Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_mn_z3b

Let's talk about the Weather in the colder zones-2-3-4.

BillMN-z-2-3-4
4 months ago

I'm mid central Minnesota, newly designated from 3b to 4a (I'll be growing palm up here before you know it!) ;-)

This is the first time that I can remember it raining all day and all night on Christmas Eve Day and forecast rain all day on Christmas day. I'm not complaining, it's been droughty here lately, just a little unusual for my latitude. Also had some nights above freezing with high temps high 30's to mid 40's.

Generally, we're up to our knees in Snow with temps rarely getting above Freezing during the day.

Anyone else seeing a wide upswing in temperatures? Unusual precipitation?

Comments (69)

• 41 North (Zone 7a/b, NE, coastal)
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

This year will be most remembered here for the rainfall and flooding. I edited my post because I saw you have some snow coverage. Was wondering about snow coverage in the upper Midwest because of spring flooding, but that snow of yours is low in moisture content so should not lead to massive flooding without historic rainfall. Still an El Niño winter, not sure how that affects you, but it tends to mean more BIG Pacific storms that eventually become eastern storms. We had one week of normal winter cold but people are still complaining even with 60 F upcoming and 0 snow left, but no more room for more ground water.

BillMN-z-2-3-4 thanked 41 North (Zone 7a/b, NE, coastal)
  • BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    3 months ago

No ice. And with highs in the 30's to near 40's by next week, we'll probably lose what little snow we have.

Winter here could be a non-event, at least compared to the last 3 years with multiple feet of snow, but there's still a long way to go and we could get buried in February and March. At least by then, it isn't with us all winter. ;-)

Our floodings generally occur in the spring, when ice dams downstream slow the runoff from snowmelt and spring rains, backing up the water.

I live on an elevated area of town that's higher than most of the town. Some of the streets in the lower areas here will flood with heavy rains until the outdated storm sewers let it pass.

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

All the big storms from the west have traveled south then back up through the east, missing MN except to the far SSE parts of the state. My BIL in northern Illinois is in a state of unbelief with all the snow.

I'm not too concerned with the lack of snow cover, especially when low temperatures stay above -20.

I'd rather have some spring rains. soaking rains, to replenish our subsoil moisture, something we haven't had here for a while.

I abstained from ordering a few zone hardy conifers this year because they are listed as plants that like consistently moist to wet soils. Some years that's not such a problem here, but too many seasons it is.

I'll be scratching for spots to plant the few that I did order, the way it is. ;-)

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Re: Snow cover:

Looks like east Nebraska, Iowa and on up through Michigan were all in the snow belt this time.

This will all change with a warm front moving through for the next 10 days.

:-)

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    2 months ago

The elusive January Thaw.

;-)

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    2 months ago

It’s been warm herd too. I received an iris catalog, and a canna catalog. I'm dreaming of spring.

BillMN-z-2-3-4 thanked L Clark (zone 4 WY)
  • BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    2 months ago

1-31-2024:

54dF today and might stay around for a while. Beats minus 30's haha!

No snow clinging on any of my plants anymore. ;-)

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    2 months ago

2-5-2024:

Unbelievable spring like weather all last week. The only snow left is where it's shade or had been drifted or piled up by the plows & shovels.

Sun angle 6d higher and daylength almost 2 hours longer than it was at the winter solstice.

View off the deck yesterday:

Had a few walks/inspecting things around the yard with the warm, sunny afternoons.

;-)

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    2 months ago

2-23-2024:

Nothing to talk about weatherwise.

30's to 50's almost every day with nights in the 20's to 30's.

Good thing it is staying cold enough at night to keep things from breaking dormancy.

No snow mostly sunny.

That is all. 8^)

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    2 months ago

Heard you have the warmest wonternof the last 40 years, Bill. Must be nice

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Very nice!

Yesterday, I was able to pound stakes in the ground, to mark potential locations for new arrivals. There haven't been many winters here I've been able do that.

Could be some winter yet in this season but we'll take this while we can get it. :-)

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    2 months ago

2-27-2024:

A dramatic difference in temperatures. Yesterday it was 54df calm and sunny.

Today 16df and dropping with 20 mph winds, -6 by morning and then in the 50's even 60 next week.

last month

Spring has sprung here (NJ/zone 7b), it was 70 yesterday under cloudless skies. Now rain for a week and nothing under 40 F. Wait, Bill, Spring seems to be advancing FAST this year.

