Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

Note To Self: Buy more...........next year.

Is there anything you grew this year that that liked so well that you want to buy more next year?

I am not one to plant multiples of one kind of perennial, though I do buy various cultivars and forms of certain plants. But there are a few things I would like to buy more of:

Perennial Geraniums that tolerate full sun, for fillers.

Another Euphorbia polychroma (now called E. epithymooides). I love this plant!

Salvia officinalis- purple and variegated forms- and various kinds of Thyme. I might be making a new bed in the front yard next year for veggies, with a boarder of herbs by the sidewalk.

Might buy at least one more Polygonatum. I have a little collection because I like them so much (they tolerate dry shade, need I say more!!?). Epimedium for the same reason. I wish they bloomed longer, but they are useful.

Chaenomeles speciosa 'Cameo'- peach flowering quince shrub. I have a baby start of it, but really want a bigger one.

More Pulsatilla (Pasque flower). One of mine died last year and I am determined to have lots more in the garden so I will never be without!

Maybe another Polemonium 'Brise d' Anjou'. I have had great luck with this plant and just love the foliage.

Oriental Poppies for fillers. Really want to try 'Patty's Plum' and the purple re-blooming 'Harlem'.

And more Ornamental Oregano! I like the cascading kind like my 'Kent Beauty', but may try some other cultivars/species too.

As far as annuals....

You guys know I am not really into them. But there are a few things that have impressed me (yes I am eating my words!). Linaria 'Fairy Bouquet' is such a nice little thing! Airy snap-dragon like flowers that are so delicate. And Double Rose and Purple petunias for the front rose bed (they looked nice next to my lavender). And maybe some interesting cultivars of Pelargonium. They are so easy to root from cuttings, so I am justified a little. ;-)

How about you guys?

CMK

Comments (31)

• spazzycat_1
    14 years ago

- More non-weedy/seedy Alliums. I was impressed by A. 'Millenium' this season and liked the fact that it started flowering in mid-summer.

- More Chrysanthemum 'Snow Dome'. This is a hybrid between regular garden mums and C. ajana. It was incredibly drought tolerant with light, almost silver foliage. It is just now starting to bloom. I couldn't believe how adaptable this plant was. I planted it mid-summer and it showed absolutely no sign of stress through our hot and droughty August.

- More Coreopsis pubescens 'Sunshine Superman'. Bloomed from late May to Frost. Amazing.

- More heat tolerant Heuchera. The new cultivars with H. villosa parentage really performed well for me this past year.

- More Rabdosia longituba. This is a great plant for the shade garden that I had never heard of before. Very airy, very cool, very adaptable.

- More Salvia x 'Balsalmisp' (Mystic Spires) if it proves overwinterable. I loved this Salvia.

Annuals: More Coleus, Plectranthus, Euphorbia 'Diamond Frost', Angelonia, Gomphrena, Cuphea

• seamommy
    14 years ago

-Small bark chips for mulching garden walkways. The spent and composted old mulch will be shoveled into the flower beds.

-Lavender and rosemary plants to line the driveway, and large pots to grow them in for a touch of elegance.

-More 'S' hooks for hanging baskets in the greenhouse.

-Potting mix to replenish the barrel in the potting shed. Also, greensand and lava sand to keep on hand.

-Wood and screening to build a screen door for the potting shed. It will stay cooler inside, and the screens will keep birds from nesting in my pots, and wasps from nesting under the bench. Not to mention I can work out there at night with the light on and not get eaten up by mosquitos.

-Elephant ear bulbs for the front flower bed, Gerbera daisies for the shady garden, and succulents for the planted boots.

-And anything else that I see that I really like...Cheryl

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

More lavender :)

More petunias, I love the white ones because they show up at night around my porch, looked great with the star jasmine and the hummingbird moths loved it!

More roses, especially the old fashioned ones and some rugosas.

CMK- I think your front garden with the veggies is going to look great. My favorite vegetable last year was the purple pole bean. Beautiful purple flowers and purple beans that turn dark green when you cook them. They taste good too :)

Also, more Cinderella pumpkins, but I'd plant them earlier!

• DYH
    14 years ago

The only perennial on my wish list (at this point) for next year is MORE salvia 'Mystic Spires' and 'Indigo Spires' - if they overwinter.

I have been editing and rearranging my favorite perennials to create better design. The empty spaces are going to be left blank for fall seed sown annuals like larkspur, poppies, nigella, etc. that will be replaced by summer seed sown annuals such as zinnias.

