Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jxa44

New to O. Grasses -- ? re mexican feather grass

jxa44
15 years ago

I'd like to do a planting of mexican feather grass en masse. I read on the web that it's a very invasive grass is is going to be pulled from the market. Any truth to: a) it's invasiveness or b) that it's going to be pulled from commerce?

Comments (3)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

Invasiveness of any plant species is usually tied very closely with regionality and climate - it would be highly unusual for a single species to be considered invasive on a very broad scale, so pulling a plant from commerce is unlikely.

Mexican feather grass (Nasella tenuissima) reseeds very freely given the right conditions. AFAIK, it is only listed as invasive in California, but then a number of ornmental grasses are problematic there. It can certainly become a pest here if allowed to go to seed or one lets the seeds germinate. In colder climates, I doubt there is much concern, but I'd avoid mass plantings anywhere in the southwest, eastern WA or eastern OR.

• grass_guy
    15 years ago

Good question jxa44, and good answer by gardengal.

Just like in real estate, invasive potential is critical to location, location, location.

Nassella tenuissima is not about to be pulled from the market. It is, however, not suitable in ALL locations. It's a very useful grass for certain areas, but with all grasses and plants that re-seed, some locations are not wise for planting.

It seems that the term 'invasive' gets thrown around about as much as 'native'. Both are relative to location. Nassella tenuissima is actually a native grass in TX. Of course, seeking plants simply listed as 'native' is not always the answer. Everything is native to someplace, but that place may not be where you live. AND...non-native does not define a plant as invasive either. There are some interesting and surprising plants listed as invasive in some part or other in the US. These include, among others, nandina, euyonymous, butterfly bush, parsley, daylilies, black-eyed Susans and even Japanese maples.

Unfortunately, since you didn't list where you're located, it's impossible to answer any question about a plants potential in YOUR area.

• essurfman
    13 years ago

live in Frazier park ca. Temp in winter20-35 . Summer70-90.
    I have a lott of grannet I mean alott! Will Mexican feather grass grow here?

Sponsored
More Discussions