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    last month

We've had an unusually warm February and first few days of March, but this week is in the low 20's for lows and near 40 for highs.

50's to 60 forecast next week with lows near freezing. This is somewhat above normal for us and some years we still have appreciable snow.

Even with the ground bare, the frost is not very deep with the mild winter so yeah, it shouldn't be long before the frost is out but we're still vulnerable those late (May) frost/freezes even though we haven't had a frost past mid to late April for a couple of years now.

I have a few small plants coming by end of the week but will have to hold them inside the garage until I can plant.

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    last month

3-17-2024:

Back to winter. After a spell of mid 50's to 60d days, blustery winds yesterday and last night brought a skift of snow and much colder temperatures. Looks like we're finally getting winter for at least the next ten days. Might get appreciable snowfall by next week.

Glad I got my planting done. ;-)

last month

Spring is still advancing FASTER than normal this year in areas south and east.

Northeast, NJ (Zone 7b).

Hyacinths, Forsythia, Daffodils, are all in bloom now

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    last month

I'd like to respond 41 North but this thread is titled:

' Let's talk about the Weather in the colder zones-2-3-4.' :^/

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    last month

They've upped the ante to over foot of snow coming in the next several days. :-\

Finally, some moisture to help regenerate the reserves in the subsoil. ;-)

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    last month
    last modified: last month

41 North, I'll respond with one word .... ENVY !!

I use to grow camellias within a large solarium, though they rather quickly had outgrown their containers.

After some on and off nice weather, it's back to cold here, southern regions of the province to receive a big dump of snow, which is good for the agricultural regions. The winter has been all over the place, November and December fantastic mild, but brutal cold in January with lows as cold as I've ever experienced in my life, so much for any upward zone revisal. Thankfully, appears to have been just sufficient snow cover to protect and prevent die out of some of the slightly more tender plants such as the ornamental oregano, but of course won't fully know until plants push into growth, with the forecast as is that won't be for a good while to come.

BillMN-z-2-3-4 thanked FrozeBudd_z3/4
  • BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    last month

Interesting FB.

January was our coldest month with ONE night of near -20F. There were several single digits below zero nights in January but none in December and only one (-4) at the end of February with a few single digits above zero in the mix, generally a zone 5 winter overall.

Without much snow (3-4") all of Nov, Dec, Jan. and no snow February and so far in March, I'm sure my yard will be devoid of anything not Zone hardy (whatever that is) ;-), come spring.

Our forecast the first 3 days of April are highs around 40f. and lows mid 20's. The average temperatures here rise dramatically after the first week of April.

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    last month

' so much for any upward zone revisal '

According to the map, the border between z3 and z4 was a few miles to my south, it's now ~30 mi. to my north, Caveat Emptor. ;-)

last month

I'd like to respond 41 North but this thread is titled:

' Let's talk about the Weather in the colder zones-2-3-4.'"

I am just saying, expect changes to your local norms. Northeast seems ahead of the curve & changes, could be ocean temp related. Was reading, Midwest and northern plains not seeing it, YET. As for envy, who knows who will envy whom once the earth has its final say in the matter.

Peace out, Happy Spring!

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    last month

All I know is I'm getting pretty darn sick of this back to winter stuff so late in March. But this is more or less a normal phase, for us here barely in usda zone 4.

7df this AM with a foot of snow in the forecast and a couple more single digits above zero after that! Sheesh, I'm only human.

I wish you well 41 north! ;-)

last month

Back to Winter stuff is NOT limited to MN! There have been years when cold, arctic outbreaks late in the season have spilled into the DEEP south and North Florida. North America is a beautiful but bad as! continent. They cause MORE damage south than they do in the great North!

P.S., we just had another dumping of 3 plus inches of rain.

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    last month

3-26-2024:

We're finally at the end of our first spring blizzard of this year. Still snowing but tapering off during the day today.

I don't know exact amounts bc a strong ENE wind blew the whole time. Switching to the NNW today @ ~25 MPH. Makes for drifts and hollows. 16"-18" maybe? Fairly heavy water content.

It's been the first time in years we've had precipitation steady for 3 days in a row. Hope it's a sign of continuing rains this spring and summer.

