Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelao_gw

Ornamental Grasses in Zone 3

angelao
17 years ago

Just wondering what ornamental grasses will winter in zone 3? I know ribbon grass and blue fescue, but are there any others and are not invasive?

Comments (15)

• cailinriley
    17 years ago

Hi, Angela.

You might find this thread, from last year, very interesting and informative. Happy reading!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardy Grass Thread--2005

• cailinriley
    17 years ago

If you decide on 'Karl Foerster' (an absolute favourite of mine, make sure you plant it so that, at some point in the day, it's backlit by the sun.

{{gwi:757758}}

• glen3a
    17 years ago

I grow bulbous oat grass and adore it, it's a smaller size grass (maybe 15" high) but stays fairly clumped.

One of the first things I learned about grasses was that some are cool season growing, some warmer season, some clumping type of grasses, and some are spreading and invasive, which is alright in the right situation.

I made the mistake of planting ribbon grass in my front flower bed. After the first season I realized this was not a clumping sort of grass so I moved it to the backyard against the fence. Not even really in it's own flower bed, just sort of between the regular lawn grass and the fence. I think any part of the grass that grows under the fence into the neighbors yard just gets lawnmowed.

Other than that, I just have the standard blue fescue, actually the tag says 'large blue fescue'.

Have 'Skinners golden brome grass' but it seems to be quite floppy and a bit spreading. I suppose it would look best if I gave it a special spot all to itself but my biggest beef is it's 'floppyness'.

I am tempted by Karl Forester grass, but don't really have a spot for it, but have always been impressed by large impressive grasses. Too bad no one's developed a hardy pampas type grass.

Glen

Glen

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Has anyone here ever grown "Fibre Optic Grass"? I keep seeing it in garden centres and it's sooo cute, but I think it's an annual here and I'm not paying $9 for an annual. Anyone know if it can be overwintered indoors, or if it makes seeds?

• cailinriley
    17 years ago

I've been tempted by 'Fibre Optic Grass' (Scirpus cernuus) as well, but it's only hardy to zone 8, according to some sources, and I've just discovered that it's a bog plant. (I don't have a bog garden...yet!) Sources also say it reseeds freely, and there are several vendors for FOG seeds on the web. You might be interested in the thread below, Gil. It sounds like it can also be overwintered indoors.

Fiber Optic grass companions thread:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/complants/msg0515342320655.html?4

I second Glen's vote for bulbous oat grass (Arrhenatherum elatius var. bulbosum 'Variegatum'). It's a beauty, and extremely well-behaved. It always causes me a little anxiety each spring because it starts growing just a little later than my other grasses. Some sources say it goes dormant in the summer but it stays around all season in my garden...with a little shade and adequate moisture.

Another one that causes anxiety, because it's not supposed to be hardy in zone 3, is Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola' (Golden Variegated Hakonechloa). Mine has not become a large clump because I don't have it in a great situation, but it comes back faithfully each year.

I just remembered another website that's a great source of information about grasses (and other perennials) that are grown in a zone 3 (?) Regina garden. This is a great site to browse through.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grasses and sedges in our garden

• Crazy_Gardener
    17 years ago

Melica transsilvanica 'Red Spire' is pretty hardy, one of the first OG to bloom in my garden.

I was lucky to find these two OG for 1/2 price today!
    Calamagrostis x acutiflora 'Avalanche'
    Calamagrostis x acutiflora 'Eldorado'

Sharon

• Laurie_z3_MB
    17 years ago

Doris, thanks for that Fiber Optic Grass thread. I'll have to try taking mine inside for the winter and see how it does. I've got it planted beside the waterfall, but maybe I should have put it in the pond. I didn't realize it liked that much moisture.

Laurie

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Yes thanks from me too Doris. It was very useful. I will definitely get a pot of Fibre Optic Grass next year when *hopefully* I will have some sort of pond.

• angelao
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you everyone for responding. You provided great recommendations - I hope I can find them in my local garden centres. Thank you again.

• debbiecz3
    17 years ago

Gill, just to let you know I picked up fibre optic grass at Shreimers for less than 5$. I'm going to try to overwinter in indoors this year. I had luck with purple fountain grass overwintering so hopefully it will be the same for this one. And by the way, someone brought in seed for fibre optic grass for our seed exchange this year so it must be available for harvesting. Debbie.

• northspruce
    17 years ago

Thanks Debbie, I need to get out to Schreimers again this summer - I will see if it's still there. Good to know about the PFG too. Just what I need - more stuff under lights all winter! LOL

• PRO
    Outdoor Room Designs
    8 years ago

Karl Foerster Feather Reed Grass is very successful here in Zone 3 (Edmonton/Sherwood Park). However, I do want people to be aware that the variegated version of these are not as 'well behaved' - they tend to spread (Avalanche and Eldorado).

As well another fantastic ornamental grass that I have been very successful with is

Carex
    muskingumensis 'Ice Fountains.

Absolutely stunning, reliable and well behaved.

• marciaz3 Tropical 3 Northwestern Ontario
    8 years ago

I've taken in my fibre optic grass two winters in a row and it didn't survive beyond a couple of months either time. I thought last winter it might be because of inconsistent watering so I made sure it was watered this year but it made no difference. I guess it's easier to just let it go and buy new in the spring.

• learnbydoing
    8 years ago

I quite like Indian Grass, the species. Beautiful rich fall color. Very hardy in harsh Zone 2-3 here. The variety 'Sioux Blue' also fairy hardy here, barely. Lives, but doesn't do as well MC