Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

Gardens in Phoenix AZ

User
16 years ago

DH and I will be in Phoenix AZ Sept. 26-30. He will be in meetings and I will be having a chance to run trails with a friend I have not seen in years. There will be a garden tour on Saturday night with a gourmet dinner under the stars. I am so excited. I wish they had said what garden. We will also tour the Frank Lloyd Wright Home.

I would love suggestions for things to especially look out for in Phoenix. Other gardens...Native American Art...special dining experiences..thank you , Caroline

Comments (10)

• DYH
    16 years ago

I've only been there on business (in meetings all day), so I empathize with your husband! It's beautiful country.

Cameron

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I found out it is the Botanical Garden that we will tour. They have a beautiful web site. There is a dinner after. I can hardly wait. I am going to try and see what other gardens there are to tour. Thanks Cameron

• cooperbailey
    16 years ago

How exciting! I am jealous, I grew up there and had a chance to visit there in 99. Jordans for Mexican is a must.And Durantes for fine dining- which I think is next door. In 1999 we walked into Jordan's and it was exactly the same as when I was there 25 (don't feel any older) years before. It is authentic Sonoran Mexican food. drool. If you get time to take a road trip- Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon are close enough and wonderful. On the way (I think)is Montezuma's Castle, an Anazazi Indian ruin. fascinating. When I was a kid, we could walk thru the pueblo- and climb up the ladders and wander through all the rooms. And all the artifacts were just laying around, no one touched them. Times change.
    Scottsdale has become a mecca for artists and has numerous galleries.

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cooper..thank you ! That is so great to know. We are getting a car and we get in on Wed at noon so have the rest of the day to mess around before his meetings start on Thurs. We will make note of the restaurants. We will be at the Embassy Suites. I need to look at a map of the area too. So much to do !! Thanks again Caroline

• cooperbailey
    16 years ago

Caroline- keep in mind my info is a bit old as far as restaurants. and I would mapquest areas for drive times and map it from your hotel. You will love Talesian (sp) West. Do you remember that Stalin"s daughter married Frank LLoyd Wrights son and lived in Az for a long time (just a little factoid) Don't forget it is a desert and you will need more water than you think ..Have an awesome time. Sue

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No I didn't know that about Stalin's dght. I know that it will be 100 degrees there and very dry. We lived in SLC and Santa Fe so I assume it will be similar. I appreciate ALL the suggestions. You are great to take the time. If you think of any other info. I would be glad to hear it. I did find the site that has 15 things you need to do while in Phoenix. We are planning on the Thursday night Gallery walk in Scottsdale and possibly the Apache trail drive if we have time. I'll be running at South Mountain Park where they have a 100 mile Ultra in Oct. that my friend helps put on. Too much to do and so little time. ! Thank you , Sue

• SusanC
    16 years ago

One hour east of Phoenix is the truly spectacular Boyce Thompson Arboretum. Really, really worth the drive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Boyce Thompson Arboretum

• angelcub
    16 years ago

Oh yes, do check out Boyce if you can. Too bad you won't be there longer because if you're a Lloyd fan you'd love the Biltmore. The gardens are nice but the architecture - oh my, stunning! Lots of old time movie stars stayed there so there's loads of "interesting" history, too. ; )

My bro lives in a suburb outside of Phoenix. It is still very hot in Sept. so do take lots of sunblock. Have a great time!

Diana

• User
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Diana and Susan. I wish we did have more time. DH has a lot of meetings so I will be on my own in the daytime. I know it will be hot...I sure wish we would be there in Nov instead...what were they thinking?? Anyway I know we will have a fun time. I really appreciate all the suggestions. Thanks, Caroline

• cooperbailey
    16 years ago

Caroline, if you like Phoenix in the heat- go back in Nov. you will love it then! have a great time. Sue

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH