Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jmzms

Downtown Gardeners - Are you okay?

jmzms
16 years ago

Praying for y'all this morning with the tornado that came through.

Comments (19)

• holton
    16 years ago

Lot's of lightning last night for sure in StMtn. Not much debris here. Don't know about the second round this morning though.
    Thanks

• razorback33
    16 years ago

I'm several miles east of Atl, no wind or hail here, just tons of rain. All vessels that could hold water, are full.
    Thank you!
    Rb

• bmmalone
    16 years ago

hail, heavy rain, strong winds and lightning last night, heavy rain, wind and lightning this morning around 6am. Waiting for bout number three due this afternoon sometime. No trees down or damage in my neighborhood. Hope everyone else is ok. (i'm in Sandy Springs)

• turkeytaker
    16 years ago

I'm in Marietta, and we're waiting for today's third or fourth round. Yay.

Hope everyone in town is okay from yesterday evening. We were lucky enough to be there and see an interstate sign fall on the cars next to us.

• ollierose
    16 years ago

Lakewood area here. Lots of heavy rain and wind last night. Heavy rain and hail this afternoon.

No damage - thankfully! All my plants seem to be intact and I'm loving all the water I was able to collect!

Diana

• buford
    16 years ago

Golf ball size hail here today. I thought it was a tornado, because it sounded like a train coming, just as they say. But it was just the sound of the hail falling.

At least we are getting rain.

• scotland1
    16 years ago

No damage in Grant Park. The tornado hit about three blocks north in Cabbagetown. I heard it, but don't have so much as a limb down. Of course, we're under a tornado watch now and had quarter-sized hail this afternoon.

• girlgroupgirl
    16 years ago

We miraculously got power this evening, but I can't sleep. Keep having dreams of tornadoes.
    We were in the house when it hit and took an absolute direct hit. Not a funnel cloud but a rare and unusual "block tornado" that just comes in a big, giant sucking square. We lost 20 hardwoods on less than an acre property and have minor roof damage, no house or car damage and it's a complete miracle.
    Around us is a disaster zone. The house across the street has been demolished by their tree splitting the house in half while they were inside (they are OK), three houses on Glenwood are completely demolished.
    We had 5 hundred year old trees down across the road on our street in the path of the tornado but not one damaged a home.
    It is truly incredible. Westender came to check on us and survey the incredible damage. The tree guys worked quickly and have cleared half of the trees out, but now we have massive flooding when it rains because all the neighbors lost their trees (also into our yard, or neighbors yard). It is a real big mess.
    I'm sure you've seen photos of cabbage town and the sadness of the Oakland cemetery and all the historic trees downed there. We have as much or much more damage here, just more spread out. Tree damage on our property was by far the worst in the entire city but our cars and homes were spared so it is not like the houses or cars were flattened by a single tree falling.
    XAmy who sometimes checks in here is also OK in Grant Park.

GGG

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

ggg, I was so worried about you when you didn't post yesterday. I am so glad you're ok and what an incredible story. Tornados can be such weird things - horrific damage in one spot and nothing right next to it!

I'm so sorry about your trees ... I know that means more to you than cars and material things that can be replaced. Losing all those grand trees in Atlanta is a tragedy indeed.

• jmzms
    Original Author
    16 years ago

GGG, I second Esh's comments - I too was worried about you when you hadn't posted yesterday. I'm glad to hear you're okay. It's great that westender was able to come check on you.

I guess we all know what to bring GGG for the trade - trees. :-)

• bmmalone
    16 years ago

GGG, glad to hear that you are ok. Most importantly their was no loss of life when the tornado moved through.

• woody_ga
    16 years ago

To GGG and all the downtown gardeners,

It sounds like no one was hurt, and I am grateful for that. But I am sorry for you losses. I love old trees, and I always hate to see them damaged or die.

I know structural damage can be more quickly fixed, but I know it must make your life unsettled.

I hope everything settles quickly for you, and that things return to "normal."

• girlgroupgirl
    16 years ago

The loss of these trees is very sad. My neighbor lost 100 year old white oak and we both lost our century old tulip poplars. I hope Trees Atlanta has a good selection to help us begin replacing.
    Tomorrow the insurance comes. We'll see what they offer in the way of monies for landscape help. The problems are adding up. Now in our "live in" house we have electrical problems. We just had everything stripped and re-installed so it was all new and working great. Big problems now from where we had power on when the tornado hit. So roof, electrical, trees, landscape and errosion are top priority on the list of issues.
    The one positive thing is that I have lots of open area for native plants. I wanted a native plant and wildlife preserve in one side of the back yard but had major work to do to get it there. I guess God wanted me to work a little faster on that, huh?

