Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stevec_gw

When should I transplant new cuttings to in-ground

stevec
17 years ago

I have a number of juvenile figs that I reared from cuttings last winter. They are currently potted and set in my garden under mulch. For much of the spring/early summer I had the pots set under my mature figs allowing protection from direct sun. For the past month they have been in open garden space. Most of the plants are between 3 and 4 with much of their growth still green (not hardened.) While a few of these are destined for larger containers a few are planned for in-ground plantings. The Q  when should I plan on moving those planned for in-ground to their final location? Would it be better to allow these plants to over-winter in garage with the rest of my container plants and move them to their final location next spring Âor go ahead and set them in their location this fall once the heat has abated?

Comments (7)

• herman2_gw
    17 years ago

Unhited Garage for winter ,Plant in grownd in the Spring.

• stevec
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK ... It is my expectation that a significant number of roots will have wandered out from the holes in the 1 gal containers they are in now by the time they go dormant in the fall. When I prepare to bring them in for with winter should I prune these roots or pot-up to the next higher container for the winter (in order to protect these roots.)

-Steve

• herman2_gw
    17 years ago

I will pot up ,to up to 5 Gall.Container if you have it ,if you have larger containers you only fill them Half to three quarter depending how big the container is.,That wiill take care of next year.Regards

• elder
    17 years ago

I guess I'm the maverick of the fig forum - not only do I bring my first year plants inside in the winter, as suggested by Herman, I also don't let them go dormant for that first year. I learned to do this because I had lots of brugmansias to overwinter, and adding a fig tree or two didn't make much difference to my efforts. But, lo and behold, these overwintered fig trees really took off when placed in the ground the following spring.
    I wouldn't worry about saving the roots coming out of the pot, let them dry off. There are probably loads of roots inside the pot which will serve the plant well, and the tree won't suffer from transplanting up.....Elder (Lou)

• stevec
    Original Author
    17 years ago

A few months ago, while pruning my trees, I removed the leaves from a few short branches and stuck them in a pot of soil. I promptly ignored them. Low and behold, they have rooted and now sport a set of leaves (don't get me started with all of the pampering I did with my winter cuttings and my With these being so young and tender, should I bring them inside for the winter -or- go ahead and let them go dormant and move them to the garage? From Lou's prior comment, he doesn't let them go dormant ... what is the pro/con for this?

Both cuttings, as you can see, are tip growth and very green (have not hardened at all.) The left branch is from a Sultane the right is an Alma.

One other thing ... at some point I will need to separate these into their own pots ... when should I do this?

-Steve

• elder
    17 years ago

Re dormancy: keeping them actively growing during the Winter gives me something to do; sometimes think dormancy is a convenience for the grower. Also, I have had several varieties of young plants which produced a pretty big crop in their first growing year after keeping them growing through the Winter. And, unfortunately, I have had trees go dormant, and stay dormant. Elder (Lou)

• bjs496
    17 years ago

You mean God didn't invent dormancy for me to take a vacation? LOL

~james

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH