Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sheriberrie

Best Heirloom tomatoe seeds for north louisiana?

sheriberrie
15 years ago

I am so confused. I just need a great heat/humid loving tomatoe that will can up good. I have ordered Homestead but after research I am not so sure about it. Any Ideas?

Also does anyone know if I plant a hybrid alongside a heirloom if it will cross pollinate?

Comments (6)

• jwr6404
    15 years ago

sheri
    Someone sent me some seed for the Creole Tomato which was developed in Louisana for your Hot and Humid Louisana climate. I doubt they would do well in my Northern PNW climate. I'd be happy to send them to you. If interested PM me.
    Jim

• sheriberrie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Jim.
    I sent ya a email

• Macmex
    15 years ago

Sheri,

Tomatoes planted beside each other can indeed cross. I usually plant mine in blocks (each variety in its own block) and separate the blocks by whatever distance I can give them. If you're interested, e-mail me, and I can e-mail you a guide I did, on saving tomato seed.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• fusion_power
    15 years ago

The varieties you can grow successfully are:

Tropic - Developed in Florida, good disease tolerance, OP.
    Lynnwood - heirloom, nice canner, very good production.
    Druzba - outstanding heirloom, good dense tomatoes with intense flavor.
    Red Brandywine - good production, decent flavor, multiple uses.
    Burgundy Traveller - arguably best of the Arkansas releases, phenomenal production, large fruit.
    Lyuda's Mom's Red Ukraine - determinate, heavy producer, very meaty canning tomato. These are my personal favorite.

There are lots of others that will work for your conditions, but the above list will give you a chance to pick personal favorites and still get tons of fruit to can.

DarJones

• phyllisb2008
    15 years ago

sherieberrie, I have the same problem here in Dallas. I have tried homestead and there ok but does not produce well. I would like to try some heirloom varities. The cherry tomatoes does the best I have them till Dec. or Jan.

• downinmyback
    15 years ago

JD Special C-Tex was a winner for me this year. I live in a hot and Humid area too ( near the Mississippi River). If you like the flavor of a robust tomato this variety has it. They have a small cord and produce alot of fruit.
    We put up Tomato juice, sauce and salsa with it and the flavor is to die for. I hope this helps.