Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_lu_gw

our daylily garden this evening... (pics)

mary_lu_gw
17 years ago

Each day there is more color in the daylily garden. Every morning I go out before work to see which new ones have opened that I haven't seen before.

I only wish I could capture the vibrant color in photos. During the day, in the sun, the color tends to wash out and in the evenings the photos are darker. Neither really show all the color as it is.

This evening as we walked through the garden, I just had to go in and get the camera and try again to capture it in photos. Not individual blooms, but the entire garden. Hope you enjoy it as much are we are.

Marylu

{{gwi:733550}}

{{gwi:733551}}

{{gwi:733552}}

{{gwi:733553}}

Comments (43)

• gardeners_hands
    17 years ago

!

wow!!

neary speechless.................... with delight...

• gardeners_hands
    17 years ago

... also can't type...

meant to say nearly - you knew that.

It's all dreamy and must be just the most delightful 'Welcome Home!' imaginable, right?

(envy creeps among us...)
    GH-

• ntaylor_2006
    17 years ago

I still want that column!!!

Turning Green here too....

• kathi_mdgd
    17 years ago

Very pretty,what's that purple on the column???
    Kathi

• hollyhocker_123
    17 years ago

Marylu:

Just breathtaking the fence in the front of your house and the street. Looks like Hilldale where Dennis Mitchell lived! Your fence and the street looks like the the front of George Wilson's house! Who BTW was an avid gardener remember! Marylu your garden is just gorgeous. Enjoy it as much as I do mine!!!:):)

• BecR
    17 years ago

Wow! Marylu your garden & daylilies are so cheerful and welcoming, thanks for sharing these beautiful pics with us.
    -Becky

• FlowerLady6
    17 years ago

Good morning Mary Lu ~ What a wonderful first post to read. I ooohed and aaahed and can just feel the peace and happiness that your garden creates. You've done a fantastic job and what a greeting anytime of day. Your daylilies are beautiful!

FlowerLady

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you everyone. It does cheer me every morning when I walk out to see what has opened for the day. This has become a ritual every morning before I leave for work.

Actually this is our side yard. We live on a corner and have a double lot. The house was built centered on the 2 lots. The front of our house is very shady so have mostly hosta and other shade lovers there. Although on the front corner we did plant a small rose garden across the corner triangle this spring.

The purples in the pot on the pedestal are petunias. So far they seem to be surviving this summer's heat. Wasn't sure how they would do.
    Marylu

• keesha2006
    17 years ago

Pretty as a picture..

• lynnencfan
    17 years ago

Stunning - simply stunning.......

Lynne

• friend
    17 years ago

you hjave a beautiful home and gorgeous neighborhood, really.
    it looks so picture perfect. You are making me want to do more daylily's too. Just got an"offer" in the mail from dutch gardens.. am considering! :)

beautiful garden and your grass is making me sick. I may be eve greener than your grass- which would be a feat in itself.

• fammsimm
    17 years ago

Mary Lu,

Your gardens are show-stoppers! I know if I were driving by, I would slow to a crawl and probably stop, to take in all their beauty.

I love your choice of colors, too. It's all so inviting.

Thanks for sharing your photos!

Marilyn

• ggschmerl
    17 years ago

Mary Lu,

Your yard is so very beautiful. You've done a wonderful job. I also do not think I've ever seen greener grass than yours. It makes me want to walk through it barefoot, looking at all your lovely beds.

Mindy

• gillian00
    17 years ago

Am I allowed to say I am sooooo jealous? Your gardens and lawn are fabulous! Thank you so much for sharing them with us.

• bluejean
    17 years ago

How Beautiful! (great photography too!) I skipped envy and headed into pure jealousy! I had a recent catalog arrive with bautiful pictures of daylillies in it and was counting up how much money I would have to spend to get a few of all that struck my fancy (-WAY too much money!) I guess I will have to show your pictures to hubby and see if I can get him on board with the dream! lol

So breathtaking! Thank you for sharing!

bluejean in ohio

• alicia7b
    17 years ago

Wow. The deer on my property would say the same thing. :)

• pat_tea
    17 years ago

Hello Mary Lu good-bye heart! Your gardens take my breath away. I am remembering the excitment in the cottage when you first got that beautiful column and to see it with all those beautiful daylilies - my heart be still!

