Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulns

How quickly do H's and H's respond to soil pH?

paulns
16 years ago

In September we were hired to plant a set of gardens locally, among them a heath and heather garden. We purchased topsoil locally. Nova Scotia soil is dependably acidic, gardens require liming every few years. The topsoil looked good - sandy-loam. I assumed it was acidic like our sandy garden soil at home. The man who delivered it knew nothing about pH and wouldn't say where he got it - good topsoil is hard to come by here, and he was protecting his source, I think.

I amended the topsoil with peat - about 1/3 peat to soil - and planted 25 heaths and heathers. A month later I got to thinking...Maybe I should have that topsoil tested. Sent it to the provincial lab. To my intense dismay the pH is 7.1.

I dusted the plants with sulfur and watered it in. That was two weeks ago. They're now covered with about 6" snow. What do you think their chances of survival are, given a good snow cover and mulch over the winter? How quickly do heaths and heathers react to soil conditions? The plants were about 5" tall, in 3" pots.

Comments (3)

Sponsored