Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amare_al_giardino

Morning Glories...

amare_al_giardino
16 years ago

Hey everyone,

I've been away for several days and am just now getting re-connected. It's taking forever for me to read and catch up with all the posts!

My garden is really doing so beautifully and is in just it's first year. I planted some seeds and some perennial starts from a friend. Among those seeds, are some Morning Glory, Heavenly Blue. I did all the "right" things as far as planting them goes. Non-fertile soil, soaked them first, etc. They are growing beautifully and I'm quite surprised at their size but there are no blooms yet. I've grown them with great success in the past but I lived in NE Okla. at that time and am now in NE Kansas. I cannot for the life of me remember how long it took blooms to appear in the past. Can anyone give me any hope that these vines will eventually have some beautiful blooms???

Stephanie

Comments (5)

• maidinmontana
    16 years ago

Mine are vining well, but as I recall they bloomed late in the summer like around the end of July, then it's non stop. I do see a few swollen buds on mine that may be flower buds but sometimes the new leaves can be mistaken for buds. I put mine in the ground around my mail box post and put a tomato cage for them to climb, it's a great location for them dry yucky dirt, they did great, until the bunnies decided they were a good treat and chewed them down, but they did come back and I think they are even bushier now, should I say thank you to the bunnies. . . NOPE!

I had them in a bad bed as far as MG go last summer, moist rich soil, little sun, no support and they climbed everywhere, even got stepped on and mowed a few times, this spring I had some volenteers from those plants make a grand presence, they are the ones about to bloom, and again no support. Go figure.

• lavendrfem
    16 years ago

Stephanie - take heart - I've worried about that too. My morning glories are vining nicely right now in a spot that gets at least 5 hours of sunlight. But I'm only getting a bloom here and there. I think it's a mid to late summer blooming plant.
    But worth the wait. They're so beautiful!

Estelle

• evesapple2
    16 years ago

stephanie,did you see my post w/new pix? i also have plenty o' vinin'goin' on with very few bloomers!!! i planted several packets of seeds. all different colors. just a few grampa otts and of course the wild ones. maybe they just need more time.

...kim...

• lorinscott_1
    16 years ago

Mine are vining, too, but I've only had one flower so far. I've got some in full sun and some in partial shade, so it's not a question of sunlight....I think they're just later bloomers.

• amare_al_giardino
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey everyone,
    Thanks so much for your words of encouragement. I do feel better that you all aren't seeing many blooms yets either and over on the vines forum, a guy named Arum who seems to be the MG guru growing over 100 varieties in his own yard, assures me "they will bloom, just be patient".
    So hang in there everyone and by all means, POST PICS of your beautiful blues when they finally decide to show their faces!
    Happy vining!
    Stephanie

Sponsored