A look out the patio door this morning:

The snowplow buried the end of the driveway twice now but I'm getting good enough to run the snow blower. 3 months have passed since and haven't needed any help so far with this open winter.

:-)

eta: THE END!

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks Marcia!

We got spoiled with the mild weather. Now everyone's in shock with this late blast of winter.

Only a high of 24 today but with that high March sun, things are melting fast already.

;-)

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    28 days ago

In my part of the world, November and December were fantastic, THEN January's wrath of cold bringing the depths of bitter temperatures not experienced in 45 years. Has remained predominately cold of late, though briefly some very nice temperatures to come before another prolonged chilly stretch of wet and snow. Have heard that April and May are to continue to struggle here, hopefully won't be an overly tortured spring.

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Man, what differences there can be in localities!

We're slipping out of winters grip finally. The first week of April looks warm and sunny.

The biggest danger we have is if it gets too warm in April and things start to grow then get a solid couple days of below freezing temperatures. Generally, the nights are cold enough to prevent breaking dormancy early.

Otherwise, the streets are dry with more sun in the forecast. We picked up a good 1-1/2" of moisture from the snow.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    28 days ago

Yes, I'm in the land of the extremes! Early next week possibly as high as 22 C / 72 F and tumbling afterwards for a lengthy spell of near freezing highs. I guess, the gardens will continue to rest in winter slumber and I'll receive notice of my rose order being held back until more favorable conditions.

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    26 days ago

If we get past the first week of April, the low temperatures mainly stay above freezing or hover near freezing +- a degree or three.

However, a few years ago we had a Mother's Day killing frost in early May that killed everything that was newly planted, uncovered or sensitive.

And years back it was -15 one night in early April. So, we never know except for just watching how the season develops and to be entirely safe, only plant things you can cover if an unexpected frost develops.

Ordinarily we wait until at least first week of May before we plant anything sensitive, watching the forecasts intently until near end of May. Once I can remember a killing frost on June 1st.

We've rarely had a hard frost after the trees are leafed out. I can remember once or twice in my adult lifetime and wasn't any permanent damage. I've seen the swelling spruce buds freeze only to redevelop and grow on unabated.

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    26 days ago

Lots of storms and srong NW flow which means lots of wind here. I’m tired of it. Ready for a pattern change

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    25 days ago

me too. :o)

24 days ago
    last modified: 24 days ago

It never stops raining here, I am done too!

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    24 days ago

Ground is still frozen here.

Had some slush showers last night that looked like snow but came down fast and melted as soon as it hit the ground.

Today the sun finished melting most of the snow in the yard except for the larger drift along the east lilac hedge, it acts like a snow fence when the storm winds are easterly.

Been hard to hit 50d yet the last couple of weeks but more sun predicted next two days and after a couple wet days, we're supposed to get into the 60's by Sunday and next week.

Always a lot of anticipation this time of year and Ma nature doesn't always agree on how soon the growing season will start. Never as fast as I would like it to anyways. ;-)

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    20 days ago

4-7-2024:

Today, 37df windy and cold all-day rain, continuing into tonight.

Yesterday, near 60d and sunny so got all the composted manure spread under the expanded mulch piles on the newly planted trees and lightly spread granular (10-10-10) fertilizer around the deciduous yard trees, hoping to get a little more growth this season after 3 in a row near drought summers.

Didn't have a chance to get the rain gauge outside yet but it's looking like ~3/4" if forecasted correctly. The ground was already somewhat moist with the recent snow melt.

It just doesn't get any better than this, at least not where I'm located. :^)

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    18 days ago

Keep getting wind storms. Tired of it

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

Here in New England, we had beautiful weather for the past two days, but above normal temperatures. They forecast a high of 53F which is about average and I ended up with 60F on both days. So now, I'm concerned that we are going to skip over spring again and right into a HOT dry summer.

Now they are forecasting another round of "showers" and a big downpour on Friday with wind. My garden is loving all this rain. I am just fortunate that our neighborhood and this property for some reason, handles extra rain. We have a lot of mature trees in a small area and I assume the roots absorb it. Our entire neighborhood is flat level land and streets, maybe that has something to do with it.

Anyway - still - the weather has become more unpredictiable and way more stormy here. And what is with all the wind? Last year we had a lot of "showers" in the forecast which often meant, days of cloudy weather with no rain. I had trouble getting plants to bloom in less sun.

