Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginger57_gw

Therese Bugnet Rose all floppy

ginger57
17 years ago

It is blooming right now so I will leave i for a bit. But what can I do to make it more sturdy

Comments (8)

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I've never heard of a flobby Therese. Prune it, however this rose blooms on old wood, prune after this first flush of flowers are done. Don't go too crazy removing too much cane, by doing so you are snipping off next years flowers.

Sharon

• saskadaisy
    17 years ago

Ginger, my Therese Bugnet rose is very floppy, too. It seems to happen after the first the first heavy rain of spring. She usually comes through winter just fine, stands up tall, then flops with the rain and stays that way for the rest of the summer. Very distresing!

Right now DH and I are looking for some sturdy supports to prop up the branches. Failing that, maybe we'll think about some sort of trellis.

I asked about this very same problem last September.Perhaps there is something there that will help you.

Here is a link that might be useful.
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/farnorth/msg091533279391.html
    Peggy

Here is a link that might be useful: Questions about Therese Bugnet rose

• prairierose
    17 years ago

I have an Adelaide Hoodless that lies down when in bloom, the branches get so heavy. It's only about 3 feet tall. I have driven some sturdy stakes in around it, in about 3 places, and tied twine to the stakes to make something like a giant peony ring. Instead of lying down, it looks more like its branches are gracefully arching. A big version of this might work. Just paint the stakes dark green or brown, and they won't show too much hidden among the branches.
    Connie

• sierra_z2b
    17 years ago

I have my Therese Bugnet Rose attached to a fan trellis. It has out grown this one so I am thinking of putting in a 4 x 8 sheet of trellis. There is one bud just about ready to open, hopefully today......the rest will follow shortly.

Sierra

• alpiner
    17 years ago

Floppiness has ben a constant problem with our rugosas. Our John Cabot is about 8 ft and Adelaide hoodless about 7 ft. I don't find a lot of rugosas pay attention to how big they are suppose to grow.

I also tie them up to a trellis or similar structure. If not, they droop even though the buds themselves will often point upwards.

Those years in which the canes die back to the ground are the ones we have the nicest bushes. This year we had little above ground winter kill and I should have agressively cut the canes back (but didn't).

I like roses but find them a little over rated. We'll always have a half dozen varieties but theres lots of other interesting perennials. My favorite roses are Winnipeg Parks,John Cabot, Adelaide Hoodless and the native wild roses for their shape and leaf colour.

• zima
    17 years ago

Alpiner, if you find roses overated, try to grow tender roses. David Austins, for example, will take your breath away. There are roses for every taste, they are queens of the flowers.
    Do not judge the roses by the flowers you see on hardy roses and rugosas. They are great landscape plants for norther gardeners. We live in a climate not suitable for the queen and so we compromize. I love my hardy roses, they faithfully provide me with flowers all summer long. But when I want " the rose", this is not it.
    Sorry, but I had to defend my favorite flower.
    Ella

• prairierose
    17 years ago

I have to admit that personally, I've grown very fond of shrub roses. I do love the ones with the tearose shape, but the others all have their charm too. I've actually come to dislike the blossoms of many tea roses when they become fullblown, finding them droopy. To each their own, as far a roses go! And Tricia, we don't mind you posting here at all.
    Connie