Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phoebe368

Samoan Gardenia

phoebe368
10 years ago

Has anybody tried growing a Samoan Gardenia in Southern California? I just purchased one from ebay from the seller "hibotanical" along with a Tahitian Gardenia and a Pua Keni Keni. The Samoan Gardenia is kind of droopy even though I watered it. I have it in full shade. The other two are OK though. I was wondering if our dry climate has anything to do with it.

Comments (6)

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Well, what I can tell you is this..

They despise DRY air and will have leaf issues..It will survive, but look anything less than ideal..

They hate COLD feet...Anything less than 60 at night will cause them to look anything less than ideal but it will survive.

They hate no sun and full hot day sun...They must have at least part sun like in the a.m till almost noon, or after the noon sun, or under trees in dabbled sun..They will not flower unless given some full biut not HOT noon sun, or it will burn.

A fun plant to grow though and most pleasing when in flower!

Good luck

Mike

• fenius
    10 years ago

Mine was great for its first year and flowered all winter, now it sucks; it has chlorotic leaves, burned leaves no buds ecc.. I can't seem to understand how to revive it! I'm afraid to give it a lot of fert or iron at this state but it seems a bit greener after the last application..It's a tough plant though!

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Genius.. Give it nothing. That is natural in our environment for it to do that.
    It is almost dormant, just hanging on until it gets much warmer and sunnier.

Once your plant is exposed to much warmer temps and you are able to feed and water regularly, it will take off. Sort of like wintering an annual plant.

Every annual plant I over winter looks like crap, until the warmer temps come back and full sun. Let it rest and just worry about keeping it alive until spring is in full gear.

Mike))

• phoebe368
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for all of your comments. It got a little chilly round here so I brought it in and put a plastic bag around it to increase humidity. I hope it perks up come summertime.

• Bex
    last year

Anyone ever planted it in a hollowed-out tree stump? Good idea? Bad idea?

• Meyermike(Zone 6a Ma.)
    last year

Where do you live?