And has anyone else noticed that weather people are having a hard time forecasting the weather? They will give a 5 day forecast and whatever they forecast for that 5th day, by the time it gets here, the weather pattern is just the opposite of the forecast they gave 5 days ago. Is it really a forecast if you have to wait for the day before for it to be accurate? Something seems to have shifted.

BillMN-z-2-3-4 thanked prairiemoon2 z6b MA
  • BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    17 days ago
    last modified: 17 days ago

4-10-2024:

First yard peeps for spring 2024:

Paeonia Lactiflora x Paeonia Officinalis (Red Charm peony). ;-)

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    16 days ago

10-11-2024:

We're not out of the woods yet. After a coming weekend in the 70's, its forecast for mid to high 20'sdf coming by the 4-19th and 20th. The frost is almost out of the ground except for some shady/sheltered spots, but even that's on its last leg.

Took some pictures of what is showing life around the yard doesn't look like any losses.

Betla papyrifera catkins:

Taxus canadensis strobilus:

Pinus ponderosa var scopulorum buds expanding:

Rosa Blanda chomping at the bit:

Larix Laricina budding green:

;-)

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    11 days ago

4-16-2024:

The rain falls as we speak/post. :-)

It always comes a day or two later than what was originally forecast, for some reason, and most times, less in amounts than what was said several days ago. Conspiracy? haha/jk.

Windy and cooler for the next day or two, then the frosty nights (3?) will arrive. Might have to pull out the old standby blankets/sheets and cover a few of my plants here.

Comparatively, its looking like an early spring but it's still early so we'll have to remain vigilant. ;-)

• prairiegardener_canada
    10 days ago

This year in southern Alberta we had the lowest temperature (-39.7C) I've recorded since I started systematically keeping track back in 2008. So this year is going to be the big test for all the borderline plants I've planted over the past several years. Nervous to see what does and doesn't come back!

BillMN-z-2-3-4 thanked prairiegardener_canada
  • BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

That's just plain cold. And almost the same in Fahrenheit.

There's always that shadow of doubt no matter where you live, and zone hardiness is not always a sure-fire indication that plants will survive. A sheltered planting location, microclimates, snow cover and length of time it's been planted in the ground will all enter into the equation.

Also, some plants that can take the cold, are not always frost hardy. So, they will survive the winter just fine but it's after they come out of dormancy in the spring and the late frosts hit them that they can be weakened severely and eventually die.

Let us know how things turn out this summer.

I think I'll wait and post later this summer, on everything in my yard, all in one fell swoop, instead of finding and then updating all my earlier posts. :-)

• Marcia Pilipishen
    8 days ago

This has been such an odd winter - higher than normal temperatures and lower than normal precipitation. That being said, there's an inch of snow out there this morning! That's not exciting in itself, but it does mean moisture, which we and the prairies west of here are sorely lacking. In spite of the milder temperatures, spring has been slow in coming. Maybe next week!

BillMN-z-2-3-4 thanked Marcia Pilipishen
  • BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    8 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

27df last night with the next two forecasted to be the same.

In a normal winter, 30's for lows would've been the norm and not until early or mid XXXXX eta: May.

Now everything has already been waking up so we'll have to see.🤞

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    8 days ago

Really cold high temps here, but the lows not mich below average. 26 f or so the last few days

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    6 days ago
    last modified: 6 days ago

Looking like spring will be earlier than normal. One more cold night Tuesday into Wednesday although it's possible for Mother nature to press a sneak attack in May. ;-)

Highs in the 50's next week. That means it was warmer last February and March.

Is that rain in the forecast? I hope the forecast holds true. We need some 'catch-up' rain.

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    17 hours ago
    last modified: 17 hours ago

We did end up with 1" of rain last night, with more forecast so things are looking up.

All trees been breaking bud for the last week with some having leaves showing already.

Time to set up the rain barrel again and maybe put out the garden hose.

Late frost or not, this is going to be an early spring, calendar wise.

And unlike last year, we're starting out with recent moisture in the ground. :-)

• L Clark (zone 4 WY)
    16 hours ago
    last modified: 16 hours ago

Snowed here last night

• BillMN-z-2-3-4
    Original Author
    14 hours ago

At least it's water. :^)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations