They tend to move into boat houses in the late winter, early spring. Except for my friends boat house.
    And the only thing we could think of that was different, was that we used the centre slip as the ladies room, when we went for a winter's day checkup!!!

Nancy.

• sierra_z2b
    14 years ago

Amare...you might want to change that first word to 'Life' since this isn't a religous forum. :O

PEEPLE ARE DEFINATELY CRAZY!!!

Sierra

• jennypat Zone 3b NW MN
    14 years ago

You know I used his mix for house plants, years ago, I have to say it was great! My house plants never looked better. In fact I used to enter them in the county fair, and took home a number of ribbons. Then I went back to work, didn't have time to baby my plants anymore. And have since lost the recipe. But I do know that the recipe I had didn't call for bourbon!

Jenny P