Now off to work. Work is just two blocks away and is untouched!!

Scroll around here and you can see photos of the side yard of the pink house. You can't see anything in the backyards, but they were about a thousand times worse than these side yard photos! Tree crew has already cleaned up half of it! FREE FIRE WOOD!!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/extraface/tags/eastatlantavillage/page5/

GGG

• squirrellypete
    16 years ago

Glynis, I'm so glad you and everyone else here who lives in the city are alright. I was hoping ya'll would check in here.

I'm not real familiar with the different areas of Atlanta so when they talk about Cabbagetown or Glenwood I don't have a clue. My mom knows the city though and she was concerned about you. She asked me yesterday if you were okay so I'm glad to be able to give her good news. I know it could have been so much worse but I'm sorry about your yard and all your trees. Hope the cleanup progresses quickly.

Danielle

• scotland1
    16 years ago

It's amazing how much press coverage Cabbagetown has gotten and that East Atlanta has has gotten none. There were news crews all over Cabbagetown today.

• girlgroupgirl
    16 years ago

Last night channel 46 had a crew out here because one of the residents is a reporter. However, I don't know if they covered storm damage other than the smashed house at the corner of Patterson and Glenwood. I know they interviewed people along Flat Shoals in the business district as we had our own community event of everyone going out to patronize the Village yesterday to make up for their lost revenues on Saturday when there was no power. That alone I think is a great story to cover, nice "feel good" in the middle of disaster story.
    Nobody elsewhere in the city we know called us or anything because they had no idea we were also hit by the tornado. I would assume that now most Cabbagetown folks have insurance, but in East Atlanta we are now faced with massive clean-up for the elderly and uninsured residents who live here to make sure they have liveable homes and don't get ripped off by their insurance, or don't get left without a roof because they have no insurance.
    Habitat for Humanity was already out and fixing Chuck's house. He's this great guy who lives around the corner but is retired only on SSA and owns a home but does not have insurance. I think that is awesome that they were right out here taking care of business!

GGG

• scotland1
    16 years ago

I got an e-mail about a workday in Cabbagetown this Saturday. Is anything being organized in East Atlanta? There are plenty of guys with chainsaws and power tools waiting for a chance to use them. If you hear of a time and place, would you post it? I can sent it out to the Grant Park Parent Network, the charter school, and the 2000+ CDC parent listserve. There won't be a problem getting volunteers, but someone has to tell them what to do. Also, if you know of supplies that are needed, I could post that.

• girlgroupgirl
    16 years ago

We have not heard of any specific organization helping Atlanta yet other than our neighbors. Probably mostly because East Atlanta Village has not been on the news, they have mostly only spoken of Cabbagetown and Vinings.
    Cabbagetown really needs help because trucks can't get in there. Our street is almost completely cleaned up because we had room for the massive amount of trucks needed to do the job.
    I'll ask the volunteers from the community here who got together last week if they can get back to you, THANK YOU. Our biggest concern right now is that we have many low income and un-insured residents - many of them elderly long term residents and they need attention to their homes. They need both trees cleared and roofing work mostly.
    At this point I don't have the time to organize another volunteer project myself. Today I signed on to work full-time at my main job, and increase hours at my other jobs because we have a lot of paying to do!

GGG

• WestEnder
    16 years ago

On the morning after the tornadoes hit Atlanta, I drove over to East Atlanta with some neighbors for GGG's church plant sale, which had been cancelled. From there we went to her house to make sure she was ok. I've never seen such a frightening scene of devastation and destruction. In the midst of the chaos stood GGG's beautiful purple house, virtually untouched, but the implications were heartstopping.

I would like to suggest that instead of our spring plant trade on April 19th, we volunteer to meet at GGG's house for a cleanup day of her backyard. I think it would be really great to pitch in together and help with whatever is ready to be done in GGG's yard at that time. I would imagine that might be cutting up felled trees and branches, moving soil and rocks around, rebuilding garden beds, and planting new trees and shrubs, for example. Those who are unable to do heavy work could offer moral support and carry glasses of sweet iced tea to the workers. I have heard that Tools Atlanta is offering free tool rental during March for tornado aftermath cleanup; maybe they'll extend that offer through April.

I have not mentioned this to Glynis. But if she's agreable and thinks it would be helpful, what would everyone else say?

Sponsored