Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amare_al_giardino

going on vacation..ideas for watering while gone?

amare_al_giardino
16 years ago

Hi all,

We'll be gone on vacation for 8 days.

I've read the posts about using kiddy pools to put my containers in and am probably going to give that a try.

But, in my enthusiasm I was not thinking clearly and I just purchased two K.O.'s in pots and we're about to leave for a week! Do I leave them in their pots and put them in the pool along with all the others or do I go ahead and plant them before we leave? Which is going to be their better chance for survival?

I do have a friend that has agreed to come water my in-ground stuff for me while we're gone. I think she'll do a fine job of that but most of the stuff I'm concerned about is in containers and they need daily watering and I don't want her to have to come that often thus the pool idea.

Would love to hear any other ideas/suggestions you all might have.

TIA!

Stephanie

Comments (8)

• careytearose
    16 years ago

We have in the past always hired a neighbor kid(s) we know down the street or know from church to come water our in ground and container plants and feed our pet rabbit and cat. They would walk down or come over every day- twice a day.

To see pics of our gardens, ck out my Picture Trail:

careytearose

Here is a link that might be useful: look at Landscaping Projects 2007, Favourite ROSES We Grow albums

• honey_girl
    16 years ago

Perhaps you could bring them inside by a sunny window. That way they will dry out slower than being in the elements and your friend can water them when she visits to water the in-ground garden. You can even leave a few full watering cans right by the plants for her.

• DYH
    16 years ago

I set small pots of plants about 3" deep in our water feature (like using a kiddie pool). I gathered all the big planters and pots and grouped them close together on a patio that is mostly shady -- and gave our son instructions to water those every other day. We were gone 12 days and didn't lose anything -- it also rained while we were gone.

Cameron

• amare_al_giardino
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Honeygirl,
    I hadn't thought of bringing them inside. Problem is, I don't really have a sunny window to leave them by. Our sliding glass doors would be the only place and they are the entrance to our covered patio. Think that might still be better than leaving them out in the full heat? hmmm...going to have to give that some consideration.
    If not that then I do like the idea of the shaded patio Cameron.
    gotta keep thinking on this.
    Thanks for your suggestions.
    Stephanie

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    16 years ago

Another way to water containers that should work, Kiddie wading pool filled with water, old pantyhose for wicks, planks for across the top of the pool (if too heavy for the pool place something outside the pool for the planks to sit on) use a dowel or something else to poke a hole up through one of the drainage holes, thread a piece of pantyhose long enough to reach the bottom or the pool up through the pot. This way you just have to keep water in the wading pool.

Annette

• michelle_zone4
    16 years ago

I gather all my pots, including unplanted perennials into one area and set up a sprinkler on a timer to water them once daily and it works very well. I tried the swimming pool once but had it too close to the roof of the barn and we got like 4" of rain and they were floating and some had rotted when we got home.

• DYH
    16 years ago

The unexpected rainfall is why I used our water feature instead of a pool this time. Our water feature has an overflow so it never gets higher than that.

Cameron

• rosy_grower
    16 years ago

Last August I took care of a friends plants and pets while she and her family were on vacation. She put all her containers into a kiddie pool like you said, and left it under her covered parking area where it wouldn't bake in the sun. It worked great for watering the plants, and also the dog!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations