Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keesha2006

Recommend your FAV clematis....

keesha2006
17 years ago

Pink or purple spring/early summer clematis...

I have four of five purples ones, most of which bloom in mid/late summer or fall. I want to plant with them on the same trellis..a pink/or purple EARLY bloomers..... I am lo0oking for about four diff types... I know I can research them and find plenty..in fact I have been looking at some..but what I want is YOUR favorites and why it won your heart. I would prefer tried and true favs... I am looking for early color with punch...but I don't want anything as aggressive as Sweet Autum so it chokes out my late bloomers...so a relatively less aggressive vine that will share the trellis of late bloomers... The trellis is large on all of them...about 6 ft high by five foot wide..so I don't need small varieties..just not aggressive ones...please offer your favorites and why... I am planning next springs additions alreadY!

Comments (19)

• keesha2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

they need to be part shade....

• gottagarden
    17 years ago

Clematis "Blue Light" is a big double early bloomer.

BUt my favorite is "roguchi" - Clematis integrifolia x durandii -
    It begins to bloom in early summer and lasts through fall with gorgeous, nodding, 2 inch blossoms (like bells) in the deepest shade of indigo-blue. It's not the typical large flowered clematis, but it's nodding bells are wonderful and bloom for months and months. I love it!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    17 years ago

For ease of maintenance, I'd suggest you plant vines from similar pruning groups on the same trellis. Unfortunately, this will limit your choices a bit, as a good many early season bloomers are from group 1 or 2, while the majority of late season bloomers are from group 3. Different vines growing on the same trellis will invariably intermingle and if they have different pruning requirements, you either have a huge mess when it comes to pruning time or you prune them the same and risk missing or delaying bloom.

FWIW, 'Roguchi' is not a vining clematis, although it has a limited ability to climb. It is a herbaceous form, generally grown as a sprawling, shrubby perennial.

You might want to take your request to the Clematis forum for more input.

• mary_lu_gw
    17 years ago

If you are looking for a type 3 (hard prune) I just love Marmori. It is a Kivistik clematis and is very hardy in my zone 4/5 garden. I have it planted in several places. This picture was taken on June 17th this summer. It is reblooming lightly again now.
    {{gwi:41654}}
    The clematis in the center, somewhat between the foxglove is also Marmori.
    {{gwi:743495}}
    I also have several others from their colection and all are hardy and bloom on new wood. So for my zone 4/5 garden that is great, particularily as I inter-plant them with roses.
    This picture was taken on June 9th this summer. Both are Kavistik, the light blue is Silmakivi and I believe the purple is Viola.
    {{gwi:573520}}
    Close up of Silmakivi (my favorite)
    {{gwi:743499}}
    link below to some info on Kivistik clematis or you can just do a search on Kivistik clematis.
    Hope this helps.
    Marylu

Here is a link that might be useful: link to some of the Kavistik clematis

• keesha2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

wow..marylu those pictures are GREAT and your in my zone also..very helpful. I love Marmori also..and a nice color for my gardens. How old is that vine?

• mary_lu_gw
    17 years ago

If I remember correctly I planted the Kivistiks in the spring of 2004. The really nice thing is that I prune them down to about 18-20" in late winter and this is what I have by early/mid-June!

I had planned to buy several more Kivistik varieties this spring,(I have a list of "wants") but our local garden center lost their supplier this year. The buyer assured me that she will do her best to find another supplier so that she can again carry them next spring. Keeping my fingers crossed.
    Marylu

• bellarosa
    17 years ago

{{gwi:576511}}

{{gwi:576511}}{{gwi:576511}}Â Â
    {{gwi:168896}}

{{gwi:168896}}{{gwi:168896}}Â Â
    {{gwi:203450}}

{{gwi:203450}}{{gwi:203450}}Â Â
    {{gwi:578954}}

{{gwi:578954}}{{gwi:578954}}Â Â

{{gwi:585329}}

{{gwi:585329}}{{gwi:585329}}Â Â

{{gwi:596290}}

{{gwi:596290}}{{gwi:596290}}Â Â

P.S. Please excuse any typos! Also, click on the pics to view a large image.

