Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
giants_2007

Improved Celeste or not so Improved?

giants_2007
13 years ago

So not real happy at this time already had some fruit drop 2-3. Tree is loaded as you can see and looks real healthy. I acquired this tree last year a small 8-10 inch rooted tree in July grew great and set fruit last year most dropped but a few did ripen and were good.I attributed last year fruit drop to young tree and late ripening almost Dec but it stays warm here no cold till mid Jan. Tree went dormant and I re potted, woke up in March April and looked good put on a bunch of fruit as you see but seems like it will drop fruit again. I know many pursue this variety and try to find that perfect Celeste but is it really worth all the trials and tribulations or the wait for it to be more mature and holds it's fruit. Any way had to vent and would like to hear some input. Celeste is the Gray pot far right

Comments (16)

• herman2_gw
    13 years ago

Celeste is a hardy Fig cultivar.
    In Florida it is not necesary to be in pot.
    When in pot Fig is stressed,and so Celeste when stressed,for any reason,like heat lack of water,etc ,drops the fruits.
    When in ground,it is much relaxed.
    And when relaxed,it makes absolutelly top quality fruits,even here in Nj ,out of its normal climate range.
    Last word:If you intend to grow in pot in a hot climate,do not grow Celeste.
    Grow Violette de Bordeaux,Marseilles,Black and wht,Col de Dame,Barnisotte,Gino's fig,Stella,Kathleen Black,Paradiso,etc.
    You will be much happyier.

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

First off.......I suggest that you paint your pot WHITE...black draws too much heat in our area.

Improved Celeste is an excellent tasting fig and much more productive and 1/3 larger than a regular Celeste. In your climate LSU IC will fruit for you until frosts forces it to go dormant. It is nearly an everbearing fig. I would give it more time.

FYI, I have located a large LSU Improved Celeste tree that is growing in south Louisiana right next to a large "palmate leaved" O'Rourke fig tree. I will be studying the fruiting characteristics of these two trees. The leaves are definitely totally different......and look to be two distinct cultivars from the LSU breeding program. More later..........

Dan

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

I did not see Herman's post when I posted.....excellent advise from him.

Dan

• giants_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks both Herman and Dan I will try to be a little more patient with this one and see what happens. If it does drop fruit I will give it to a good home where it can be placed in ground. The tree is not showing any signs of stress by what I can tell and is one of my healthiest looking ones. It is loaded with figs and I might have to discard some to help with the others to ripen. it is about 6 ft tall and has about 60-75 figs on it at least. Patience is not one of my strong points lol ;o)
    Sal

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

Sal, do not under estimate the benefits of painting your dark container white. In our climate it can make a real difference.

My neighbor was trying to grow Mirlitons (chayote squash) in a half 55 gallon barrel black plastic container. It was was half buried in the ground. His plant was struggling for many weeks to get established.....despite regular waterings. Only after painting the 1/2 barrel container white as I suggested to him, did his vine really take off. His vine is now growing rapidly onto its trellis and he should have a nice crop of those delicious squash in the fall. Black (or dark) containers can really absorb TOO MUCH HEAT in our area.....even indoors when in contact with direct sunlight. It is a simple fix to paint it white with a cheap can of spray paint. It really does make a difference in keeping the roots and soil at a cooler temperature..... thereby reducing some of the thermal stress on stress sensitive fig plants (i.e. those that easily drop figs). I have seen others double potting to lower the temperature. And if I were to grow my sensitive figs in containers, I would definitely try using a white Styrofoam container for its insulating properties and its ability to "breathe" a bit and hold water better.

Dan

• giants_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, 5 more figs fell off 2 in picture and 3 more which I didn't notice. They get a little color and look shriveled and fall off no bigger than my pinky. I pinched off about 15 little figlets and will wait to see how it responds with some added fertilizer this week

• herman2_gw
    13 years ago

Giant:Very Important:Do not brake of the new figs on this cultivar.
    They are the ones that will persist,and get ripe.
    This cultivar when stressed drop first half of formed fruits and keep second half till ripe.
    Your fig is stressed,in container or inground in Florida.
    If your climate is not:
    75F to 85 F,all Sommer.
    40 percent or less humidity,all Sommer'
    30 inches of rain or less all year.
    If it is not all the above,your fig is in adverse condition,and therefore allwayes stressed.
    My figs in NJ,are also allwayes stressed,if in container or inground,but for different reasons,yet it is also adverse climatic conditions.

• giants_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Herman I removed a few like I said the weather here has been wicked hot 90's and humid the feel like temp will hit 105 today just terrible. I will not remove anymore figs. It is growing well and looks healthy other than dropping fruit, leaves are a nice green no sun burn showing as of now. It will stay in the container it was potted up from 5 to20 gal container in March so I doubt there are that many roots on side of container. It is placed where it gets the least amount of direct sun as compared to my others as it is shaded a bit from my house about 6 hrs of full direct sun and 6 hrs of partial sun. It is the only one which has dropped fruit so far. It was the last to set fruit other than my yellow unknown. It will be left alone with just my normal MG every 12-16 days. Thanks for all your insight It is greatly appreciated coming from you. I will follow your advise.
    Thanks Again
    Sal

• frozenjoe
    13 years ago

Sal,

How did things ever turn out with your Improved Celeste this season? Did it ever end up holding fruit and being productive? How was the fruit?

I was wondering if this one is worth getting if you live in a really hot climate.

Joe

• noss
    13 years ago

Hi Sal,

If your celestes are still in your liana and in pots, can you put a fan on them and cool them down in the heat, just for an experiment?

Just a thought...

noss

• giants_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Joe And Noss, The tree started to hold some fruit later on in season. It is a very sweet small fig where the flavor ( to me ) is over powered by the sweetness.
    This is only my opinion and taste.
    I also think I did some things wrong previous season as I root pruned a young 8 month old tree and potted up to 20 gal. I was just so exited about it's first year growth and did not know any better. This year it will be left alone other than some shaping and no root work. I do enjoy a sweet fig as long as it also has flavor, my wife on the other hand thought they were great.
    Noss I will not go to great lengths for any fig trees as I have a few that give me very good figs with not much care or fuss. : )

• noss
    13 years ago

My Improved Celeste has good fig taste and is larger than a regular Celeste. How small is the small you are talking about with your IC?

Thanks,

noss

• giants_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Noss Look at post 13 I think you can get an idea. Also 2nd pic in same post I/C are the bottom figs

Here is a link that might be useful: Improved Celeste

• frozenjoe
    13 years ago

Sal,

Thanks for the info.

Joe

• noss
    13 years ago

Thanks Sal. Those ICs are way smaller than any I've seen, as compared to the quarter. Maybe it has to do with the size of the tree because the ones I've eaten came from older trees, grown by a retired UL professor who has a huge garden not far from here, Dr. Mayers. Your trees certainly look very healthy.

Those other figs look so delicious.

noss

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

I agree with you Noss. LSU Improved Celeste figs are much larger than those pictured.

That black unknown fig looks to be a nice fig.

Dan