Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nelljean

Digging Up Bones: What Will You Change Next Year?

Nell Jean
15 years ago

Now that frost is starting to take out most of the green and you can see the structure of the garden again, what will you change Next Spring?

I have rocks that form a little wall. Lavender lantana has covered the stones. I plan to cut the lantana back enough so the stones are visible.

Please tell us what you're changing.

Nell

Comments (20)

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    15 years ago

Next year I plan to dig up a row of Iris I have as a boarder along part of the pathway. They look ratty come summer, and are much more noticable in a large row. I will wait until after they bloom and then transplant some to various areas around the garden. I think they look better in clumps. I will scrounge up some more large rocks to line that part of the pathway with.
    CMK

• luckygal
    15 years ago

I want to redo my island bed and perhaps enlarge it. I'd like to add some large rocks for interest.

I plan to plant some more perennial seeds late winter altho haven't decided what yet.

We started a lasagna bed this summer so it'll be ready to plant next spring. Hope to do some veggies but I'm sure flowers will find their way there as well.

I'm still busily making compost now so hope I have enough.

I'm sure I'll get more ideas here as I read what you all are doing!

• libbyshome
    15 years ago

Remember this Lady Banks rose?

It's going.

Libby

• Redthistle
    15 years ago

I may put a coral vine on each side of my arch beside the Zephrine Drouhin roses. These roses have never quite covered my arch.--They bloom beautifully in the spring and look sad the rest of the time. Do you know if other people grow two plants on the same arch at the same time?

I plan to plant some fruit trees both for visual interest and because I want fruit.

I'll also plant at least two of the Pride of Barbados plants grown from seeds given to me by my mother. These are special plants because my mother passed away four years ago and I'd had the seeds for about 7 years. Couldn't believe they all germinated. I'm overwintering them in the greenhouse where I work.

I will move my volunteer grape vine and put it on a trellis.

I may attempt to straighten my orchid tree which leans over from my one of my beds. I could dig up one side of it and lift that side up so that it's straight.

I may dig up a spirea and a rose (Ballerina) that are both chlorotic and give them away.

• gldno1
    15 years ago

I have replanted and thinned tons of iris. Now I will wait until they bloom next spring and see what needs to be planted for seasons interest. May just have to do flax in among the iris.

Thin all phlox. The one I left standing in the drive border where I put the iris after trying to kill out most of the violets............wow! looked so good for so long with zero mildew that I realized I need to relocate all of them to stand alone or with shorter plants at the base only.

Divide all mums and try to create more fall interest with them.

I don't think I have any hardscape anywhere in the garden. Would love to get some flat river rock from the back of the farm, but that will be on the back burner until all else is done.

Sometime this winter, I want to chainsaw down most of my front shrub border and let it regrow next year. I have Therese Bugnet rose, lilacs, rose of sharon, flowering quince, burning bush, and some very large elm saplings. All grown too leggy and some broken from last ice storm.

Wish me luck.

• spazzycat_1
    15 years ago

I started renovating this Fall and will continue in the Spring, but I am doing two things:

- Adding more woodies to my perennial beds for ease of maintenance and structure.

- Replacing some of the deer favorites with deer-resistant plants. This is not to say that I will ditch all my daylilies or Sedums, but I will have fewer of them.

• seamommy
    15 years ago

I'm going to dig up and re-re-relevel that little fish pond one more time. It's only off by about an inch, but it drives me crazy every time I look at it. Can you say OCD?

I still have a lot of open areas in my shady flower bed that need plants, so I will be filling it in with hostas.

The gerbera daisies looked so great this summer I'm going to plant a lot more of them next year. I've saved alot of seeds and hope that I get enough of them growing under lights in time to set them out in Spring.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    15 years ago

The bulb bed under the pink Dogwood is really working using the landscape cloth and shavings while the bulbs are dormant. I'm thinking of making this into a larger bed, adding a shrub or two more, in the fall adding more bulbs. I already have a Spirea planted in this bed and have just added a little Barberry with pink and maroon foliage.
    Annette

• Eduarda
    15 years ago

I will redo one of my front beds after the works to add a new porch are finished. I need to replant the lavender hedge in the back garden, again after the works are completed. Part of the back garden will probably be reshaped in the process as well. I need to have a volunter tree cut down (it's becoming a hazard). I'm giving up the bed next to the clothesline because it's the perfect hideout place for mice, yuk! This means removing Zéphirine Drouhin and giving it away, IF I manage to dig it out! I plan to keep on adding more stuff for Fall and Winter interest - at the moment more red twig dogwoods are high on my list. If all goes as planned I will have a very busy Winter in the garden, wish me luck and a strong back...

Eduarda

• luckygal
    15 years ago

Well, since posting to this thread yesterday I have already crossed one thing off my list! I had asked DH if he had any largish rocks somewhere in the back-40 so today after I laid down all my compost/mulch that's been cookin' for months he brought over seven rocks of varying sizes. Some he couldn't lift so had to roll into the wheelbarrow and off. Got them arranged in my island bed so now all I need to do is change some of the plants in that bed. That can wait til next spring.

However I cannot continue to ignore the masses of iris either, will definitely have to put that near the top of the list for next year.

