Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

New Ones and Late Bloomers Shine on Saturday

shive
10 years ago

It's that time in the season when the earlies are fading fast, and the late bloomers take center stage. Pod harvest began yesterday with a pod from Applique X Lavender Echoes. It's still wonderfully cool here, and I spent the morning digging clumps for moves to new homes. It was a perfect day for gardening.

LUCK BE A LADY, a new EM rebloomer, had pinker blooms today than on its ffo earlier in the week.

QUEEN OF NARNIA is still blooming on it's original scapes. It started the same time as Arctic Lace and Winter Treasure but bloomed longer on the first round of scapes than either of those. The scapes, which in the past have been shorter than the registered 25" finally met the mark with all the rain we've had. I still wish those 7 inches blooms were on a 30-36 inch scape. As you can see, it did set some pods this time.

LYRICAL PRESENCE, also an EM rebloomer, started blooming far later than other EMs. This oldie makes a nice clump.

FORSYTH GARRETT MASON had its ffo today. I love this late bloomer!

TECHNY PEACH LACE in the late bloomers bed.

WAVES BECOME WINGS

DARK WONDER has been blooming for a long time.

Zuzu in the evening garden. Can you spot the other cat in the photo? It's Coco Columbus, Zuzu's twin.

Debra

Comments (12)

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Aww, love the cats pic! Columbus looking at you from behind the daylily leaves :) Is Zuzu a girl? I don't remember.
    Daylilies are beautiful. My favorites are Queen of Narnia and F.Garrett Mason. Luck Be A Lady is very lovely. Lyrical Presence is nice and looks like it bloomed a lot. I also like Techny Peach Lace.

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Queen of Narnia looks (and sounds) like quite a plant. I do appreciate the taller scapes on my daylilies and am finding fault with quite a few that are blooming too close to the ground. Luck be a Lady is looking beautiful -- nice addition!

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

The cats are adorable! So glad Garrett Mason is blooming for you. It's a nice later one. That one and Techny Peach Lace are my favorites.
    kay

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nat - Zuzu, short for Zeus, is a male. Columbus is a female. When they were little feral kittens and I couldn't tell their sex, I thought they were both males and called them the striper brothers.

Chris - I'm liking Queen of Narnia much better this season than in the past, and I'm hoping it may rebloom this time.

Debra

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Zuzu gets my vote for favorite but those daylilies are all really beautiful.

• Nancy
    10 years ago

FORSYTH GARRETT MASON has to be my favorite. I have a few of those soft pink which yellow ruffle type, but I really like Luck be a Lady.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rita - Zuzu does steal the show.

Kay and Nancy - F. Garrett Mason is such a nice addition for the late season. I'm excited about using it for hybridizing too.

Debra

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

LUCK BE A LADY is a nice one but my favorite is QUEEN OF NARNIA. Zuzu and his shadow are very nice. Great picture. Marg

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Nice assortment. TECHNY PEACH LACE makes a nice clump shot. You had no issue with getting crosses to take? I've tried but either it was too hot/humid when the pollen was ready or it rained and I couldn't use any of it. Maybe tomorrow I can try again.

Cute pic of the cats.

Julia

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Julia - This was the coolest June we've had here in many years. I have lots of pods to harvest. There were some days when rain or high temps prevented pollenation attempts, but on the cool days more set than usual. I hope you will get some good opportunities for crossing soon.

Debra

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Garret Mason is so pretty, my favorite. Very nice Techny Peach Lace,. and absolute favs are Zuzu and Columbus,

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Avedon - F. Garrett Mason is a charmer. I'm crossing with some of my near white UFs.

Debra