Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fscodave

groundcover under river birches

fscodave
18 years ago

I know this is similar to a recent posting, but we live in a different area. We just had a trio of river birches put in last year. They form a triangular arc at the corner of our corner property. There's mulch under them right now. Last year we tried some annuals but they didn't work. I was thinking of maybe a boulder or two, and then either some ornamental grasses or ferns or something. Elsewhere we've got tons of hostas, so enough of them already.

Any ideas? This is in the Hamilton area.

Thanks.

Comments (6)

• bobbygil
    18 years ago

I have sort of the same thing but with 3 ugly Bradford pear trees. The area doesn t get much sun at all but it isn t dark. I have Hydrangea Annebelles,oakleaf hydrangeas,creeping jenny,couple diferent epimediums,hardy begonias, solomons seal, hostas of course and wild gingers

• fscodave
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for that.

I should have added that this is on the northwest corner, so the trees get sun most of the day.

• LauraKM
    18 years ago

The RIVER birches tend to soak up most of the moisture and so a lot of ferns would struggle(some of the Polystichums such as tassle fern are a bit better in drier soil), and the hostas would need extra water too. The oakleaf hydrangea tolerates more dryness than the other hydrangeas. Vinca minor isn't picky and would provide lavender flowers in spring. Of course lilies of the valley tolerate both shade and dryness.

• katrina1
    18 years ago

I have three single trunked river birch planted in a triangle along the fence where huge amounts of slow moving water collects from the neighbors steep roof runoff. In the past that collecting water compacted the topsoil which caused the area to sink slightly as the silty soil compressed, and the slightly lower elevation area caused eroded areas to develop.

The comments above about groundcovers that can handle dry conditions under birch trees are great when rainfall is scarce; however, are any of these or other suggestions also able to survive during inches of standing water events which commonly occur during the spring and fall heavy rain seasons?

• creatrix
    18 years ago

IF the trees are not mature, and there is some morning or afternoon sun under them, daylillies will take some extra water, and you could try spiderwort as well. Mazus will also take water, it's a low groundcover.

• indylars
    18 years ago

Pachysandra would be a no brainer. It will form a compact dense carpet within a season or two. Can handle all kinds of conditions.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!