Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dancinglemons

Have you ever planted a fig on public ground ??

dancinglemons
15 years ago

Hello all,

I live in a city with lots of 'empty' public grounds. I have been rooting figs for the first time this year just to get a 'feel' for how it is done. I drive past empty median strips every day and some of them have been planted with flowers by citizens. I am considering planting fruit trees on these median strips - in the middle of the night when there is no traffic. Comments anyone??

I might make myself a t-shirt that says 'guerilla fruit tree brigade'.......... maybe -- maybe not.....

DL

Comments (10)

• nude_gardener
    15 years ago

my dear unknown friend friend: i love your way of thinking very much. i think that's a good idea although it needs some planing and preparation, be ready with all your tools.
    if you plant it someone might take it home?

although i am a nude gardener i would like to have one of your T shirts . i wish you the best.

• gorgi
    15 years ago

You N.G, please stop being naughty! Some young naive
    future fig-nuts may be reading this stuff! Maybe you
    one should show a revealing (proud) picture, so as to
    be officially banned off this FF...

• peg919
    15 years ago

Georgie,

Thank you for the above post. It needed to be said.

• nude_gardener
    15 years ago

you ppl must be joking?

• mrhappy
    15 years ago

Everyone knows that Nude Gardening means you don't use mulch.

• nude_gardener
    15 years ago

mrhappy, :-)

• svanessa
    15 years ago

Getting back to the posted subject, I wish I had taken pictures of our shoes at Wolfskill at the end of the day. Jon pinned the term fig-foot. The soles of our shoes were so caked with rotted figs that had dropped to the ground it was hard to walk. It was almost impossible to remove it without scraping with a stick then scrubbing the remaining off with a scrub brush. It was VERY sticky, gooey mess.

I can unfortunately understand why there are no fruit trees or many trees that drop inedible fruit growing in parks or in medians. Can you imagine the lawsuits, founded or otherwise, from angry motorists whose car has been hit with rotting fruit while passing the tree? Or if someone ate a fermenting fig and got sick? Or even the anger of the gardener who has to mow beneath the tree getting his machine clogged with rotting fruit? I'd love to plant parks with fruit trees but it's not practical in this lawsuit environment. They would be removed unceremoniously.

Sue

• wakerry
    15 years ago

It is very odd you posted this. Just the other day I was wishing I lived further south so I could plant some figs on 'vacant' lands that would overwinter without help from me.

If you haven't heard of it there are groups of 'Guerrilla Gardeners' that do just that. They go out at night and beautify their cities with plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Guerrilla Gardeners

• svanessa
    15 years ago

Kerry,

What do you find odd about my post? I reviewed over half the GG blogs and I stand by my statement. The GG's are planting flowers, succulents, perenials and non-fruiting trees. I didn't see reference to one fruit tree planted. I may have overlooked it but if there is such a post I'd like to know what happens to this plant over time.

Sue

• wakerry
    15 years ago

Sue,

:-) I didn't mean that your post was odd, just the timing of it as I had just recently had a similar thought. Unfortunately I don't live in a place where the climate would support me planting out a fig.

There are GG's all over the world. I hadn't heard that fruit trees were a no-no and wouldn't see why they would be. Perhaps it is cost prohibitive with most fruiting plants?

Happy planting.