Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowergirl06

Wintering over daylilies in pots

flowergirl06
13 years ago

Have any of you ever tried over-wintering potted daylilies

right outside on the patio? I mean receiving all the winter

cold and snow? (Northern Indiana, zone 5)

I tried this last year, they did grow into nice green plants

but NO BLOOMS. Any suggestions how to get blooms or will I only get green leaves from these potted wintered-over lilies?

Comments (6)

• numama
    13 years ago

I had hundreds in pots that I could not get into the ground one year. I lost most of them over that winter and will NEVER overwinter in pots again!
    Nancy

• ladylovingdove
    13 years ago

I grow all mine in pots but I'm in north central Texas. As long as they are not newly potted up I have no problem. Last winter I lost some that had been newly potted in October, we had a very wet cold winter and they rotted. All mine that I had in pots that were already established were ok. I think people have overwintered in pots in protected areas like a garage in your area. But I would surely look into the posts from people in cold areas. If it were me I would not risk it unless they were dormants, maybe not even then.

Dot

• mitanoff
    13 years ago

Hi:
    I had daylilies in a pot (pot was at least 18" deep) (Dad's white or something like that). It was against the side of my house. Nothing sprouted in the spring. I didn't mulch it or anything. Not sure if I would be willing to try to do that again, even with protection!

• flowergirl06
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your replies.

I think I will try burying the pots in my compost and try it that way. I only have 9 big pots of them.

The rest are blooming happily in my flower gardens.:)

• numama
    13 years ago

The ones I had in pots, had mulch piled up around the pots, I still lost hundreds over winter of 2006. We had a couple bad ice storms and more snow than usual I guess. Last season I had some pots I could not get into the ground so I dug a hole and dropped the pot into the hole, mulched around that and they did fine.
    Nancy

• tepelus
    13 years ago

I know, that with hostas, it's good practice to tip the pots on their sides to keep the moisture out of the pots that cause the roots to rot, and to store them on the north side of the house to keep the temperatures stable, so they don't get the thaw/freeze effect, which can also kill them. Perhaps doing it that way, like the hosta folks do with their hostas would work. If you have a problem with rodents, placing some sort of screen over the tops of the pots can help keep them from digging into the pots.

Karen