• cziga
    15 years ago

There was an apple tree in the middle of my gardens. It was supposed to be dwarf, but certainly didn't look it. Also, it was healthy as a horse but never produced a good apple. Strange situation. We had people come by to look at it, but there was nothing wrong with the tree that they could find. And I wanted the real-estate and sunlight. Not worth it for a tree that we could never eat an apple from, although it was pretty with all the flowers. The tree is going, and the stump will have to come out . . . new garden space to play with!

• sierra_z2b
    15 years ago

luckygal, What iris's do you have? bearded or siberians? I divided a lot if iris this year....both types.

I try to avoid rocks in the garden because of the ant problem here.

Sierra

• irene_dsc
    15 years ago

The only 'bones' change for next year so far is that I'm planning to move my baby hydrangea to a shadier spot. I also will probably move a bunch of smaller things (ok, actually larger, since my hydrangea is still pretty tiny, and smaller than 90% of my perennials!). I still have a bunch of annuals - my cerinthe is still going strong even after a hard frost, as are my snapdragons and globe amaranth.

• faltered
    15 years ago

My brother dug out his pond and gave the form to me. So next year hubby & I will install it. Then I get to create new gardens around it. What looks good draping over water?

I'm thinking iris, some ornamental grass, guara, strawberries??

I'm also going to create another garden in the back of our yard. Some evil neighbors FINALLY put a fence up- a wooden one. Yay! So that will block the view of their yard. Now to make it look pretty on our side.

Plus I need to expand and re-think my potager.

Tracy

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    15 years ago

-cziga, I had to cut down my appletree a few months ago too. It had foliage problems and also kept dropping its fruit prematurely. I hated to do it, but at least that made more room for plants!
    -Tracy, there are lots of cool plants that like to be around ponds. I think Juncus (Rush) is neat. I have a varigated 'Gold Strike' and it does perfectly well in just moist soil. I also like that corkscrew rush.
    CMK

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    15 years ago

Tracy along the front edge of one pool we have assorted grasses, lady's mantel and black mondo grass. Makes a nice soft edging.

{{gwi:760742}}

Annette

• luckygal
    15 years ago

sierra, I have only about 4 different colors of bearded and one cute little clump of reticulata. I really like bearded irises and would love to have more colors but haven't made it a priority. Unfortunately they do multiply!

Nice pond, Annette!

• lvtgrdn
    15 years ago

What I've already done in my new bed, is to let the annuals self sow, and put stems from other areas/yards around in it. I have some money plant seedlings just barely coming up. They are biennials, so they will bloom next year, if they survive the winter. I have some perennials, like red hot poker and a red flowered penstemon that were in the circle bed that was there before the new bed was added to that area that need to be divided in the spring.

One change we always say we are going to make is to have fewer pots. We'll see if that change gets made or not!

Sue

• gottagarden
    15 years ago

Annette that is a beautiful edging! Such nice texture with those different plants.

Changing bones - right now I'm moving part of a privet hedge - ugh! It comes straight out from the house. I decided it would look better and be more functional with the last 30 feet curving out. It's a five year old hedge and so it's large and the roots are monstrous. Only just doable. We'll see how it fares next spring.

I also am transplanting 15 small evergreens for a windbreak / privacy screen down behind the barn.

Next year I want to have DH build a gazebo in my garden, which means I will need to design it this winter. Should be fun!

• Annie
    15 years ago

I bought four big Needlepoint holly bushes (summer close-out sale at Lowe's - 75% off!). They are loaded with red berries. Going to move my roses (again) and other flowering plants over into the former potager garden with the irises (some new and some I dug up, thinned out and transplanted in there. The lavender cuttings are growing really fast and are already 2+ feet tall and very bushy. They are planted along the terrace edge. The roses will go in there. I planted the rosemary plants I rooted in there. The climbing Don Juan will got next to the entrance arbor, opposite the yellow climber on the other side.
    In the area where the roses are now, I am planting some St. Augustine grass in there. I got it from my dad's yard. He dug starts of it out of my yard in Louisiana 20+ years ago and now it will come home, so to speak. I want to plant one of the hollies on the south end and move the Dogwood down to that area to provide shade in summer. I need shade at the back of the house so I can sit out on the patio, since I never got my covered veranda (pergola). I want to add more evergreens for winter interest and create a cool, lush area around the patio, but nothing right against the patio on account of snakes. I hope to extend the patio area out into the new lawn. I planted one very blue Colorado Blue Spruce last year on the upper side of terrace behind the patio. It was small and since they tend to be rather slow growers, it will be awhile before it becomes the lovely specimen tree I dream of it one day becoming.

I have a friend who works at a place where they sell recycled Rail Road ties. "Just bring your little red truck and we'll filler up"! Those will be the new "bones" of my patio terracing. I want to build it up about 3 feet above the patio area. I think it will look pretty nifty - perfect in my "rustic" country cottage style yard.

I have a little round preform pool to set in the ground somewhere...just a little reflection pool in a cool area of the garden with my little garden girl statue set beside it, as if she is looking into the pool. I have a great place in mind.

Well, that sounds like a lot of "bones" to dig up and relocate, but I already have a bit of a start on it and if I do it like that, a little at a time, by mid-summer next year, God willing, it should look like it has been that way for years and it shouldn't be too hard on MY bones. (hehehe)

~Annie

Sponsored