Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
downeastwaves

Hi Cottage Friends!

downeastwaves
15 years ago

Dear Cottage Garden Friends,

We been right our straight for so long and I haven't been a good poster and I feel bad about that.

I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas or what ever you celebrate this time of year.

We have completely moved into our OLD fixer and it sure feels good!

I planted 50 bulbs from Breck's in the circle garden in the back yard a couple weeks ago. We had a few days up in the 40s and I got them in! Sigh, they should have been in in October! Hope they come up in the Spring.

The latest storm dropped about 8 inches of fresh snow and it really looks pretty here and at Capen Cottage.

Well, everyone enjoy your time with your families, Gram just turned 95 and we had a big party for her last weekend and we hope to visit Grannymother next week sometime she is only 94! Mom will be here for several days thru Christmas and that will be a real treat for us!

Leasa

Eastport, ME

Here is a link that might be useful: Here are some decorations

Comments (14)

• midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
    15 years ago

Leasa - yea - you are in your new old house, for Christmas!! Good for you!!! God bless your Gram - she sure has seen lots of stuff...

Happy Holidays, Nancy.

• Eduarda
    15 years ago

Oh Leasa, I was wondering where you were! Your new old house looks fantastic all decorated for Christmas. That last pic of the house in the middle of the snow is picture perfect. But I have to admit my favorite is the one of Chase waiting for Santa :-)

Have a very Merry Christmas and congratulations on a fantastic restoration work.

Eduarda

• gldno1
    15 years ago

What a wonderful feeling it must be to finally be at home in the house...and for the Holidays!

I makes me think of an old time Christmas. The decorations just fit the house beautifully.

The picture of the house in the snow should be in a magazine for all to see.

• schoolhouse_gw
    15 years ago

I like your house very much! What style would you call that? And I would die for a fireplace like that in my library. Sigh.

• DYH
    15 years ago

Leesa,

How wonderful to see photos of LIFE in your house instead of the many renovations. Your home is just wonderful!

Tell me about the frost--how did you make those patterns on your deck?

I love all the decorations, especially the fireplaces all decked out.

Cameron

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    15 years ago

Leasa so good to see you back here, so many seem to be missing from this forum of late. I hope everything is well with them. Your new old home is looking fabulous and the way you have decorated for Christmas has made your new old house even more so, you have created a very inviting, warm and charming home. Merry Christmas from our house to yours and may you have the best Christmas ever.

Annette

• thinman
    15 years ago

I'll bet that does feel good, Leasa, especially after all your hard work and elbow grease. Your pictures are beautiful and my favorite thing in your whole house is the fireplace in your adventure room. I love the arched brick and the wood paneling and mantel. Very nice!

I hope you have a great Christmas there.

ThinMan

• libbyshome
    15 years ago

Hi Lease. You're in! A beautiful reward for all your hard work. You've certainly retained all the house's charm.
    Your decorations fit in so well.

I planted tulips the end of Dec. one year and they were fine.

Have a happy holiday.
    Libby

• token28001
    15 years ago

I don't know you, but I love your house.

Schoolhouse, I would consider it a French Victorian. The mansard roof is very nice.

• downeastwaves
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for taking a look at our home.
    Nancy, You are so right about Gram and GrannyMother seeing a lot during there lifetime it is nice hearing the stories they tell about long ago...
    Eduarda Chase has a couple of gifts under the tree and he peeks in at them and I let him know not yet! He is so sweet!
    gldno1 thanks! Yesterday the sun was shining and the snow in the back yard was sparkling and it was real cold out and I failed to go snap a shot, the next time that happens I'm gonna git my rear in gear and get the shot, that would be a real magazine pix. I always referred to this place as our diamond in the rough now that pix would sparkle like a real jewel! The seasmoke was real pretty this am when we went down to the post office and I did not have my camera and we were in a hurry to go shopping....sigh I have to stop and smell the roses!!!!!
    Schoolhouse the style of our home is Second Empire Mansard. We traced the deeds back to when the land was sold from the State of MA to the original owner and then a few years later he sold it to his son and in 1811 his son sold the land and premise to the next owner.
    Cameron, it is like a dream! Seems like all those hours of work at the time it feels like it will never be done and then it is Christmas and here we are! that is the first time I've seen the frost form like that on wood, I quickly snapped a bunch of pix, it sort of looked like wall paper patters, so pretty! It melted away so fast.
    Thanks Annette, I hope to have more time after the first of the year
    ThinMan thanks! They call that fireplace a Rumford fireplace, they say it is used for heat more than just decoration because of the shape and firebox. I miss the trivia hope to participate more again!
    Libby Thanks! I sure hope mine come up.
    token28001, Thanks! The plan for the mansard is to someday do it in cedar shakes and make a course or two of fancy shapes like it probably was at one time. The mansard is considered a 3/4 story so even though we have 9 foot ceilings upstairs the house is considered a 1 3/4 story for tax purposes.
    Thanks everyone for your kind words and for taking a look around!
    Leasa

• token28001
    15 years ago

token28001, Thanks! The plan for the mansard is to someday do it in cedar shakes and make a course or two of fancy shapes like it probably was at one time. The mansard is considered a 3/4 story so even though we have 9 foot ceilings upstairs the house is considered a 1 3/4 story for tax purposes.

My house is similar in tax value. It's considered a 1 story even though I have a basement and an attic that can be finished out. Don't you love those regulations? LOL

Cedar shakes would be gorgeous. Just be sure you find someone who's done them before. They can be tricky to get right both in terms of looks and protection from freeze/thaw.

• schoolhouse_gw
    15 years ago

I was racking my brain trying to remember the name of the type of roof your house has. Thank you. It's charming,and the paint colors are nice too.

• downeastwaves
    Original Author
    15 years ago

token28001 The man that will do the mansard has lots of experience with them and the fancy shakes

schoolhouse thanks the colors are Honey Pot and the trim is Roanoke Red. The foundation will be a nice green next year and so will the decks.

• plantmaven
    15 years ago

Leasa, I am a tad late getting here. Everything is so pretty. y'all did a wonderful job.

Kathy