I have a huge space approved by the Homeowners Association to turn into another garden. However, at least for this year -- I just don't have it in me! I don't want to start a new project until I've redone existing space into better designs. I have allium bulbs and lots and lots of seeds on hand.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to turn our gravel guest parking space into a formal garden with hedges and pea gravel. No one seems to want to park there -- everyone goes to the concrete parking court instead, even though it makes for a longer walk to the front door. With a good gravel foundation, I don't think it would take much to hedge it and dress it up with pea gravel and use lavender there. It is a hot, hot, hot sunny space.

Cameron

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

Cameron- Do you have a vegetable garden or potager, or mainly use perennials and annual flowers? You have such a great gardening zone, I just wondered what all you grew there :)

• roper2008
    14 years ago

Hardy Phlox. Only ordered 2 plants. Should have bought more.

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    14 years ago

I want some red yuccas. Been looking at them for a couple of years, but don't know where to put them. But I noticed that they have these big seed pods on them during the fall, so I'm just going to have to get some!

More mini roses in one certain bed.

More brugmansias - somewhere! I have one, and the blooms on it impressed DH and me so much, I'll have to get more!

More iris bulbs. I planted a few last year, and I love their blooms as well as their spiky leaves, so I want more of them.

More clematis, more passion vine, and more moon vines. Just got to get DH out there to put up the supports! :)

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    14 years ago

Aster ericoides 'Snow Flurry' is an aster available at my local nursery. Each year I swear I'm going to buy a bunch and every year I don't. Next year I'm going to have her put a half-dozen or so aside for me. I have a great spot on a slope in full sun where it will look great!

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh yeah, I also want to get more Asclepias too. I bought a pot of 'Gay Butterflies' last year and liked it a lot. The color is a dark yellow/gold color. I want to see if I can find a more true yellow, as I have a spot that needs just that.
    CMK

• DYH
    14 years ago

Lavender - can't do veggies here in deer country without using a tall fence. We can't hide it from the neighbors, so it won't happen.

• keesha2006
    14 years ago

seeds!!!!!

• token28001
    14 years ago

More pain medication for starters. For plants, I want more rudbeckia. They bloom so long and reseed so easily. I already have tons of babies popping up all over. I plan to move them into better locations in early spring. I also want more fall blooming plants. I've got asters, mums, and helianthus now. I need to make more pineapple sage plants next year. I thought 15 would be enough. I have 8 remaining of those I planted out. They're still going. I also want more cosmos. I need the pink/white shades. I've got orange ones coming out of my ears. I'd also like some more hardy ferns for the north side of the house. And maybe some more variegated hosta. And some evergreens for the back yard. In winter, nearly everything dies down. It'd be nice to keep my privacy all year long.

And of course, more seed. And dirt. And seeds. And dirt.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    14 years ago

Ever since a hummer came flying into my garden and spent a few minutes in my agastache a few feet from me, i decided i must have agastache tucked in everyhere! Its so pretty and you cant beat a hummingbird! I also love salvias, need more of those. I love roses but i need to plan better because i bought 5 different bushes and still need a spot!
    Also on my list is the pink annabelle, the strawberry vanila twist hydrangea and that boomerang lilac they are introducing next year. I also need more pink daylilys, i just discovered the lily auction so im going to use that source for those.

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

More help! Where can I find people to work in my garden for free? LOL

Original Author
    14 years ago

-LL, they are called family members! ;-D
    CMK

• skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    14 years ago

Morning glories. The ones I grew this season were so beautiful and I so enjoyed them. I'm going to plant them all over the place next year.

• roper2008
    14 years ago

I forgot, more sweet allysum. Smells so good. More Morning Glories
    Agasache's , Dr.Suess and Cherub Brug's

• newbiehavinfun
    14 years ago

holleygarden -

About the yucca: be absolutely sure that you want it, because there's no getting rid of it. Ever. I've been trying to dig up yucca that we inherited when we bought the house (it doesn't go with my garden scheme) and it just will. not. die.

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

I need more vertical elements in my garden. I'd love to put morning glories in and maybe some sweet peas! Also need room for the purple pole beans :)

• silvergirl426_gw
    14 years ago

delicate flowered coreposis - I got sweet dreams (? - I think)this year and along with moonbeam and rosea these are my longest blooming flower -- bloomed here in CT z 5 continuously from late spring into late October. Now that's a hard worker. Also more pink cosmos. Can never have enough. And more pale nasturtiums. Since Thompson and Morgan developed those pastels, I want them to wind everywhere on the deck. More dark salvia, another long bloomer. And yes, more agastache for the hummingbirds. Also, more daffodils. Seems like every fall, my wrist is so sore from digging in my rocky soil, and then come spring, when I can barely wait forthe gardening season to begin, there are just never enough for my April fix. And this year, I think I speak for other New Englanders, more SUN!