• diannesjmo
    17 years ago

Absolutely beautiful, Mary Lu! How wonderful to walk thru the garden every morning and evening, the scent must be heavenly. I love your fence too, and your street certainly does look like a postcard...... most inviting!

Dianne

• katrinascottage
    17 years ago

Mary Lu, your yard is simply stunning! I LOVE the column!! Your garden is a feast for the eye... thanks for sharing it!
    Katrina

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I really can't take very much credit for this garden. My DH picked almost all of the DLs out and also placed them in the garden. I only moved 1 or 2 when he wasn't looking! Basically all I did was dig the holes, put them in and fill the hole back up! But DH thanks everyone for their compliments! Shhhh....he is smiling from ear to ear!

Oh...while I'm at it, I guess I might as well confess that the pillar was his idea and then he found it in an antique shop too.

There goes my reputation......down the tubes :-)
    Marylu

• gurley157fs
    17 years ago

I love it when people post picks of an entire area rather than just a flower. It helps me get ideas for my own garden. Yours is very beautiful!

• gardeners_hands
    17 years ago

Oh...while I'm at it, I guess I might as well confess that the pillar was his idea and then he found it in an antique shop too.

There goes my reputation......down the tubes :-)

ummm, yeah, but you picked him!
    GH- (jealous of that too!)

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dare I say that he cut out and built the picket fence from a pattern that I modified too?

• flowerchildky
    17 years ago

oh so nice! add my 'ooohhh' and 'aaahhhh' to the others posted here-

I do have a question- on a recent garden tour, I saw day lily's planted in what looked like 3-4 inches of mulch- yours looks much the same (so neat too!) Are they actually planted in that much mulch, or is the soil kind of mounded up with a top layer of mulch? I just had 2 huge tree stumps ground out, and have all this mulch type 'stuff' and need to find something to use it on :))

thanks for your help,
    and be sure and post more pictures anytime!
    Linda in Louisville

• Eduarda
    17 years ago

Mary Lu, what I really want to know is when are you and your DH finally opening your B&B? You know I'm first on the line for that lovely bedroom with the bay window overlooking the garden! :-)

Your_friend_across_the_Atlantic_Eduarda

• Hollywog
    17 years ago

That's so beautiful! it makes me want to go and dig up all of my scattered-about daylilies and make a new garden with them! Daylilies are my favorites--they put on such a show and the best part is that they are nearly IMPOSSIBLE to kill!!!! So lovely and so sturdy. You've done such a fabulous job bringing out the best in them! Congrats!
    Hollywog (on her way out to re-evaluate the garden plans)

• pfmastin
    17 years ago

Your daylilies are beautiful! (and I'd kill for your lawn!)

• natvtxn
    17 years ago

Flowerchildky, use that mulch on all your gardens. You can also find a spot "store" any excess to replenish your gardens next year.
    Also, if you are going to strt any new garden beds you can use the mulch to lasgne the new spot.

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

flowerchildky...yes use the mulch. We buy cedar mulch in bulk for the gardens. It is spread about 2-3 inches deep. What gives the garden that look you referred to is that we cut deeply into the soil at the edge of the garden to outline it. This helps to keep the grass from growing back in as we do not use an edging.