• keesha2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

nice pics bellarosa...the red and pink combo is striking!!!

It is exciting to see your SA clematis blooming too..mine is loaded with buds but not yet blooming...your pics remind me of the beauty yet to come!

• limequilla
    17 years ago

Geez, If I could grow clematis like these pictures, I would be really happy with *any*`kind! sigh.

Lime

• keesha2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Can I second that Lime, pretty awesome stuff isn't it..now how am I supose to decide?????? :)

• MizJoy
    17 years ago

If you like a deep intense colored one, Ville de Lyon is an easy to grow large flowered variety. I have one growing through a Mock Orange bush. I love the combination.

• keesha2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mizjoy I just planted two of those this year. I got just a few blooms but it sure was pretty even tho it was small...looking forward to next years show!

• balsam
    17 years ago

Beautiful clematis pictures! I gotta get some pictures posted somehow.

My favourite fall Clematis is Clematis tangutica or Golden Lantern Vine. It does amazingly well here in Canadian zone 4b/5a, but it is a "bit" aggressive. I have it on one section of cedar rail fence and it basically takes up a whole 8 foot section on its own - both sides. I just keep giving it a haircut to tame it.

Mine has just started blooming and is covered in 2 inch golden flowers. It will go until hard frost (October?) after which, the seed pods turn a silvery white and stay on the vine until Nov/Dec. It's really stunning in the winter sunshine.

I discovered it growning between my greenhouse and chicken house this summer, too! Now, how did that happen????

• georich5
    17 years ago

I'm just starting my SA clem. Last year a friend gave me a twig and now it's growing up and over the porch railing and moving up the post. Many buds. I'm so thrilled. It gives some morning shade and creates a soft green bower. What a great plant.

Bellarosa--yours is out of sight.

georgeanne

• bellarosa
    17 years ago

Georgeanne,
    Thanks for the compliments. You are going to just love SAC!

• bean_counter_z4
    17 years ago

Gosh, what beautiful pictures everyone! My favorite to date is Dr Ruppel. It has bloomed off and on throughout the summer. Also it has never shown any sign of disease like some of the large bloomers. The colors are more intense with morning only sun.
    {{gwi:743508}}
    One of mine is planted in a pot with an Austin rose.
    {{gwi:221804}}

• ditas
    17 years ago

Marilu, thanks for sharing photos of your lovely Marmori and Silmakivi they are absolutely beautiful. I have a few, all but the Blue Bells stressed out during the 2 weeks of heat-wave we had (even with protective plants to keep their feet cool.

Bellarosa - I was searching for an enthusiastic grower of a vine for my newly erected arbor when I ran into your Sweet Autumn photos and she won my heart! I chance to find one late in the season and in a very sad state - they gave her to me for next to nothing - to add insult to her sad state, I even accidentally broke the only stem that showed some life - I set her in, at the foot of the arbor anyway and true to her nature, as read from the SA thread, climb she did, & branched out too!!! A few days after, another local nursery just got a new shipment of very young ones - not knowing if my first one would bounce from the accident, I brought home one of them and after a week in the ground buds started showing and very soon, the most delightful blossoms opened with beautiful & gentle, jasmine like scent!!! Again thanks for sharing your photos and thoughts. She is my favorite!

• michelle_zone4
    17 years ago

I don't believe I have seen Nelly Moser mentioned. Early bloom with intense color.

{{gwi:743511}}

• ditas
    17 years ago

Michelle - Your Nelly Moser is simply beautiful!

I recently picked up a 'Cezanne', as I wanted to have a skyblue one - although I have 5 different ones, I' don't know as much as I should, about growing and caring for them. All I know about Clems are that I love them and that they need to keep their feet cool on those very hot days of summer. So I care for them as best I know how and provided a protective perennial to cover their feet and still none of mine look anywhere near as beautiful as all of yours posted in this thread. Mine are planted by the fence with hopes that they'd crawl and climb and cover up the chain link fence.

I wonder if anyone knows, whether Cezanne could be grown like Marilu's Marmori or Michelle's Nelly Moser instead of setting him by the fence, like the others?

FYI my clems are: Josephine,Ramona,Marie Boisselot, & Snow Queen.

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor