Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katefisher_gw

Question about daylilies and rebloom

katefisher
15 years ago

I'm thinking of ordering a couple more daylilies from Marrieta Gardens. I ordered two Moonlit Masquerade last year and they are blooming now. I love them. I read that they will re bloom but I saw a comment also about a daylily reblooming on an old scape.

I'm not sure I understood the information being provided there. Should I not be cutting off a scape when the blooms are done? I thought they bloomed and that was it until a new scape grew.

Finally one of the daylilies I'm thinking about is Bela Lugosi. Does it re bloom well? And just what is 'well' anyway? I'm wondering if that refers to a longish bloom time or two times per season.

Thank you.

Kate

Comments (8)

• mlwgardener
    15 years ago

Once all buds on a scapes have boomed and there are no prolifs attached to that scape, it will not rebloom.(Or I've never seen or heard of that). The scape turns brown and dies and will fall off or you can cut it off.

Now, if there is a prolif growing on the bloom scape, it is possible for that prolif to grow a new bloom scape and bloom. This has only happened a few times in my garden, very few. You will know if the scape has a prolif, it will stay green below the spot where the prolif is attached for a lot longer time to provide food to the prolif. The prolif will grow like a little daylily(which it is).

Now that I've totally confused you, go to the site listed below.

blessings, Mona

Here is a link that might be useful: AHS site has loads of info

• katefisher
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much. That was really informative. I learned a new word, prolif:)

Checking out your link now. Appreciate your time.

Kate

• running_free
    15 years ago

Thanks for the link Mona! I'd all but swear my Spidermans had prolifs, I'll know by this evening. One of the other links from your AHS link needs to be printed off:

http://www.daylilies.org/ahs_dictionary/Lees_Proliferation_article.html

Thanks again!

Wes

• mlwgardener
    15 years ago

If so, let them grow on the scape as long as the scape is good and green below the prolif. If you're lucky they will form little roots at the base if not, I add a little rootone to the prolif when I cut it off( I always leave about 2" of scape below and above the the prolif) and put it in a pot. I usually have about a 75% or so success rate getting them to grow in pots. I keep them in light shade and keep them moist not wet. I have had blooming size plants by the next year but that depends totally on how big the prolif grows before leaving the momma.

I've got 2 prolifs on my Wild Irish that I got this Spring that are huge and i'm tickled pink about this. They(the scapes) have seed pods so they will grow on the scape until I havest the seeds.

I have had to remove the prolifs when they were tiny because the scape died too quick. When they are this little, it is really hard to get them to start roots. So, the longer they stay on the healthy scape the better.

I had about 30 plants of Plum Perfect in the summer of 2005. I harvested around 75 prolifs from these plants that summer. I have not had a prolif on them since. I have no idea why these plants did this, I wish I did. Heres a photo showing multiply prolifs on one scape and them blooming on the scape. I was amazed!

• running_free
    15 years ago

Thanks for the additional info! It's difficult to keep track of my flowers with houses 50 miles apart but at least I've got internet service here! I've got a friend with an old( but never used) Dell, gonna try to talk him out of it this afternoon. He won it at a company function but has a much nicer setup so maybe I'll get lucky...

Sure would be nice to start some baby Spidermans if what I noticed were indeed proliferations. I've also got some So Lovely's that are known for prolifs so all this information is fantastic!

Thanks!

Wes

• kydaylilylady
    15 years ago

Kate, to answer the rest of your question, I've never seen my BELA LUGOSI rebloom. Perhaps others have noticed theirs doing so but not mine.

Janet

• katefisher
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you very much everyone. Appreciate the answers to my questions and all the other information.

Kate

• shive
    15 years ago

Bela Lugosi is not a rebloomer