Eduarda....probably not for 8-10 years....can you wait that long?

hollywog...in the garden room they are scattered among the roses. Sounds like what you have done also. DH wanted this bed to be all DLs except he picked out 3 double knockouts to plant in the 3 raised rock rings. Thought this would give interest during the times the DLs were not blooming. I also "snuk" in a few other perennials so that there was color during DL resting time. :-)

• Vikki1747
    17 years ago

Mary Lu, can't think of a discriptive adjective for your daylily beds that someone before me hasn't used already...wait, here's one
    Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!!!!! Oh, and by the way, does your DH have a twin, lol....Vikki

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry, no twin. Yes, I must admit he is a dear. :-)

I just realized this evening that the pictures I posted above did not show the small path from the sidewalk through the DL bed. We haven't hung a gate yet as we are unsure just what we want. Have been thinking of either just hanging a chain across the opening, or possibly one of the old metal gates with the twisted wire in the middle.
    {{gwi:733555}}

• girlgroupgirl
    17 years ago

Marylu, I'm suprised you don't have traffic accidents in front of your home with people trying to rubberneck that garden! Spectacular!!

GGG

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Not really funny as that almost happened! A lady who works at the group home down the block was coming down the street so that she could turn into our alley. Well she was so busy looking at the garden she crossed over into the other lane. Luckily the oncoming car was local and was paying attention. The oncoming driver had to come to a complete stop and wait before the other lady realized she was in the wrong lane! I didn't see it happen but another neighbor did and she told me all about it. I happened to talk to the lady who crossed over into the other lane last night and she sheepishly told me what had happened. (she didn't know that I already knew about it.)
    Marylu

• flowerchildky
    17 years ago

thanks for the tips and info MaryLu and natvtxn..

I am sure I can figure out lots of places to put my 'treasure'

Linda in Louisville

• lousit
    17 years ago

Hi Mary Lu, your neighbors must adore you, your garden has to be the best I have every seen on private property. I really enjoyed seeeing it. THANKS!

Lou

• mora
    17 years ago

Oh stunning!!!! Dare I ask how many varieties you have?
    I only seem to get one or two stalks on each of mine, any advice? M

• lucia59
    17 years ago

wow! I am so envious of the lilies.
    I started a small lily garden this year, but I dare not show photos cause yours definately puts my little patch to shame. I have only about 4 different varieties so far and they are so small, but in a year or two it should be looking good.

thanks for sharing

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks so much, everyone!

I believe total there are about 50+ varieties of DLs in that bed. DH picked out 43 and we moved some from another garden into that garden also.

I do find that there seem to be many more people walking past our home the last several weeks, several with cameras! :-)

Mora...not sure why. I can't believe how many have multiple scapes and branching this year. Especially as we only planted them last summer. I did apply Hookers formula this spring. Maybe that helped?

• ashley_nc
    17 years ago

Mary Lu,
    Daylilies are my favorite flowers so I'm adoring your garden. It's quite an inspiration!

The urns at the fence where you plan to put a gate, what is the low growing vine/plant that is cascading over the sides? It's quite lovely and I think it would look great in my flowerboxes next year.

Lurking alot lately,
    Ashley

• memo3
    17 years ago

Mary Lu, I just stopped by to swoon over your photos one more time and to tell you that you have inspired me to the point that I have ordered 50 new daylilies. I have dreamed of doing this for years and so, today, the dream begins. Thank you so much for finally giving me the push I have needed!

MeMo

• butterfly1061
    17 years ago

WOW! Where can I get a garden like that? Oh, at your house Mary Lu - hehehe. I love DL's and that is one spectacular display.

• mary_lu_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Memo...you go girl! You will not be sorry. DLs are such a pretty sight when blooming, and if you get early, mid and late ones you will have a long bloom time. When I got back from an out of town business trip tonight, the bed is just as full of blooms as the evening I took the pictures above. Have you checked out the DL forum? Lots of good info there too.

Another great thing about DLs is that this horrible heat we have been having does not seem to faze them. Can't say the same for some of my other plants though. :-( The rain gauge did show almost a 1/2 inch of rain while I was gone, so could have been worse.

• memo3
    17 years ago

Thanks Mary Lu. I ordered just about every size, type, color, deciduous, ever-green etc. that there is. It will be very exciting to get this all put in. Glad to hear you got some rain. We haven't had any for months now. It's way to dry.

Rose

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH