Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crackingtheconcrete

I'm so excited- new fall flowers and Heuchera River

Unexpectedly, a fall flower budget practically fell from the sky, and I'm so excited!! I have coming:

Buddleia "Evil Ways" (I love lime green or golden foliage and this is chartreuse with deep purple blooms)

Buddleia "Miss Molly"

Primula "Snowflake" (I love how the blooms look cut by pinking shears)

Echinacea "Maui Sunshine" (gorgeous yellow- I really really hope this overwinters well, but I'm taking my chances)

and I'm just now really discovering Epimediums and love their froth of fairy bells, so I got one with hot pink spurs and yellow cup

Also, I exchanged for heuchera and had seen this amazing article a few years back in a magazine about a gentleman who forms a river of the same type of plant flowing through his garden, then makes "banks" of other flowers around it. My garden is teensy, but I'm going to try it with Amber or peachy heucheras as the river.:)

Comments (6)

• Annie
    12 years ago

That sounds fantastic!
    I only have three little Heucheras and guard them like they are made of gold! In the Spring and Fall they do well, though, so hoping to see them bound in this cool weather we sudden;t are getting.

Make sure you take pictures of your "river's" progress, with before , during and after pics so we can see the transformation.

Your friend from far West over the rivers and across the prairie,
    ~Annie

P.S. - you outta see my T. plant! It has doubled in size this week! Love the sweet little cherub-like leaves. I'll send you some pics.

• crackingtheconcrete
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Annie! So glad it's doing well :)
    I have heucheras that just dwindled to nothing (obsidian and citronelle) and others that are lush and lovely (Southern Comfort and Lime Rickey). Not sure what made the difference, but I just love Lime Rickey and peachy colors.
    I tried making the "banks" of grasses and daylilies and instead just ended up planting taller plants in front of the heucheras and looking like a jumble. Lol
    A blow to my designing ego, but gives me something new to try for.:)

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

I've seen that method of planting drifts of woodland plants before, but not heuchera. Sounds great!

I adore Epimedium too! I think they are sorely underused in gardens. Too bad, since they are so useful and tolerate the driest shady sites and even do good under shallow rooted shrubs/trees! That is one plant I never feel bad about buying more of.
    CMK

• crackingtheconcrete
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm really starting to discover woodlandy plants more since one corner of my garden is so overshadowed by a tree and apt. buildings. For some reason two of my epimediums seem to have "vanished" and I'm so hoping that they just went dormant :?
    I like so much how the flowers dangle.
    I love hepaticas and anemonellas also and had the sweetest little double I picked up at a plant fair in Deleware. It did great for 2 years and then also vanished. Lol
    Bummer

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

How exciting to have that windfall! The plants you ordered sound great. Now, once they are planted....pictures? Please...

• crackingtheconcrete
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay, they arrived, huge, healthy, and buddleias blooming. One bud on the Maui Sunshine, so I'll try to take pics when it opens.
    Primula looks teensy, but I'm assuming it was trying to go dormant from the heat. I'll try to add pics later this week. (Hoping the buddleia will have more blossoms ;) )

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County