Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryecooder

Pictures of Different variety of Figs

ryecooder
13 years ago

Hi Guys I wanted to start this thread so others and me included can learn from some of the different variety of Figs.

If anyone one want to help out and post pictures of your fig trees and the name, it would be a great help Thanks.

Rye

Comments (25)

• viaggiatore971
    13 years ago

I' writting from italia
    you can see here all the kind of fig that exist in Italy
    ciao
    http://www.ficuscarica.com/carica.html

• dieseler
    13 years ago

A few Pictures to enjoy.

Hardy Chicago
    {{gwi:844138}}
    Violet de Bordeaux
    {{gwi:844140}}
    Negretta
    {{gwi:811277}}
    Grise Olivette
    {{gwi:811098}}
    Jerusalem
    {{gwi:808587}}
    Ronde de Bordeaux
    {{gwi:813030}}
    Pastiliere
    {{gwi:844144}}
    Ischia Black
    {{gwi:844146}}
    Nero Belleclare Nursery
    {{gwi:844148}}
    Dark Portuguese
    {{gwi:811026}}
    Panache
    {{gwi:811044}}
    Native de Argentile

Kalamata Black- Belleclare

Mission
    {{gwi:800425}}
    My Jolly Tiger

My Yard Pics
    {{gwi:813273}}
    {{gwi:813277}}
    {{gwi:813275}}

• sergnic
    13 years ago

The naming and classification of figs is a real quagmire.
    Often in Italy a variety of fig trees in a village has a name, ....and a different name in another, and other names elsewhere. Often two different varieties have the same name.
    There are varieties that have at least twelve different names. (see: Fig Varieties: A Monograph).
    Traveler gives you a panorama of images of Italian figs (figs, and names, mainly of the South); Dieseler gives you pictures of his (whole) plant of fig, with or without fruits.
    It is better if you indicate what do you need: pictures of fruit, or plants, notices or other, to learn.

• paully22
    13 years ago

Very nice plants Martin & appropriate timing "Summer Like". It's a wet, wet Christmas in this part of Canada. Very soon it will be spring and I look forward to it. I see your collection is creeping up. BTW, does your Pastiliere drop a fair number of figs ? My 2yr old tree(Baud) seems too for now.

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Pastilere drop them all but 1 ripe fig that was very promising in taste and in its beauty.
    I showed picture last season of it-exterior and interior of this fig on the other forum.
    This tree produced for first time at about 14 months of age.
    I will give it a few years i have decided.
    I have Rouge de Bordeaux which i hear might be the same but will find out in future seasons growing them side by side.
    Rouge is even younger and may not produce next season if it even survives dormancy.
    Yes i have enlarged the number of fig trees i have but will discard some in future its a revolving thing as im very picky when it comes to taste some will get discarded in time im sure and i will acquire some others that i have in back of mind that i want to taste to see if there right for my palate.
    Martin

• noss
    13 years ago

Martin,

You have beautiful fig trees. I especially like your little negretta because it's such a pretty little tree and I also like the Jolly Tiger with its variegated leaves. So classy-looking, but all the trees look so healthy.

noss

• ryecooder
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the contribution dieseler :)
    very nice

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

Dieseler

These are a beautiful trees man you must be an expert on Figs. Congratulation.

• alb419_ny
    13 years ago

Martin,
    it is a nice fig show,you made the top 10,(bravo)
    Giuseppe

• dieseler
    13 years ago

I sincerely hope no one thinks i got carried away by showing some of mine - but he asked. ; )
    I have others not shown and it was my hope that Others would show there trees as well and or fruit.
    Yes ive do enjoy them as a hobby along with the taste of some figs just not all types.
    Martin

• noss
    13 years ago

He asked for pictures--You posted some. I never get tired of seeing your fig trees, Martin. They're a pleasure to see.

noss

• debbies_cockatiels_2
    13 years ago

Martin,
    Your pictures are great, they make me wish it was summer
    again. All of your trees are wonderful!!!! I never get
    tired of looking at fig tree pictures...
    Thank You Very Much For Posting Your Pictures.
    Debbie

• ryecooder
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marten I am hoping someone will post more pictures of different variety too :0 Thanks again

• wally_1936
    13 years ago

I think everyone enjoys seeing you trees or they wouldn't be on this forum. I don't know what type fig TREE I have, had to cut it back as it was reaching out over my fence on two sides. The trunk is over a foot in diameter. I prefer fig bushes as they are so much easier to pick as I don't climb anymore. So I am going to put a new cutting in the ground and try to get a bush again. It seems I am the only one in our family who enjoys them and I can't get me neighbor to come and pick so they won't go to waste. I am too lazy to put on my leg and go pick them so I only get the low hanging fruit.

• ben_in_sofla
    13 years ago

Martin, great looking potted figs. I will be growing a few in pots as well and was wondering what type or fertilizing regiment do you have your potted figs on?
    I will be trying the Joe Morle fertilization mix from figs.net and evaluate that for a year.
    Tks

Ben

• alb419_ny
    13 years ago

trying to post picture

• ryecooder
    Original Author
    13 years ago

alb419 go here to show you how to post pictures on forums
    http://www.ibdguy.com/posting.shtml

• alb419_ny
    13 years ago

ryecooder,I have posted pictures before ,but do not remember how,picture was there when I did preview message, thanks for your help.Ciao,
    And Happy New Year to all the fig forum members

• ryecooder
    Original Author
    13 years ago

alb419 you have to paste the line that starts with href=" make sure you paste the whole line

• alb419_ny
    13 years ago

ryecooder,
    thanks

• alb419_ny
    13 years ago

a large fig

• ryecooder
    Original Author
    13 years ago

nice pics alb419, glad you figured it out.
    have a good day

• alb419_ny
    13 years ago

Valle Negra

• alb419_ny
    13 years ago

Gentile

• tcleigh
    12 years ago

dieseler - is there any way you could repost your pics? the old ones don't show up anymore...