Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djc8505

And the wait is on

DaveinVA (7a)
last month

There is no doubt as to which of my early bloomers will bloom first, that distinction goes to Middendorffii. The question for me is always, WHEN will it bloom. When I first got it, it tended to bloom in early May. Over time, that date has tended to be earlier in the season. Last year it started, and finished, in April (zone 7a) - April 21st to April 30th. This year we had a record warm January, but, to my senses at least, March has tended to be rather cool. So, how will this season play out? I will let you know.

Comments (18)

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    29 days ago

H. dumorteiri is normally our first bloomer, but that honor went to H. minor last season. The scapes were well on their way on April 18, but unfortunately, they got killed by a late frost. (So technically, it wasn't our first bloomer.) Dumortieri was in bloom in the middle of May at the same time as the iris. Our first hybrid variety was Begin with a Bang in bloom on May 28. It was followed by By the Golden Rule on May 30.

Nancy

• Brad KY 6b
    29 days ago

My first is Belle Isle Sentry, around June 1. [the rest usually start about 1 to 1 & 1/2 weeks later]. One extra warm year it was about May 1. It has been rather warm but its been punctuated with some very cool days and nights. So not sure what to expect.

Brad

27 days ago

Look what I noticed today. This is H. minor. It was the first to produce scapes last year, but unfortunately, the scapes got frosted. There is a good chance that will happen this year too.

Nancy

• organic_kitten
    24 days ago

Mine is usually Fernstone and, as usual but a bit later than last year, it has put up scapes. nowhere near blooming yet, it has just begun putting them up.

kay

• DaveinVA (7a)
    Original Author
    24 days ago

WOW! Scapes already. I'm envious.

• organic_kitten
    23 days ago

Dave, I live in central Alabama and the scapes are always early here. It is just a climate thing, but it is fun to see them begin.

kay

• Nancy 6b
    18 days ago

H. dumorteiri is always my first to bloom her in zone 6b, usually blooms 3rd week in April, earlier in warm springs. Once bloomed April 10. So far I see no scapes, but surely should see some any day now. I am rather surprised, I have SDB iris blooming already, almost 2 weeks earlier than normal-they started blooming last week.

• DaveinVA (7a)
    Original Author
    17 days ago

So, my wife and I travelled to Ohio this past weekend, to visit with family and to see the eclipse in totality from my sister's driveway in Stow. My ineptitude with my phone camera prevented me from getting a photo of the eclipse, but that did not diminish the experience one iota! We experienced all the normal effects of a total eclipse: darkness, of course, a silver ring around the sun, it got cold, I saw one star, but others were obscured because there were thin clouds overhead, and the "evening sunset" on the horizon. It was MARVELOUS! I was with seven family members, four of whom had travelled from Pennsylvania, (and my wife and I from Virginia) and about ten of my sister's neighbors. A good time was had by all.

Now to the business at hand. While we were gone, Middendorffii sent up four scapes. The weather also warmed up, after several weeks of rather cool temperatures. Now "the race is on" to see if it will bloom before April 21st, the current "record".

17 days ago

We experienced totality here too. It was awesome! I am so glad we got to experience this once in a lifetime event.

Some of the scapes on H. minor did get frosted but I think others are ok. Time will tell. There is nothing on dumortieri right now.

Nancy

• Brad KY 6b
    16 days ago

We had around 98% I heard. It was cool. We made a homemade box to see it in as well as taking some pictures, and a couple were pretty good.

Brad

• organic_kitten
    16 days ago

I was blessed to see one when I worked in the Chemistry Dept quite a few years ago and one of the physicists had a beautiful set up for safely viewing it and I have a wonderful phooto of it. The one here was only 85% this time, but it was frightening to hear of people actually looking at it with naked eyes. those burns are permanent and not worth the risk.

kay

• Nancy 6b
    16 days ago

We had almost 97% totality here, I was very happy with that. I was too lazy to make the pinhole box for it, and spent more time searching for someone who had the glasses in stock.

• DaveinVA (7a)
    Original Author
    8 days ago

It's been great reading all the tales about eclipses, but today daylilies are on my mind. It's already April 19th, and Middendorffii is nowhere near ready to bloom, so there will be no new record for first bloom this year (the previous having been set last year, on April 21st).

After having the warmest January on record, we had a string of pretty cool weather. In addition, the potting mix in which it is growing is in its second season, with no fertilizer added. I still work full time and have 30+ pots, so swapping out the potting mix is a challenge. I did it for all but three pots in 2022, and it took me all the favorable summer weather (meaning not to hot) to accomplish that. Don't hold back if you have any suggestions!

8 days ago

We have scapes on both H. minor and dumortieri. Some of the scapes on minor got frosted but I think some are ok.

• organic_kitten
    8 days ago

Dave, Mine are at least a week later than last year. Keep checking, especially after any rain. I have 16 with scapes up now including two that just started to show them today.

It is hard to wait but it won't be long now.

kay

• DaveinVA (7a)
    Original Author
    7 days ago

Anticipation is a feeling you can't imitate!

• Nancy 6b
    6 days ago

I spotted scapes on Dumortieri a couple days ago, and look like it will bloom any day now. This is about its normal bloom time, and it has bloomed earlier. Still, I am surprised it bloomed at all. Last year my neigbor offered me a scoop of soil to fill in some holes I have in the yard. I pointed to an empty spot in my flower bed. I knew the soil landed on some of my seedlings, but no big deal. Apparently Dumortieri got a good bit of it, and still managed to plow through at least 8" of soil to bloom. Those species daylilies are survivors.