Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21887604

Sometimes They Do Come Around

User
10 years ago

Here's some highlights of what is in bloom in my garden today, July 20th.

I have a tendency to pass judgement on how well a daylily will perform in the first year. And I already have a list of daylilies that I am ready to vote out of the garden. Lock Ness Monster was on my hit list last year. Fortunately I did not ditch it, because it is looking great in year two and should look amazing when it grows to clump status!

Another view of Lock Ness Monster - I just love the wavey edges!

Miss Tinkerbelle is one of my favorite small daylilies and looks great in a nice clump.

I won Coral Eye Shadow on the lily auction this past winter and it is definitely a winner!

Here's an FFO of Truly Angelic - first time bloom for me.

I had to share another picture of Greywoods Fashionista. This has to be on the prettiest bonus plants I have ever received.

I could not share a picture of Exotic Dancer over the last couple of weeks because it looked like a rolled up tissue. Looking much better today.

Saffron Glow's name says it all.

Lady Liz is looking like the classy lady she is.

Last but not least, Real Wind gets a lot of comments in my garden.

Comments (9)

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Lots of pretty ones today. Loch Ness Monster is gorgeous and is my pick of you photos. Yes, you really can't judge what they will do for three years anyway in my experience. Truly Angelic is very pretty, in fact, they all are.
    kay

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Yes, it's surprising how many people are drawn to Real Wind, an attractive color even though the form and substance are not first rate. Fashionista is my favorite. Lady Liz is not growing in the best spot here; its substance leaves something to be desired.

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Lots of beautiful daylilies today. I get impatient to see my newbies, too, but it usually takes about three years to see them really settled in here. It looks like Loch Ness Monster is grateful he received a pardon. Is the hosta to its right Stained Glass? Very pretty.

Exotic Dancer looks intriguing, and Coral Eye Shadow is another one I've been considering. Nice pic of Truly Angelic.

Chris

• shive
    10 years ago

Loch Ness Monster is really putting on a show, and it looks so pretty next to that colorful hosta! Wouldn't it be great if all daylilies bloomed like Miss Tinkerbell? What a fantastic clump! I also like Greywoods Fashionista, Exotic Dancer and Lady Liz.

Debra

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all for the feedback. I really need to be more patient with my daylilies. Now that I have discovered that I do not need to grow and save every plant on the planet, I can actually let plants move to a new home and not feel bad about it. It took decades to get to that place and now that I am, I can be a little ruthless; plus it is fun to give some away and make someone else happy.

Chris, the hosta to the right of Lock Ness Monster is Paradigm. I will be posting a pictures of a new bloom today which will include a little of my Stained Glass hosta.

Robyn

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Loch Ness Monster and G. Fashionista are my picks. Avedon

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Another nice group of pics. I have TRULY ANGELIC and love the bloom. Has not started blooming here yet .
    Greywoods seems to do very good for you. Are you happy with most of the ones you bought?

Julia

• TNY78
    10 years ago

Really love the spiders and UFs! Thanks for sharing them all! I'm glad you didn't give up on Loch Ness Monster...love the plant and the name!

Tammy

• User
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Julia,
    All the Greywoods I currently own are doing great. Greywood farm is only two towns away from my home, so I should get the same performance that they experience. I was pleasantly surprised when Greywoods Cowgirl Cassanova bloomed this year and it was exactly like the picture on their website (that does not happen very often). I visited the farm for the first time last year and walked away with a long list of daylilies that I would like to add to my gardens. I guess that says it all.