20 years ago

Mine are the works of Joy Larkcom.

Comments (4)

• bev1951
    20 years ago

Eliot Coleman is the only one I've read so far. Looking for more. Bev

• mercurygirl
    20 years ago

If you're into vegetables, get "Growing Vegetables West of the Cascades" by Steve Solomon. Comprehensive and explains a lot about our unique growing conditions. I'm new at this and what a great shortcut to have the benefit of veteran experience! He founded Territorial Seed Co. (I think).
    Also the Sunset Western Garden Book.
    Check out raintreenursery.com for LOTS of info about fruits and nuts of all kinds.

• mcStargazer
    20 years ago

"Root Cellaring" by Mike & Nancy Bubel.

This book teaches one how to incorporate a root cellar into a year-round feast from the garden. They individually discuss many vegetables, pointing out the ones both above and below ground, that could stay right in the garden throughout the winter. The book also covers many fruits, nuts, and other food items. One section of the book details storage conditions necessary for the different foods: cool & dry, moist and cold, not quite so moist and cool, etc... They teach you how to design everything from a full-size walk-in cellar to how to use hay bales or old barrels & other items to construct places to store vegetables.

Also included is a menu/calendar of what a typical family might eat through the year, broken down into categories of: fresh from the garden, from the root cellar, canned, and frozen.

I presume the book is written from the point of view of a USDA Z6 gardener since they are from southern PA. After reading the book, I've decided that I can probably get away with storing most of my root vegetables right in the garden since our soil rarely freezes for long here on the border with zone 7. What I DO need to come up with is a coolish dry place to store: garlic, onion, sunflower seeds, grains, nuts, winter squash, etc... The book has also encouraged me to try growing some greens right through the winter.

Overall, the book was very enlightening. I would recommend it to anyone wishing to extend the time in which they feast from their own garden.

• aka_peggy
    20 years ago

"Root Cellaring" is a great book and has some good ideas for creating root cellars in unusual places.

I also like Eliot Coleman's "Four Season Harvest". I got both books used through Amazon at great prices. I was surprised by the new condition as neither appears used at all.

Sponsored