• pippi21
    14 years ago

What's with the pineapple sage plant? I noticed a lot of Southern gardeners plant this..have a picture of what it looks like? Tom, what is that beautiful red plant..large bush that was posted under Fall pics?

• nckvilledudes
    14 years ago

The following link should take you to what pineapple sage plants look like while in full bloom. When you crush the leaves you get the pineapple fragrance. Its hardiness here in zone 7a is iffy--some years it survives and others it doesn't. Must depend on the winter severity and/or the microclimate it is planted in as well as drainage.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

Evergreens and shrubs with berries! I need more winter interest in the garden :)

• neverenoughflowers
    14 years ago

I agree with lavender lass, I need more shrubs with berries.
    I am definitely buying winter berry and beauty berry this spring.

Original Author
    14 years ago

-neverenoughflowers, I just love shrubs with berries too! There was a thread a while back about those shrubs, it had some great pics and ideas!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Fruited Branch

• token28001
    14 years ago

pippi, the bright red plant is Salvia splendens. That specific variety is one known here on GardenWeb as Yvonne's salvia. She would save the seeds each year from the largest plants. Yvonne passed away last year, but her seeds live on. I've exhausted my supply this year. I've only got a few seeds left as I've sent it to as many people as I can. I hope next year to have 5-6' tall plants. Mine topped out about 55" when the frost came.

Here's a measurement from August 3, 2009.

{{gwi:397561}}

• pippi21
    14 years ago

Thanks for my Yvonne's Salvia seeds..that pineapple sage plant is beautiful too. Is it Annual or perennial? Sun or shade?

• token28001
    14 years ago

Pineapple sage is Salvia elegans. It's considered an annual here in my zone, so I take cuttings and overwinter them under lights in the basement. Cameron has one that has come back several years. It really depends on the rainfall here. Cool, wet soil will kill it over the winter. I've found it likes a little afternoon shade, but morning sun in my zone. You can usually buy it from the same racks where Bonnie has her veggies at Lowe's and Home Depot. This is my first year getting seeds from it. The hummingbirds love it. Bees will cut the blooms to get to the nectar. A few butterflies were spotted late in the season too. It doesn't start to bloom for me until late August, but it goes right on til frost kills it back.

• Mickie Marquis
    14 years ago

I grew some Japanese morning glories that I loved. Also, a low groundcover - Veronica 'Georgia Blue'; blooms nearly all season. I cut it back when it gets ragged and it starts blooming again real quick.

More self seeders, too. For a while I didn't want anything to grow if I didn't plant it there (OCD). But now, I'd appreciate some help - if it bothers me, I can always yank it! I'm up for a few surprizes so I can set my sights elsewhere in the garden. Will be fun.

I go through phases. I started gardening with annuals. A few years ago I appreciated Avent's t-shirt - FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS BUY ANNUALS. Now I'm buying them again. That's the awesome thing about gardening - you can make all these lateral changes in interest and never grow bored with gardening.

I have been a passionate gardener for almost 50 years now. Love it all.

Mickie

• quilt_mommy
    14 years ago

There are SO many things I grew last year that I'm doubling, tripling, quadrupling this year! Poppies for one, so far I've winter sown 5 packages of different kinds, also nasturtium which spreads like wildfire and is near impossible to kill. I'm going to use it to cover the old compost pile and next to the pumpkin patch for something pretty to look at.

Also the sweet peas I grew last year were amazing, I grew three packs and will probably sow around 10 packages this year for more impact. The smell was heavenly also!

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    14 years ago

I'm planning on buying more of a few things next year too.

Chrysanthemums. I have been buying a 3 pack from Bluestone every year for three years now and I am really enjoying them. I need about three more 3 packs this spring and I can't wait for them to all mature and fill in. They are so dependable and since they bloom in the fall, they look good all season.

I was so enthralled with Casa Blanca lily this year, that I decided despite the Red Lily Leaf Beetle, that I'm going to start adding more lilies. I just love them!

I tried Angelonia for the first time last year and it performed very well so I want to do more of those this year.

More roses. I seem to have finally figured out how to get the couple that I have to do fairly well, so I want to add a couple of climbers, but I'm not sure which yet.

More boxwood. I have a few and I want to add a few more next year.

More string beans and peas in the vegetable garden.

I've been adding more epimediums, ferns, and hellebores among others but I think I have enough for the time being. I don't even remember what I added last year. I'm waiting to see what's what come spring. [g]

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus