Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eddielicious

Height of bathroom wall sconces

Hugh GeBut
11 years ago
I am installing 2 wall sconces flanking a mirror over the sink. How high do i want to place the sconces on the wall? The ceiling is 8' the total height of the vanity and top is approx 35". Is there a rule of thumb?

Comments (18)

• bathdilemna
    11 years ago
    I have the same exact question! I hope someone answers! I am somewhat limited based of the size and shape of my mirror and closeness to a corner wall on one side.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    Usually aim to have the scones hung 1/3 down from the top of the mirror depending on its size.

north albany master suite · More Info
  • bathdilemna
    11 years ago
    Thanks for your answer!
  • Allie
    11 years ago
    I love your sconces. Where did you purchase them? Thanks
  • jackiedeaton
    9 years ago
    I do not have room to put the sconces on each side of the mirror. Would it look strange to put sconces on the walls that are perpendicular to the mirror? You would see the reflection of the sconce in the mirror.
  • lucindanyc
    9 years ago
    This bathroom has that type of set up, although there is some tile on both sides of the mirror.
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    9 years ago
    Bathroom sconces should always be more or less eye level... the purpose is to fill in the sides of your face with light, so when doing rough in on a spec home we put boxes approximately 65 to 70 inches from the floor.

If dealing with the hallway area we put them no lower than 60 to 66" from the floor and usually 72" apart from each other... typically with higher ceiling they can be a little higher.

I hope it helps
  • PRO
    Clear Lighting and Electrical Design
    9 years ago
    Place the wall light sources (fixtures) at the height of the center of your face around 60 to 65 inches aff.

Let’s start with the shape of a human head itself. Our heads are tapered downward from our cheekbones. Fixtures that just deliver light from the top of a mirror; only illuminate the top of your head. They produce a distinct shadow below your cheekbones and nose. This creates a less-than ideal reflection of the lower cheek, jaw line and mouth. The image below shows optimal light fixture selection and placement. Compare it to your makeup area. Is there a difference? Talk about “seeing the light.” Enjoy Your Project ~ ClearLED.biz
  • laphillygirl
    9 years ago
    What about proximity to the mirror?
  • Desma Dunne
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the good info! I may be thick headed but are you saying the bottom of the fixture should be 60-65 inches from the floor?

• Kelly Chavanu-Johnson
    8 years ago

How far from the mirror should the sconces be? Thank you!

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    8 years ago
    Depends on your mirror size but usually 36-40" apart.... Keep in mind that each situation is different just make sure the lights are level and spaced equally on each side.

Good luck!
  • sunnydrew
    8 years ago
    My fellow houzzers helped me last year. Here are my gorgeous sconces on a 72" vanity.
    Measure it carefully and be there when the electrician comes to install them.
  • PRO
    Leo Dowell Designs
    8 years ago

The height of the sconce has more to do with where you want the light than vanity height or ceiling height , a common misconception. If you prefer the light to light your face, the bulb height should be at eye level or no more than 5" above. Otherwise you will be looking up into the bulb and will have shadows on you face.....this is a typical wrong placement. But you must also keep this in mind when selecting the right size sconce.

• Kristin Holman
    8 years ago

Sunnydrew I love your sconces. Do you recall the designer? What is the spacing to the right and left or the mirror and the size of the finished mirror? 9" spacing and 22" finished mirror maybe? If so, could you have fit the sconces in a smaller space? I am trying to do a mirror and 2 sconces over a 42" vanity. Thank you!

• L J
    8 years ago
    What if you have a couple with more than 12 inches height difference. How would you determine sconce placement on side by side mirrors?
  • Katrina Tate
    7 years ago

We have a 6" height difference but I am having the sconces placed about 60" above the finished floor, at my eye level, since I am the primary user.