Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

Chinese wisteria summmer bloom

The Chinese wisteria 'tree' is doing a nice summer bloom this year. This year has been a very weird one for it - the strange weather we've been having since early spring obviously confused it a lot. The leaves emerged about two weeks early in spring - and totally hid the spring flowers! So I've been hoping for a good summer bloom to make up for the lack of show in the spring. It has produced a nicer-than-usual summer bloom that is also weeks earlier than normal. The summer bloom usually is at its peak in late July but it is blooming nicely now. The flowers don't show up against the foliage very well in photos - it's much prettier in 'real life' :-) This picture is from early this morning:

{{gwi:158297}}

Has anyone else had their wisterias perform strangely this year...?

Comments (4)

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

That's beautiful. I've never grown wisteria.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    11 years ago

Lovely, we're so far behind this year mine has just finished it's first bloom.

Annette

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    11 years ago

You've done a nice job pruning that Wisteria, Woody. Great shape! Happy for you that you got another round of bloom. Is it fragrant this time around?

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, it's fragrant both times. The fragrance isn't strong though - it doesn't carry far. Normally the spring bloom is so profuse that the scent is noticeable in the surrounding area in early morning. The summer bloom is considerably less profuse so the scent isn't obvious unless you sniff the individual flowers. The young Japanese wisteria flowered for the first time this spring - its scent is really nice too.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County